Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2003, 04:31 PM
Posting Guru

MW95F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cold Morning, Dead Battery

This morning I go out to start my truck and I put the key in and all I hear is just click, click, click. The only thing that was on was my cell phone and that is hardwired in. I thought it could be just the cold weather causing it. I was wondering if a block heater would help prevent this from happening again. It's a '95 F-250 460. I know block heaters are primarily for diesels, but is it possible for mine to need one? I live in NC and this year its been colder than normal, so that's why I suspect the weather. Thanks.

John Deere Ag, CCE, and CF Certified Technician
Kohler Certified Expert Technician
Old 01-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Post Fiend

steve83 is starting off with a positive reputation.

A block heater won't help the battery, but a battery heater might. More likely, it's a bad connection. If you can twist the battery terminal clamps by hand, they're too loose. If they can't be tightened, replace the cables. Use a 4-way terminal tool to clean & resurface the terminals for the best connection.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:43 PM
Posting Guru

mrwizard is starting off with a positive reputation.

I'm pretty sure the block heater wouldn't have done anything for your situation. They main reason for a block heater is to keep the oil warm so it moves through the engine much faster on startup than if the oil was extremely cold. The main benefit for the driver (other than not hearing lifters clatter around for several seconds) is the heater warming up much faster.

If your truck has shown a tendency to crank slowly when it's very cold outside, then one might help. You didn't mention how old the battery is, or if it's even the original one in the truck. Cold weather will definately sap the energy from a battery, especially if it's on it's last legs anyway. It might just be time for a new battery. Just to make sure though, I would get the alternator tested. Most places do it for free anyway.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:16 PM
Freshman User

RichB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking Cold Morning, Dead Battery

Greetings from the land of 10000 degrees below zero. Yup if your battery is over 3 years old the cold can kill em at any time. BTW colder weather has been known to let the bead on a tire leak a bit or even let loose. Wouldn't hurt to check the air in the tires
Old 01-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Posting Guru

MW95F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Problem Solved!! Went to Advance Auto Parts, got it tested and it registered weak. So I went ahead and bought a new battery with more CCA's so I won't be let down by that other one again. Thanks for all the advice.

John Deere Ag, CCE, and CF Certified Technician
Kohler Certified Expert Technician
Old 01-27-2003, 08:38 PM
Post Fiend

steve83 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Next time, I highly recommend the MotorCraft Silver Series battery. It has an 8-year warranty and the first 3 are free replacement. ~$80
Old 01-27-2003, 09:22 PM
Post Fiend

MustangGT221 has a good reputation on FTE.MustangGT221 has a good reputation on FTE.MustangGT221 has a good reputation on FTE.

The battery should be changed every 3-4 years. Lots of times people think its fine all summer long and the first time it's cold that battery just dies. Good prevenative measure is to change it before it leaves you stranded.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:22 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
04, 2000, battery, block, clicking, cold, dead, diesel, f150, f250, flat, ford, heater, plugged, series, short, silver, truck, weak