Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Completed Major Restoration & Modification Projects, Announce only NO replies

Old 06-26-2003, 12:23 PM
EFI-79
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely built my 79' F-350 from ground up. I put a 93' EFI 460 into it. It has a C6 tranny. Dana 70 rear end with 4:10 Gears. My cousin and I did all the paint. The inside and outside are completely custom. Plus I got rid of that ugly dash. I have MSD ignition, weld rims, BFG tires. Plus lots of extras.

Old 06-26-2003, 02:26 PM
RangerWoman
Junior User

I just got it going now. The pics aren't the greatest, but I'll update when I can. I've been putting off doing this until my HOOD ORNAMENT gets here, but it is still on Backorder!!

If it ever comes, it is a 6.5" Rearing Horse!!!

Old 07-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Highboy70
Senior User

Just got done with my winter improvements! My 1970 F250 is mounted on a 1974 4x4 frame. I upgraded to a 76 Disc brake front end(best improvement I ever made), changed both axles gearing from 4:09/4:10 to 3:54's on both. replaced cab mounts and, driver's side flooboard. Put a 78 4x4 power steering gearbox in(see pics), 2 inch over (stock highboy) Skyjacker softride springs. Replaced the old seat with one out of a 93 crew cab. I'll try to get some pics of the whole project in my gallery soon.

Old 07-25-2003, 08:23 PM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i just finished after 4 years my 79 f250 ford 4x4 with a complete frame off redo, not really a restoration as the truck only had 672 documented miles on it when i got it 6 1/2 years ago. it now has 7800 on it. frame was sandblasted and painted, converted to a 70 429 with the L+L engine swap kit, 30 over with a cam, roller rockers,stealth intake and a holley 750. it rides on a custom lift with dual rancho's on each corner of the front and rear dana 60'swith 4.10 gears and has dick cepeck 36" fun country radial's. some pictures are up in the gallery, i will have to post a few more of it
before i did the motor swap the truck appraised out at 18,000 dollars, i am sure the appraisal went down doing the motor conversion but it is something i have been wanting to do since my first f150 when i was 18

Old 08-17-2003, 05:07 PM
sigtauenus
Senior User

I know the job isn't completely done, but latest pics are added into the gallery.

Entire truck sandblasted and primered. Cab is done with new paint, all new weatherstripping (separate post on that one). Also got mostly new front suspension and steering. New carpet and a dash cover installed. Seat will have new upholstery as sooon as I get some hog ring pliers to put it on.

Bed is currently primered, needs some attention in a couple spots and will hopefully have paint by Christmas.

Old 08-19-2003, 08:14 AM
smaynor
Junior User

After a 2-year search for "just the right truck", and a one-year restoration, "Scud" was finished in May of 2003. The body was very straight and rust-free, but the bed was in sad shape. I replaced the bed with one from a salvage yard. Price for bed and tailgate...$125. What a steal!

The truck was completely disassembled, the engine rebuilt, all new weatherstripping, interior redone, etc...

The color is 1988 Ford Medium Sandalwood and the frame is painted gloss black.

It was never intended to be a show truck, just a really clean daily driver. I have since put around 1000 miles on him and he is running great.

Just want to say that I enjoy the forum a lot, and even though I don't post much, I am on almost every day. Lots of nice trucks and great information here.

Pics are in my gallery. Hope you enjoy...

Stacey Maynor

Old 09-05-2003, 10:36 PM
zonker27
5th Wheeling

Just completed a frame-off restoration on my '79 F100. I purchased it new in 1979, put 287K miles on it, pretty much used her up.

In February of 2002, started disassembly. Every part was blasted, dipped, or replaced with NOS or better. Parts acquired from just about any source out there, including eBay, ***, Motor Haven, and several salvage yards.

