1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 F250 Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:16 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Originally Posted by KingJL
Finally! After months taping all around the windshield and cowling junction to no avail, I have finally found the source of my musical dash.
<o></o>
First the symptoms and observations:
1. The noise started at about 35,000 miles; First very infrequently then with increasing frequency.
2. The noise was always occurred by a crosswind (or when passing a semi) at 55+ mph.
3. The noise never occurred while it was raining.
4. The noise would stop if windshield washer was engaged for a few seconds (would come back after water was dried off).
5. The noise was always the same tone (never changed with speed or strength of wind).
6. the noise was always the same volume after threshold for tone was reached.
<o></o>
First I tried taping the center junction of the cowling; next I taped the bottom of the windshield, next I taped the windshield sides, next I taped the top of the windshield. The noise still persisted. As I stated earlier, engaging the windshield washer would silence the noise; so I engaged the windshield washer until it stopped and the pulled over and observed which areas were wet. I saw that only the sides were wet so I started looking only in the side areas.
<o></o>
On the passenger side (there is also one on the drivers side) there is an auxiliary door seal just in front of the main door seal that is held in place by press-in nylon body bolts/screws. I noticed that it was somewhat loose. Also I noticed a ~5/8 hole that went into the dash area that was covered by a plastic film. The air was rushing past the front edge of this auxiliary seal and traveling over this hole. When this air got strong enough it would vibrate the plastic film covering and act like a reed on a musical instrument. I pulled up this auxiliary seal and re-installed it. Now the noise is gone. That is music to my ears!
Nice work! Reps to you.

I went looking for this problem one day. Took the cowling off and cleaned it up in there. Put it back on and replaced the center gasket with 3M double sided molding tape. That made it a little better.

Anyone getting a slight tapping noise from that area?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 PM
2506YA
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm now having this problem with mine.
was wondering if KingJl is still satisfied with is fix?
just because i'm hearing stories about being windshield trim.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:09 PM
KingJL
New User
Originally Posted by 2506YA
i'm now having this problem with mine.
was wondering if KingJl is still satisfied with is fix?
just because i'm hearing stories about being windshield trim.
Still satified!!! Have not heard the noise since I removed and reset the aux seal. Before that it had gotten so bad that any time we were in the truck and got to 55 mph it was occuring. I also heard the windshield seal & winshield trim stories/theories. They didn't make sense with my understanding the physics of sound. When I found this (with the hole covered by a membrane under the aux seal) it finally made sense. Regardless, it fixed my problem... no conjecture... just fact!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 PM
2506YA
New User
Good to hear! so, I will look at this today and at same time i was thinking to maybe addiing a little bit of clear sillicone to prevent the loosening latter. Unless you have any objection to it. Did contact the dealer earlier today and under waranty they are willing to have the windshield re-seal just in case it would be that and good customer service.
The only problem is, having all of those things at the same time, i'll never wich one it was causing it.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:47 PM
KingJL
New User
It could be either side. Mine was the passenger side. If you're going to try any sealer (I didn't. I just removed and re-installed the aux seal), I would think you would only want to do the leading edge (to divert air around and not let it get inder the aux seal). Good luck. Maybe you can end up as happy as I am!!!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:51 PM
2506YA
New User
Will post result as soon as fix and encounter same situation that did cause the wistling.
Thank you for your help! Now lets wait and see (or hope)!!!!!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:19 PM
2506YA
New User
Here is my update, like a mention before did all necessary mod to aux. wheather strip and also Cowl gril seam, had my windshield re-seal this morning and i was able to be present when they did it. Actually, they remove the windshield to re-install it in the process they did find a 6" to 8" gap on the top part of the windshield delaminated from the urethane, cause by lack of insufficient urethane on assembly line when they built the truck. So, by re-installing it able them to be generous on the urethane. Conclusion, in my case the windshield urethane seal was faulty, just a re-install and everything is perfect and seal up. Just like brand new. No more "anoying noise".
I strongly recommend to every body that have that noise to try first the aux. wheather strip and cowl seam then ie required have your windshield remove and re-install properly. That should fix it for good.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 PM
2506YA
New User
So King Jl, because i did everything at the same time i can't 100% garanty that it was cause by the windshield since i also did what you did, but i still had something wrong with that windshield integrity and at least now that is fix. So, thanks to the forum for all the helpful advise and making this a success fix!!!!!
Love this site, really good info!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 PM
jimsteph12
New User
Just got my truck back frm the dealer for the same issue. They found the problem, but the foreman didn't hear. I rode with the foreman and he heard it. He thought it was the seal on the windshield. Had all the seals redone and now no noise. Like you, only happened on the freeway and at higher speeds. Only 200 bucks. Mine is also 08 250.

