Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Senior User

DanZ is starting off with a positive reputation.
05 SD fuel level sensor...time to drop tank?

2005 V-10
I've found some info on the "fuel level data error" but thought there must be more on this. In the last month or so I get the error on the message center and the fuel gauge goes to E. Happened a cuople times here and there and then the CEL has come on. Have nto been able to get the CEL to go out because it happens too often now.
Have tried a couple bottles of Techron because that is suppose to fix it but no luck after about 150 miles. Can't find any loose wires/connectors.

Has anyone had this happen and not be able to fix it with additive? Am ready to give up and drop the tank.
Is the sensor seperate or part of the pump assy?

Also don't see alot on dropping the tank on SDs. Any tips?

Thanks
91 Mustang LX 5.0 HO Endless mods - One fun money pit!
91 Ranger 4.0 5 spd, 4" Lift
Old 04-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Postmaster

Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.
i used a couple of bottles of fuel treatment several months ago when i was having intermitent fuel level issues.

been good since..

forget what brand i used thou..just be sure to buy larger bottles for big tanks...

"list of previous owned Fords much to long to list here.."
Old 04-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Senior User

RickF350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not sure about the short bed, but the long bed is easy to lift. Just remove the filler and vent tube from bed. Remove front and center bed bolts. Then loosen the rear bed bolts about 3/4" and jack the front of the bed up.
Swamps FICM, STC bracket, Blue spring, HFCM Drain Plug, Pioneer AVIC-D2, Fumoto valve, Line-X, ScangaugeII, Edelbrock IAS, 08 Ford alloy wheels, UWS slimline toolbox, C-Betr mirrors, Gentex auto dimming mirror W/ homelink, compass & temperature, Zoodad mod, Bull Rings bed anchors
Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
If the fuel gauge drops to E fairly quickly, it probably isn't the sender. It's the wiring.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 04-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Senior User

Alot of the info I have found for this is for PSDs but I understand that if the sensor gets messed up by the sulfates in the fuel it will make sensor send a signal that the computer does not like. That's why I figured it was not wiring. It will be fine at shutdown but when you hit the key the gauge needle will rise to E and then drop back down along with the error message on the screen.
I used the brand name Techron in the big bottle. Even mixed it stronger by filling with less fuel.
I thought about lifting the bed but the idiots who lined the bed filled the bolt heads with bed liner.... thought it may be easier to drop the tank rather than picking all those things clean. Just trying to learn from folks who have done it.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Based on what you have said, I would probably just change out the sending unit because that sounds like the problem.

But if I wanted to diagnose it further, I would take resistance readings on the unit and log them at various fuel levels. You will need to be disconnected from the truck harness each time you measure. The first time I had an incorrect "E" reading, measure it again. If you don't see some correlation between fuel level and resistance, you have a bad sender.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 04-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Senior User

The plot thickens.
Yesterday I stopped by my friendly Ford parts desk to see what I'm looking at. Me (being the lucky guy) found out that the $74.00 original in-tank sensor has now been replaced by a $420 unit! It bols onto the fuel pump assy. So my obvious answer was that I'll take it out and mess with it first.

Then, this morning the guage pegged up to full and now stays there. By my guess there is maybe a 1/4 tank in there since I was trying to run it low to make the tank easier to drop.

So now my question is what I can do to test or fix this sensor if I'm going to pull it out. I think it is different than what Bill mentioned in the last post since I think he was talking about what could be done while it's still in the tank. Is the sensor assy cleanable??

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:38 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
What part did they quote? That $420 price might be for the entire pickup and float assembly. You might be able to just buy the potentiometer part of it. I have no idea, but if I were you I would be finding out. That little part of it is all you need. Maybe FTE Parts Guy Ed can help you with that.

When you pull it out, put a VOM on the wires and manipultate the float assembly up and down while watching the ohms. It should be a nice linear scale. Watch for open circuit or shorted spots in the travel. While at it, look for any binding of the float pivot or evidence that the wires might be fouling it up somehow.