Frame, suspension, and entire underbody shot with black urethane. Inside of bed has RhinoLiner sprayed on.
The interior was pretty much put back original, but I added Dynomat sound deadener on the floor, firewall, and inside the doors. That helps the Kenwood KDC-X859 CD/MP3/Receiver sound as good as possible. I also added a 3 zone seat warmer as I was rebuilding the seat (I got used to warm seats in the winter while driving a '98 F150 Lariat).

The paint is matched to the original Ford color code 'T' (Candy Apple Red), but instead of the factory lacqer, we shot 4 coats of red followed by 6 coats of clear. Then we spent 3 weeks blocking and rubbing the clear down to what you see in the pictures.

Under the hood, I still have the original 302, but rebuilt it with a Comp Extreme Cam, Edlebrock RPM heads and Intake, Holly Street Avenger 670 Carb, Hooker Jet Hot coated headers, MSD Ready to run Distributer and wires. Runs great, turning an older Tremec 4 speed OD manual transmission, followed by a 3.50 Locker rear end. Whole thing rolls on Michelin 31x10.50x15's mounted on Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels.

As far as performance, it'll go from a dead stop to 60 in just over 6 seconds, which isn't too bad considering it still gets about 16 MPG on the highway. Haven't had time to get to a track to check the 1/4 mile time yet, but that time is coming. Besides, it's my every day driver, and I really don't want to torque on it too much.

Along the way, I got a lot of great advise from the guys on this board, and have referred many to this site to help them with their projects. Thanks again for all your help!

Old 09-16-2003, 04:45 PM
jamessl1
New User
Thumbs up Completed Major Restoration & Modification Projects, Announce only NO replies

Just finished her up. Still waiting on my bucket seats. 400v8 30 over. Machined heads,screw in studs,Manley guide plates, roller rockers. comp RV cam. High volume oil pump,TRW pistons.Holley aluminum intake,Holley670cfm4bblsingle pumper 4x4carb,weiland aluminum waterpump,moroso high rise chrome valve covers.K&Nair filter, dual battery system with MEAN GREEN alternator. Rattleguard spray in bedliner. Body painted with Dupont Imron Phantom Grey, POR15 on the frame and cab floor.High power stereo system. Soon to get new springs on all four corners from Skyjacker and some bigger tires. Started in the spring..took some time off of work so I could get it done before fall. If I got paid 5 bucks an hour for the time spent we could all go to Disneyland...LOL

Old 10-07-2003, 02:18 PM
goonski
Junior User
Hi, everyone. My truck that I am working on is a 78 F250 4x4. The powertrain cosists of a swapped in 460, C6 auto, NP 205 case, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear axle. Engine mods include, 750 carter AFB carb, Crane Powermax 272 cam, 30 over forged pistons, shaved heads, ported, hooker headers, flowmaster exhaust. The transmission has a stage 3 shift kit, 2000 stall converter and much beefier clutches. The Tcase is stock, rear end has a posi while the front end has a limited slip. Suspension is lifted 6" using Rancho springs and shocks. I am running 16.5 x 14 monster wheels and 17x40x16.5 Monster mudders. The body is lifted 2". All of the body modifications I done myself which include, a tilting front end that is all the original front sheet metal and the original hood still opens in the factory way. Custom made rad support, battery relocated to inside of frame behind cab, under the bed. Both fuel tanks were removed an a custom tank that is now in bed made from checkerplate alumininum. In cab the stock auto trans steering column is gone in favor of a column from a 79 F350 manual trans, and installed a B&M floor shifter. Right now I'm still working on the body as I have 1 cab corner installed and have 1 to go. Both doors were replaced with new ones. What really slowwed this project down was trying to find a new box! The old one was rusted terribly from having a box liner in it, the floor was full of holes. I eventually found a good box with a perfect floor but needed new sides. The new sides need to be put on yet. Still need to do some small things yet like whetherstripping and such. Hope to have on the road for next spring.