Originally Posted by kmelrose
I have a 2008 F250 6.4 PSD truck that now has about 33,000 on the clock. At around 28,000 miles I started to get an intermittent wind "reed" noise coming out of the dashboard area in front of the drivers seat. It usually happens when driving on the freeway into a head wind.
The Ford dealership could not recreate the problem until today (it's been quite windy in the area today).
They tried removing the wipers, switching the wipers, taping and then removing the cowling but after test driving over 100 miles they still had the intermittent wind "reedy" noise - but no solution.
Has anyone else had this problem?? If so, I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me to help resolve this mind-numbing noise.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:25 PM
2506YA
New User
Too bad you had to pay for it. But at least it's fix!!!! Good to hear!
Mine was covered by 3year/60,000km waranty (even with 62,000), Dealer claim a water leak to Ford to have covered. (and claim a lower km)
Even if i would have need to pay, i would have done it in a heart beat.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 PM
jimsteph12
New User
Have over 100k on mine. No warranty. Well worth the money. Wish I woulds seen this thread first though. Woulds had my truck back a day sooner.

Originally Posted by 2506YA
Too bad you had to pay for it. But at least it's fix!!!! Good to hear!
Mine was covered by 3year/60,000km waranty (even with 62,000), Dealer claim a water leak to Ford to have covered. (and claim a lower km)
Even if i would have need to pay, i would have done it in a heart beat.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:19 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Wow...where has this thread been all my life. Mine has gotten so bad it gives me a headache. It used to be just now and then, now it's all the time. It did it today going 40mph down the access road. I will be all over this fix tomorrow. If it doesn't do it, it's going to a windshield shop. it is bad.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:35 PM
I.B. Washincars
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine does it too. I installed Weathertech vent shades shortly after I bought the truck and heard the noise shortly after that. I just assumed it was the shades causing it. Here in Ky. we don't have high winds very often so I guess I will just live with it.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Aravaipa
New User
Dealership Fixed My Wind Noise

I bought a 2010 F250 Super Duty, 4WD, Crew Cab, Diesel and started getting the mysterious wind noise driving on the Interstate. It only happened under certain (crosswind) conditions or when passing semi-trucks. The first time I heard it I thought someone was honking at me.

Once when it happened I had a small videocam with me so I recorded the 'event' and put it onto a DVD to show the service tech at the dealership. The mechanic took the truck out and surprisingly he was able to replicate the noise. I read (on the forum) all the various theories as to what was causing the noise which I passed onto the mechanic for what it was worth.

The mechanic focused on the windshield seal which I could tell by the remnants of tape around the glass. The dealership sent a glass company to my house the next day to replace the windshield (with another OEM windshield). After breaking the seal and taking out the windshield the glass installers told me they thought it was sealed fine at the factory. They were skeptical that was the source of the wind noise.

Despite the glass installers saying they thought the factory windshield was sealed fine, replacing the windshield seemed to fix the wind noise problem for me. I've driven on the Interstate numerous times since and I haven't experienced the wind noise again. I hope this helps someone.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 AM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Heh...well, this is a rather old post now (over a year ago). And as you can see, I fixed mine by trading it in on a new truck! Yeah, that fixed it good.

Seriously, I hope everyone else got theirs fixed. That was really an annoying issue.

Quick Reply: 2008 F250 Wind Noise