Sponsored by: DP Tuner

A Loose Bolt Can Ruin Your Day!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:52 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy A Loose Bolt Can Ruin Your Day!

Two weekends ago I went to hook up up my 12' utility trailer and after doing so TRIED to take off. The truck slipped a little, but started to move. After a little more throttle, it was underway. As I moved out onto the road in front of my house, my trans started slipping worse and would barely go. I backed back into the driveway, as reverse worked great. I unhooked my truck, found another I could borrow, pulled mine away from the trailer, and went about my business since I was already running late. The next day I pulled my truck back over to the garage driveway and backed it into my garage. I did my research into why this could have happened, hoping for a simple solution. That Monday night, I pulled the trans pan, valve bodies, and separator plate to discover my suspicions were correct in that the forward clutch feed bolt had backed loose and bled off forward pressure. I am going to try and document my current rebuild and upgrades that should eliminate any further problems and explain why this happened in the first place.
Here is an album 4R100 Rebuild and Upgrades pictures by mueckster - Photobucket , I started on Photobucket, to show my upgrades and explain some things I learned about the rebuild process and hopefully help others along the way. Any questions, comments, or pics (more on the way) you'd like to see, let me know. I am in the process of doing this right now. I had to gather up all the parts over the last two weeks and work has kept me from getting to it until now. Thank God for friends. I have a truck that I can use for as long as needed. I called in a few markers.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:32 PM
PlatinumPete
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That stinks Roland. Was there any major damage or are you just doing upgrades since you are in there? Either way, I hope all goes well for you.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:41 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
No major damage, Pete. I could have basically put in new bolts, retorqued them, and been on my way. The only thing was not knowing the condition of the forward clutches due to the slipping. I figured "better safe than sorry" and tore it down. I'm glad I did, as that would have only been a temporary fix due to the finding of the "walking" center support and not wanting to take chances of failure on a long trip from home.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:41 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Roland,

Great stuff on Photobucket. Keep it coming. I'm like a sponge.

Reps sent.

Edit : A "walking" center support could leave You walking.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:47 PM
PlatinumPete
Posting Guru
That's good to hear, at least now you will be all set.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:48 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Roland,

Great stuff on Photobucket. Keep it coming. I'm like a sponge.

Reps sent.
I want to point out the trouble spots to look for when rebuilding one of these yourself. Wear on the center support was not that severe when I had it it apart before. Seems to have progressed nicely with the help of a few "power adders".
"Hindsight is 20/20." I wish I would have learned of some of these upgrades when I was doing the first rebuild about 37k miles ago. Would have saved me some grief now. I just want to pass on what I've learned to the Brotherhood. I will be doing a few other small mods to the valve bodies, too.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:10 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would be interested in your list of reccomended upgrade parts.

It can wait till you're all done. You may add some things you may not even be thinking about now.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:10 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice job on the write up and pic's.. keeping tabs...couldnt rep ya but this thread will be well worth the 5 starts.......

Old 04-10-2010, 06:10 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Those bolts working them self loose kind of concerns me. I know you torqued them down properly on your rebuild. Now I'm starting to wonder about all those valve body bolts I played with on my wife's truck.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 PM
74baja
Elder User
Hah, and I thought I was mechanical. That's impressive, Roland. I hope I can learn to tear down a transmission someday.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:27 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm really impressed of your knowedge of these tranny's Roland, looks like surgery for the 4R100, subscribing..

Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Roland, this is awesome stuff. Your documentation is great and so are the explanations. I am sure the entire Brotherhood would be very interested in a detailed write up of your thoughts and experiences with this. I consider myself very mechanical and would be willing to do a transmission tear down if mine were to go.

That is the one thing on my truck that I cannot afford to have break until I get on my feet here in Alaska.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, man. Sorry to hear this. Looks like you're doing it up right though. Maybe you could move to the north east someplace and be the "Brian" up there...

Old 04-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Sorry to hear the bad news Roland but Nice job on the repair.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:59 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Great Job Roland! there is also nice article in this months Diesel Power that shows John Wood going through a tear down and rebuild. Guess What? The feed bolts were loose in the tranny he was working on too.

Quick Reply: A Loose Bolt Can Ruin Your Day!