Old 10-15-2003, 08:58 PM
78xtra4x4
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I built a '78 F-250 short bed super cab 4x4. After seeing the articles in OFF-ROAD a few years ago, I got lucky and found a cherry short super cab F-100 for a deal and then located an F-250 4X4 organ donor. They did a 1/2 ton 4x4, so they weren't much help. I did it virtually alone over the course of a year (except for spraying the paint). I drive it daily and have over 40,000 miles on it in just over 3 years.
All suspension hangers,steering, crossmembers, etc. are factory Ford F-250 parts with Superlift 4" springs, velvet ride shackles, Trailmaster SSV shocks.
The 2wd, AT, AC, carpet truck is now 3/4 ton, 4x4, granny 4-speed, rubber mat, brushed aluminum door panels with 4.10 posi.
I pull a 10,000 lb. trailer (with tractor and harrow) occasionally.
Even the spring hangers for the rear axle had to be changed because the 3/4's springs are wider than the 2wd. It has dual crossmembers in the front because I left the i-beam crossmember in place and trimmed the bottom before welding in the entire section from the 4wd. The axles are more square with each other than most of the factory trucks and it drives perfect.
Removing the AC was hard because I had to put a plate over the gaping hole in the firewall and the add the standard heater.
Driveshafts are custom made at Cline's.
Sorry if I rambled , but there's really too much too list. As I put in a reply to someone else thinking about doing this - I love my truck but I don't know if I would do it again.

Old 10-16-2003, 09:01 AM
gdavis2265
Senior User
Lime Green CrewCab

(pics in gallery)

I searched for a few years for a decent 67-72 Crewcab Shortbed 4X4 F250 highboy. I never found one in good condition, so I ended up selling my new truck and buying a junker out of a field. This truck literally had a hay bale in the rear seat, almost nothing was usable on it. Everyone called me crazy, heck even my daughter would not ride in it when I finally got it on the road and was halfway drive-able. (when she first saw the truck, she screamed and yelled "It looks like a tow truck!") This kicker here was it was my only transportation and trying to do a major resto was near impossible. I finally finished the project in just over a year and over 16K (way over what I originally thought it would cost) But, pretty much every thing is new or rebuild, I guess really the only thing I haven't rebuild was the transfer case and the front drive line. (I still need a new slipyoke on the drive line, has a slight vibration above 45 in 4wd) Please check out my gallery for some more details. BTW, I couldn't have done it without this forum and all you guys. I have learned a lot!

Old 11-12-2003, 11:36 PM
F350NUT
New User
I restored my 76 F250 Highboy back in 91'. It took about nine months and about $3000. I did most of the work myself, the guy I bought it from helped paint it. Has a 390, NP203 transfer case and 4 speed tranny, custom front bumper and factory shell.
I just purchased a 79 F350 supercab 4x4 that I am getting ready to restore. There goes all my free time and my paycheck, oh well you got to love it.

Old 11-28-2003, 10:19 PM
infoford
New User
1979 Four Door Bronco

This Project is done I was smart enought to take pictures of the project as it went along

http://www.ncspecialties.com/autobod...door/index.htm

this a direct link to all the pictures and descriptions

Old 12-03-2003, 04:34 PM
itlkick
Senior User
Without saying too much - 78 F350 4x4 Dually Supercab (Ford never made one so I did).

www.8lug.com

Old 12-31-2003, 05:45 PM
fordlover
Junior User
Originally bought by my father in 1990 as a Farm Truck from a local farmer. Used by myself as high school vehicle and given to me when dad bought his 97 PSD.
Frame off Resto on rear, blasted rest of frame and underneath of cab, all was painted and under-coated. Tired of my truck bed always rusting thru, so I put a flat bed on it that I came across. Very nice usable piece, kinda like the look even. Extra leaf springs in front and rear.
Interior removed, all new paint, new carpets, and dash pad. With 105,000 or so miles, new 460 in the works as we speak!!
Dad loves driving it now as much as he does his new one, if not more!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Completed Major Restoration & Modification Projects, Announce only NO replies