6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Can you run offroad diesel in these trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 AM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had to use it 1 time in my hunting truck, it was 4:00 A.M. and -20* out. All the on road pumps were set to operate down to -10*. We hit all stations in 2 towns and every pump wasn't flowing except for 1 with the red stuff and there was a line of 4 trucks. Hope I don't get my tank dipped!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:35 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by rotun
I had to use it 1 time in my hunting truck, it was 4:00 A.M. and -20* out. All the on road pumps were set to operate down to -10*. We hit all stations in 2 towns and every pump wasn't flowing except for 1 with the red stuff and there was a line of 4 trucks. Hope I don't get my tank dipped!
I would think you could get most if not all of the dye out easily enough by running your tank to near empty, running through a full tank of the regular stuff, and then changing your fuel filters....or....am I over simplifying things?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
I would think red filters would only indicate the truck HAD run offroad fuel but not what conditions. They would need to find actual fuel in the vehicle AND operating on road to prosecute.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:37 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I would think red filters would only indicate the truck HAD run offroad fuel but not what conditions. They would need to find actual fuel in the vehicle AND operating on road to prosecute.
The filter change comment was only made as a result of the other poster who indicated that they had heard of a case where red was found and the penalty went back to mile #1 since they didn't know for how many miles it might have been run. It would seem that changing the filters after running the tank near empty and then going through a whole new tank would eradicate any trace of the dye. Just a thought.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
Man, going back to mile #1 would be some major $$. I almost put some in my truck just out of curiosity. Posted the same question here and got straightened out real quick. In a small town not far from home is an offroad pump that was Calling my name!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:27 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5030tinkerer
The filter change comment was only made as a result of the other poster who indicated that they had heard of a case where red was found and the penalty went back to mile #1 since they didn't know for how many miles it might have been run. It would seem that changing the filters after running the tank near empty and then going through a whole new tank would eradicate any trace of the dye. Just a thought.
I don't see this happening. For starters its not illegal to run this fuel in your truck. Its illegal to run it on the road. The dye van be blended out. I've blended it out. So say you filled up and worked in the hay/grain fields all week burned down to 1/8 or so tank then filled back up. If you get stopped and stuck there is a very slight chance they will see any red. If they see any at all its no hard task to figure out that there's not much red in the tank at all and very easy to believe. Red filters can not get you a fine. There's no law that says you can not run off road in these trucks. The filter only tells that at some point within 10k red fual was ran thru it. In no way can it suggest where the truck was when it was burning the fuel. You might have a problem selling this story 2000 miles from the farm. Guys use common sense. If your trying to beat the system it will catch you and you'll pay dearly for it. Do what's right and you'll be rewarded in the long run.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:54 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by exiled
I don't see this happening. For starters its not illegal to run this fuel in your truck. Its illegal to run it on the road. The dye van be blended out. I've blended it out. So say you filled up and worked in the hay/grain fields all week burned down to 1/8 or so tank then filled back up. If you get stopped and stuck there is a very slight chance they will see any red. If they see any at all its no hard task to figure out that there's not much red in the tank at all and very easy to believe. Red filters can not get you a fine. There's no law that says you can not run off road in these trucks. The filter only tells that at some point within 10k red fual was ran thru it. In no way can it suggest where the truck was when it was burning the fuel. You might have a problem selling this story 2000 miles from the farm. Guys use common sense. If your trying to beat the system it will catch you and you'll pay dearly for it. Do what's right and you'll be rewarded in the long run.
Agreed.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:22 PM
amadas350
Senior User
i do know in GA they will tax you for every mile on the truck + a standard fine... its extremely excessive, but also a motive not to run it...

off road is usually about $0.30-$0.40 cheaper...

as far as it hurting anything. it does no harm. i have ran tank of red many miles when doing stuff on farm then go back to green. on time after that tank i changed my filters cuz it was time, it was purely green fuel. no red residue or anything. alot of the stuff you hear is crap..

only way to get fined is to get caught on a road that is maintained by tax dollars...

Old 06-17-2011, 12:12 AM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

How do they expect you to get your "farm truck" from the filling station to the farm after filling with the red juice without operating it on a road maintained by tax dollars?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
How do they expect you to get your "farm truck" from the filling station to the farm after filling with the red juice without operating it on a road maintained by tax dollars?
They don't expect you too. Afaik this is illegal. Most farmers I know either go to station with a 100g + tank or have fuel delevered to the farm. Now you can drive your tractor all day long with red. On the road as long as you have slow moving sign.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:32 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend

Haven't you noticed the big fuel tanks in truck beds that has it's own nozzle for dispensing? They should be in the beds of vehicles using the "on road" fuel. That's to fill up tractors and other farm vehicles.

Originally Posted by exiled
Now you can drive your tractor all day long with red. On the road as long as you have slow moving sign.
Or have your emergancy flashers going. That's another indication that you are a slow moving vehicle.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:49 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A registered farm truck is allowed to travel X amount of miles on the road without penalties. Did you ever see a backhoe or piece of farm equipment going down the public road?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:52 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
A registered farm truck is allowed to travel X amount of miles on the road without penalties. Did you ever see a backhoe or piece of farm equipment going down the public road?
Depends on where you are located though. My parents place in the hill country is 30 miles to town.

Although, I have never heard of that allowance, but I have heard about the one in most states were people are able to haul ag. goods in a 150 mile(varies I do believe from state to state) radius from the "farm" without the need of a CDL or other commercial identifiers. However, that hauling would still be done with vehicles using "on-road" fuel.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
Got a link to that law?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:40 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Likely, there's no expectation of anything other than dyed fuel in the tractor or backhoe going down the road. My question has always been how I can operate my farm truck on my farm using red fuel and then magically have no dye in the tank when I hit pavement to make a run to the coop or the building supply store. This has resulted in me operating my truck on the farm with road fuel so as not to take any chances. It seems that I am costing myself money this way though.

Quick Reply: Can you run offroad diesel in these trucks?