Thats about all I can suggest. It could be your gauge instead of the sender. Unfortunately, the gauge is part of the cluster, and it is fed from the PCM. It is not a direct reading gauge like in the old days.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 04-08-2010, 03:41 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Parts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud of
looks to be the pump assy, need more info and a vin.

send me some info via the contact us link on my web page and i'll check it out.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Junior User

bwguardian is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just yesterday finished this up on my F350...it would stay pegged to full, so it was the sending unit. Supposedly, if it drops to empty it is either a ground wire or the gauge itself. You can only buy the pickup/sending unit from Ford and you are over $500.00! I wound up getting a new one online for $100 for a different tank and modifying it to fit with some compression unions and doing some other things to the system as well while in there.

2000 Excursion Limited 4x2 - SCM, Banks muffler, K&N, nice stereo (400w for the wife), TV's/DVD (for the little ones)

2001 F-250 4x2 SC - SCM, Walker BTM, K&N

2001 F-550 6x4 RC - SCM, Walker BTM, K&N

1997 F-250 4x2 SC
Old 04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Senior User

Thats all good info.
I have used this Ford parts guy before and he seems to have been around a long time and knows his stuff. He told me that the 05 Mustangs had a recall for the fuel level sensor but not for the SDs. The prices he told me were less than list price so I don't know how much of a "discount" he was talking. He said the whole pump assy, which includes the sensor, was only $130 dollars more. Go figure. So I'd be around 500 for the pump assy.

Bwgaurdian: Tell me more about what you bought and how you did it.

The parts guy told me there are many part numbers and he said it depended on wheelbase. Don't know why Ford does that, especially because he said my wheelbase was only 2 inches different than the next version. I figured that all the mid tanks are the same for short bed trucks.

Parts guy, won't have the VIN until tonight. Can you give me options knowing it is an 05 F250, V10, shortbed, crewcab, 4x4, in King Ranch trim?

Thanks again
Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Post Fiend

gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Before you condem the old part... do this:

Do a complete reset of the electronics as per link below.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Junior User

bwguardian is starting off with a positive reputation.
You can get them cheaper at Rock Auto...if you consider $300 plus cheap for what you are buying! Basically I did this Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

2000 Excursion Limited 4x2 - SCM, Banks muffler, K&N, nice stereo (400w for the wife), TV's/DVD (for the little ones)

2001 F-250 4x2 SC - SCM, Walker BTM, K&N

2001 F-550 6x4 RC - SCM, Walker BTM, K&N

1997 F-250 4x2 SC
Old 04-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Posting Guru

2002 F350V10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Similar issue. I bought a 2000 F250 xl with the 5.4 as a cheap truck to fix up. Ended up the truck runs excellent but the gauge was always pinned on full. After much research and searching on ebay, I hit a buy it now for $100 for a new in the ford box oem fuel tank assembly which includes a new pump along with the float assembly and shipping was $13.50 Oem ford part number
was F81Z-9H307-AG Seemed a great deal, as I had priced the unit in the $360 range I believe from online ford sellers. I am very busy lately and it seemed a real pain to do, so I farmed it out to a local shop to install and they charged me $180 labor to do it. but it solved the issue, as from the second it was installed the gauge works, plus I have a spare used fuel pump good for the V8 & V10 superdutys. The auction was 350313789792 if you want to see a pic of what it looks like.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Senior User

Good info - thanks
Another strange thing. When I started it tonight the needle was still pegged. I toggled through the message center and tried hitting the rest button. The needle dropped down and the feul level data error message flashed.

When I got home I tried the computer reset as gearloose suggested. Left battery disconnected for at least a half hour and hit brake lights to be sure.
When I started it up the gauge worked, read fairly low just as I thought, and the low fuel message came up just like it should. Big relief for about 20 seconds and then the needle dropped and error message came up.
The only bright spot is that the CEL was out. I suppose it will eventually come on again like before.
Will take her for a spin just to see what happens.

BW guardian, do you have a PSD? If so I wonder if the gas version has the same setup? The hutch thing seems to be for a diesel.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 PM