Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Anyone needing metal in mid TN area

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:26 PM
willy3486
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone needing metal in mid TN area

If you need metal in the Mid TN area check out Southern Central scrapyard just outside of McMinnville going towards Morrison. They have a lot of crap from factories and they still let you walk about their yard. I took some soft drink cans for my daughter today there and walked around. We made a deal with our daughter to teach her to work and save years ago by having her to crush our old cans. She gets to put the money in the bank for college. Anyway I needed some metal to build a frame for a homemade bandsaw sawmill I am making and found what I needed. I also found some nice scraps of metal that has stamped holes in it. I wanted some like that to seal in my trailer sides. Its one of the TSC utility trailer specials. I got out for a total of 11 bucks. It was about 20 cents a pound.

They get a lot of factory scrap from the area. They also sell the roller wheels, I bought some 6 inch ones for about 3 bucks a few years ago. I was going to make a heavy duty flatbed cart to roll around. The metal that had the holes was about half of it with holes and half without. The pile I got the steel tubing had a lot in it. As with scrap most you see has been cut,welded,etc. But the pieces I got were 42 inches long. The pile it was in was at least 15 feet high. Years ago before I rewired my truck I got a box full of new wire for about 5 bucks. It would fill about two of the milk crates you see in stores. So if you are out my way and need a few pieces check them out.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
good to know stuff!

Mitch

Old 04-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Paco_Jones
Senior User
Hey hey!... I know that place... never been there tho. My bro lives out in Morrison!

Old 04-10-2010, 07:31 PM
willy3486
Senior User
Its a good place to deal with. A Hennessee family owns it. They have always been good to me. When I first started going there it was more of a true junkyard. Now its become more of a scrap metal /recycling center. Usually if a car comes through it gets crushed quickly, I think the same day. The stuff tends to be gone the next time I am out there, I average once a year though. I would have loved to got the assembly line rollers from there. I wish I had about 200 bucks and a day to scavage the place. So if your out in my area check them out. They are open Mon-Fri. They quit being open on Sat a few years ago.

Hey Paco I take it you are a Jones. Are you originally from this area? If so we may be related. If you remember being related to Dottie West then we are. She was related to my grandmother.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:26 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
I want to get my window hole in the passenger side of my mid Econo welded in, likely need to be a patch panel from a van, would be cool to build an aluminum bed frame, wish I had a welder.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Paco_Jones
Senior User
Whoa cool Your related to a famous person!

My last name isn't Jones tho, sorry for the confusion lol

I have a long history of nicknames so people started putting some of them together and that one stuck for some reason lol

My name is Brandon Darrah. You live close around Mcvegas somewhere? I'm up that way alot since my bro moved out that way.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:47 AM
freekyFX4
Senior User
My wife's family is in Smithville, and we spend a lot of time up there. Beautiful country!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:12 AM
willy3486
Senior User
I live about half way between Smithville and McMinnville. If you travel 56 you go right by my house. I am about 1/2 mile from the county line. They are getting ready to widen the road out here. As it stands they are getting my front yard but not the house. I still will have about 30 feet in my front yard I will own but then there is another 60+ feet to the road. So I think it will still be about 100 feet from my house. We are planning to sink steel post in the ground with a white picket fence to keep vehicles from hitting the house. If anyones out my way give me a yell in advance. That way I can try to be here.

In this nick of the woods there are quite a few who are related to her. I think my grandmother and Dotties mom were sisters or cousins. I never met her but I did see her sister once or twice. There are quite a few of the well known musicians out here. But they are just like anybody else only more well known. the ones I know or met have been down to earth.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Paco_Jones
Senior User
Ohh, ok... you're not too far away then. Yeah they are going nuts with widening roads around here lol They have hwy 70 out of mcminnville, yours and they have 53 over here in Manchester about half done.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:06 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
I go through Smithville heading to I-40 when going to see my family in east TN, rather than going down 231, I love the scenery, Center Hill is beautiful, would like to get out on the lake one day, may rent a boat.