Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

A Loose Bolt Can Ruin Your Day!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:08 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, you know your stuff Roland, reps will be sent for the fantastic writeup and pics when I can, really learned something about these trans..

Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa
Wow, you know your stuff Roland, reps will be sent for the fantastic writeup and pics when I can, really learned something about these trans..
I can't take all the credit, Mike. I was talking with one of the trans techs at Suncoast and he gave me a few pointers. Nice fella. He told me to let him know how it all turned out. I guess I owe him a phone call and a big "Thanks". I just keep learning more new things all the time.
Wish I had shown my upgrades to the accumulator and main vb's. I guess I could scan the pics from the instruction sheets and add them to the album, if y'all would like to see them.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:09 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mueckster
I can't take all the credit, Mike. I was talking with one of the trans techs at Suncoast and he gave me a few pointers. Nice fella. He told me to let him know how it all turned out. I guess I owe him a phone call and a big "Thanks". I just keep learning more new things all the time.
Wish I had shown my upgrades to the accumulator and main vb's. I guess I could scan the pics from the instruction sheets and add them to the album, if y'all would like to see them.
Thats how we all learn, from others and its nice when a professional shop offers their expertise to help somebody with a DIY job. I'd be interested in those VB modifications, I was in the VB area when I swapped in the JW accumulator so its pretty familiar..

Old 04-18-2010, 11:25 AM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good job Roland. Someday I would like to go into detail with you about the VB mods you done. Did you mod the pump?

Sorry, gotta spread the reps.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:50 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by big poppa
Thats how we all learn, from others and its nice when a professional shop offers their expertise to help somebody with a DIY job. I'd be interested in those VB modifications, I was in the VB area when I swapped in the JW accumulator so its pretty familiar..
I added the scans to page 2 of my Photobucket album. You probably don't have to worry too much about the first one, but I do recommend the second. If you buy a Tugger kit, you won't need to buy it separately.

Originally Posted by nissandoc
Good job Roland. Someday I would like to go into detail with you about the VB mods you done. Did you mod the pump?

Sorry, gotta spread the reps.
Darrell, I would love to talk trans with you again. All the mods done to the pump are included in the HD2 and Tugger kits. I just added the "on-off" type lock up conversion valve for the TC lock up.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you have Big Red back on the road. Good job with this. I went the easy way and let Brian take care of the dirty stuff. lol.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great job RolandThat is most impressive.I am still in ahh with the knowledge on this site.I do not have the courage to break into an auto by myself.I am very impressed.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 AM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roland I was just wondering if the pump mods were really necessary since Jody can up the pressure with tunes.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:31 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by nissandoc
Roland I was just wondering if the pump mods were really necessary since Jody can up the pressure with tunes.
I think the pump mods are worth doing. Electronic control of pressures is limited to line pressure controlled by the EPC solenoid. Torque converter lock up pressure is controlled by a separate regulator valve in the pump. IIRC, lock up point and pulse width of the TCC solenoid is the only electronic controls of the TC that I'm aware of.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:28 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Roland I was looking at your pics and seen the note about the steel pistons and aluminum ones.I have a tugger HD2 kit and I will change all my pistons to steel when I do the valve body.

Were did you get the other two steel pistons from?

I picked a trans real cheap so I can learn on it first before I tear into mine.If the pump looks good I will do thoses mods also.That way I can pull mine and just swap out the parts and not have alot of down time.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:42 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by beanhead6D5
Roland I was looking at your pics and seen the note about the steel pistons and aluminum ones.I have a tugger HD2 kit and I will change all my pistons to steel when I do the valve body.

Were did you get the other two steel pistons from?

I picked a trans real cheap so I can learn on it first before I tear into mine.If the pump looks good I will do thoses mods also.That way I can pull mine and just swap out the parts and not have alot of down time.
I got the steel regulator pistons from Transmission Parts USA. Here is a link to the kit. E40D 4R100 transmission accumulator valves E40D shift kits

Old 04-27-2010, 04:48 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Thanks Roland!Going to get them on the way.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:30 AM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by beanhead6D5
Thanks Roland!Going to get them on the way.
Well I have my steel valves on the way and will be ordering the sonnax valev mod also.
Sonnax Transmission, Torque Converter, Performance, Driveline Parts :: High Performance Transmission :: 36947-09K :: Part Summary

Dumb question is the pump assem the from a 99 trans to a 01 the same?

If it is I will be able to mod the pump from the 99 with my HD2 kit and just swap out the pumps.RIGHT?

I would like to be able to go through the hole trans,but time and funds are not on my side right now.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:16 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have that same valve body sitting on my shelf wrapped in plastic with only about 1000 miles on it.the rest of the kit is in the trans...

Old 05-15-2010, 01:24 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
i have that same valve body sitting on my shelf wrapped in plastic with only about 1000 miles on it.the rest of the kit is in the trans...

For the towing I do and I'm not pushing much HP yet.I beleave this will be a good mod.

Quick Reply: A Loose Bolt Can Ruin Your Day!