Minnesota Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: fordpower88

Big Bog State park info needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:07 AM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Big Bog State park info needed

Hey Guys, I figure I'd post a new thread for some needed information. We're planning a 2 week vacation up to Big Bog State park in Waskish MN. Has anyone ever camped there? How are the facilities and is there anything to do around the area? I noticed on the DNR website there is no water hookups. I don't know if we can stand to use the shower/toilet house for the time we will be up there.
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good campground up in that area that has full hookups? All suggestions and/or links will be appreciated. Thanks,

Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 AM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barry,
I never have personally stayed there but some of those parks are nice and others are very rustic. With that one I would lea more towards rustic, I found this campground on the same lake and I am sure they have water and electric and possible sewer on site. Not sure what you are into doing but in that area it mostly outdoor stuff, fishing, hiking, stuff like that. Not sure what you are looking to do bt if you let us know we can steer you in the right direction. When are you venturing to mn????

Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Hey Tom, Thanks for the reply, We are planning to be up there around the first of July, we are going to camp our way up there, stay somewhere for 5 or 6 days then camp our way back down to Mississippi. It will be an adventure. I have family up in Bemidji and Mahnomen, we might try to stay somewhere in between. Hopefully someone will have more imput on campgrounds.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 AM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Barry I put in a call to a buddy of mine that is up in that area alot during the winter ice fishing. I am sure he might know of a few places. When I hear back I will let you know. I camped up there a couple years ago at a ma and pa place but it wasn't all that nice. I believe that was right in Waskish.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:14 AM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish I had some input for you but we just have not camped that area at all. Sounds like a blast. Enjoy yourself.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Skattracker3
Posting Guru
Barry, I have never camped there, but drive through twice a year on the way to lake of the woods. What I do know is it is pretty isolated, well as far as isolated in MN. Red Lake is a very large lake, and good fishing. I would make sure to stock up on bug spray around there to keep our state bird out of your hair.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:27 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Skattracker2
Barry, I have never camped there, but drive through twice a year on the way to lake of the woods. What I do know is it is pretty isolated, well as far as isolated in MN. Red Lake is a very large lake, and good fishing. I would make sure to stock up on bug spray around there to keep our state bird out of your hair.
I've had dealings with them state birds you talk about, ya'll have bigger 'skeeters' up there than we do down here, heck, I thought all that cold weather up there would kill them buggars. At least ya'll don't have them bad snakes up there...although two years ago when we were up there we did see a BIG black bear

Old 04-12-2010, 08:57 PM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barry,
Here is a website that might help with your adventures to Wakish. When it gets closer and you and your family are heading through if you want to stop for a little grilling to take a break from the road let me know. I am just 3 miles North of downtown Minneapolis right off 35w.