West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 5_labsownus

The Last Hours With Dad

Old 04-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Paul T
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Last Hours With Dad

Hello all, I know I have been away for a while but My Dad had been in the ICU for 2 weeks. He had COPD and caught pneumonia, had been on a ventilator. He finally got off the ventilator but he was just too weak. He finally decided it was time to go. He died Tuesday April 6, 2010. He was the one that got me into Fords, he always had one.

You all may think I am crazy, but being with Dad the last hours of his life was the greatest thing since my kids were born. When they unhooked him from the machines the nurses just give him some morphine to stay comfortable. He was ready to go. For the first 2-1/2 hours we talked and laughed with him like nothing was wrong. Don his brother had come in last week and read the road to salvation to him and he was saved. Monday he flatlined on us and after a few minutes that way his vital signs just came back and he was doing better with us Tuesday. That night, after everyone was in the room, he just kept going on and on about how he had went to heaven the night before. I ask him what heaven was like and he said it was sooo beautiful. He saw blue lights, red lights, and a big white light and it was so peaceful. But, he said they told him he had to come back and tell everyone that they had to get right with the Lord because he was right with God and was going back. He just kept telling everyone they had to get right with Lord. Then he said that he was so mean, so I ask if he was talking about God or Jesus and he said no the other one. I the ask if he was talking about the devil and he said yes, he was mean and we had to stay away from him. Then he saw his own funeral and told us about it. He knew and recognized everyone there with him and talked like nothing was wrong, joking, giving instruction, and inspiration. At one point he heard the beeping from the machines in the room next to him and told them to turn it off. What was unusual about that was he did not have his hearing aids in and nomally could not hear much without them. It was the most awesome thing I had ever experienced, he was so full of the spirit and made it easy on all of us. There was no doubt where he was going. As the people left he waved and said good-by and told them he loved them, then said he was getting sleepy. Mom and I stayed with him and held his hands while he slept for about another hour, then they moved him out of ICU into a private room so anyone that wanted to could be with him when he died. My brother and I had been at the hospital for over 30 hours and we went to his house not far from the there to freshen up and rest a little.I told Dad before I left that we would be o.k. and to go to the light. We had not been at my brothers house more than 10 minutes when Mom called and said he had passed away and that her and my sister had been with him when God called him home. I went in to see him one more time, told him that we would miss him, then I closed his eyes.

I will never foget that time with him, he was so peaceful, and it was an experience that I hope you all have the chance to experience. He will be sadly missed, but most of all he will be waiting for us in heaven. There will be alot of stories that will come from the people who were there with us that night, everyone with their own memory of him during this time. Most of all just remember one thing, you have to get right with God before you die.

Mom heard him call to her Tuesday night after she got home right before she went to sleep. He is no longer in pain and he is with us in spirit. Thanks everyone so much for your prayers.

God Bless,

Paul T.

P.S. I do not expect everyone to understand and people may try to explain it someother way, but that is O.K., I know what I believe and nothing or no one can change that.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Oldtrucknut7077
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paul, I want to send my deepest condolences to you and your family. Even though it was a great loss to you, he was able to make peace with many and express his love. I wish you and your family the best through the tough times and hope you all remember the good times.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Paul T
More Turbo
I appreciate you condolences, Dad taught me how to work on cars and trucks especially Fords. After he retired and could not work on his vehicles anymore, he would always call me up to come take a look at his Ranger. I would either fix it or send him to someone that could. He touched alot of peoples lives and will be missed.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,051 Likes on 4,154 Posts
Paul...good thoughts for your Dad on the new journey he has undertaken. Also good thoughts for you and all the loved ones left behind!!!

Old 04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow Paul, what a story, thanks for sharing.

Sorry to hear he passed away but glad to hear it seems like everyone is at peace with it.

Prayers to you and yours.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Paul, lucky you! You and your family made time to spend with your dad...and in return your dad more than made it worth the time spent with him. You got to talk...to smile...to laugh...and to be with your dad in a spiritual way. What more could a man ask for? Part of me wishes I could have done that with my dad...but I had a four hour drive after I got the call. My friend, I wish you and your family peace and love...although from the sounds of it, you guys already had peace and love...with your dad!

Peace and prayers!

Joe

Old 04-10-2010, 08:34 PM
PreciousOne
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Paul I am terribly sorry for your loss, and appreciate your story fully.....

please know that you and your family are in my prayers, and that he is still with you....

I never really thought much about all that, the afterlife, until losing my own Daddy......

living, laughing, and loving makes life worthwhile.......

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Old 04-10-2010, 10:52 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 304 Likes on 279 Posts
Paul I just want to say my condolences to you and your family with the loss of your father and thank you for sharing this with all of us during this tough time.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:16 PM
plumber01
Post Fiend
I am so sorry to hear, but so glad you shared the story. Truly uplifting!!

Old 04-11-2010, 02:13 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paul i understand everything you said. My dad is 48 and suffering from ALS. Jan 2009 he went in for a feeding tube and trac. I was in Flordia on my honeymoon. When we were as far back a VA my mom called to tell me his BP was up and down and that i needed to get back asap. When we made it to Ruby he was stable again. He spent 5 weeks in Ruby because of complications. Not until this past fall did he tell me what went on. The Pastor was there with him while my mom took a break. The nurses came in to take care of dad. They had to unhook his trac for some reason. Now at this point hes lost all body movement other than his lips and eyes. HE couldnt get there attention and he started blacking out. He said that he saw God and talked to him. He told me about seeing relatives and friends that have long ago passed on. When he came back to he was in the room with the Pastor who was crying. They had called TOD on dad. I truly believe what dad has told me. The look in his eyes is so serious.
Dad should have left us long ago but hes still here. Anytime someone has that experience its amazing. It sounds to me like your dad had things worked out with God and was happy to go. That has to put alot of peace in your heart. Hopefully the lost members of your family will take notice of what your dad told of before he passed.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:20 PM
magicmanwon
New User
Im sorry for your loss....... Keep the faith

Old 04-25-2010, 06:20 PM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,486 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Paul, I want to send my deepest condolences to you and your family.

P.S. I do not expect everyone to understand and people may try to explain it someother way
I do understand and in our own way (Family and I) had the same experience with my dad passing in October.

Rod

Old 04-25-2010, 06:35 PM
racsantina
Posting Guru
Thank you for sharing that beautiful story! My prayers are with you and your family as you adjust to this new chapter in your lives. Diamond Rio put it beautifully, "God only cries for the living, cause its the living that are left to carry on".

Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Alisa
Senior User
Paul, "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord". You have that comfort and assurance. It is so hard losing those we love and having to carry on without them but knowing they are safe in the arms of Jesus and one day you'll be together again is such a blessing. Your account is beautiful and it sounds that God allowed your Dad to come back for a couple of reasons. I pray for God's comfort and strength to surround all of you.

Search this Thread