Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Senior User

polarspeed is starting off with a positive reputation.
6V Temp Sensor for 302 intake?

Hello, I am trying to convert my stock gauges for my 51 F1 to the 302 SBF intake manifold. The temp sending unit is huge. Has anyone gotten this to work for either the stock 2V intake manifold or the Edelbrock Performer Intake manifold (#2121)? I have the speedo issue solved so that it can be used with my 5 speed manual transmission, but waiting on the oil pressure sending unit. Is there a 6V sending unit for oil pressure? I can't find one.

Thanks, Steve
Old 04-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Your Posting Princess!

Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Why don't you convert to modern mechanical gauges that will fit your engine, that you don't have to voltage reduce and you don't have to adapt 6 volt electrical sending units that are expensive to buy - if you can find them.

Adapting 3 1/2 inch Supro mechanical gauges into your existing gauge cases and using the stock faces is a relatively simple process that only requires some minor cutting of the stock gauge case.

Look in my Galleries. There is a gallery that tells you the step by step and has a picture of each step.

I have done this with my oil and temp. Ammeter does not need to be modified, and gas gauge can be voltage reduced.

Here is a picture of my gauge package after the conversion:

Name:  N. New gauge assembled.JPG
Views: 519
Size:  33.9 KB

Name:  9. Guage Package Restoration.JPG
Views: 480
Size:  57.2 KB
Old 04-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Elder User

HD74 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm using the old oil pressure sending unit with my 12v system. I just added a voltage drop to the gauges. As noted in the picture and it works fine. On the amp meter make sure you run the wire thru backwards or it will show that your discharging instead of charging.

Click the image to open in full size.
As your looking at the back of the gauges, normal 6v pos. grd. would run thru the hoops bottom to top. 12v neg. grd. start at the top loop than down and around to the breaker bar.
1981 FLH
Old 04-07-2010, 08:00 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Doug51F1 has installed the stock flathead type sender in his 302.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:00 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1952, 302, 83, 89, coolant, f100, f150, ford, sender, sending, sensor, temp, temperature, testing, unit, whats