Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Senior User

UaVaj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rear Wheel Alignment - Dually ??

My understanding is that: the dual rear wheels CANNOT be alignment. Only the front wheels are capable of alignment.

Can someone else "comfirm" this or "correct this?" Thanks.

06 F350 Lariat CC PSD Auto 4x4 LB DRW 4.10LS
Old 04-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Post Fiend

gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Yes.

Unless there is a serious accident that bent the suspension components bad.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearloose1 View Post
Unless there is a serious accident that bent the suspension components bad.
What do you mean? Please rephrase.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Postmaster

Ace! has a good reputation on FTE.Ace! has a good reputation on FTE.Ace! has a good reputation on FTE.
The rear suspension is not adjustable. So, if in a bad accident if the rear suspension is bent, you'd bend it back, or replace the bent parts. But it's not adjustable in the sense the front is adjustable.

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it"

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Old 04-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Nothing there to align. Keep the wheels balanced and you are good to go.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Senior User

For the record. A few stealership are charging for 4 wheel alignment (yep on a dually).

Just wanted to make double sure I get my facts straight before I go beating on their doors.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Post Fiend

rbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to behold
I even had a place tell me they would do an all wheel alignment on my LT-9000,I went somewhere else
'98 Grand Cherokee, '86 F-150 SB Lariat 4x4 bought new (needs new home)
PAA #35
Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Postmaster

Ace! has a good reputation on FTE.Ace! has a good reputation on FTE.Ace! has a good reputation on FTE.
Well...there is more than one type of alignment.

Front end is a 2 wheel alignment, with the rear not adjustable
Front and rear is a 4 wheel alignment, front and rear adjustable
Front with reference to the rear is a thrust angle alignment, front adjustable, but a rear-wheel drive vehicle

So, there sort of is a four wheel alignment for trucks. It's a thrust angle alignment that aligns the adjustable front relative to the non-adjustable rear, because the rear is the drive axle. It's more than a front wheel (2 wheel) alignment, but isn't quite a four wheel alignment. It's a two wheel with reference to the rear drive wheels.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Senior User

Ace! You kinda lost me. Sorry for my lack of technical understanding.

For the front - (independent suspension). I understand there is (1) tow, (2) camber and (3) caster to adjust.
For the rear - (fixed axle). Are you saying that the rear tires/axle "CAN" be align/adjust to coincides/parallel with the front tires?

Can you or anyone link me a website with photos so I can visualized what/where is being adjusted on the rear axle.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Postmaster

No, and I'm sorry I brought it up. The rear aren't adjustable; however, there is an alignment relative to trucks that's not a two-wheel alignment.

On a rear wheel drive, like a truck (where the rear isn't adjustable) there is a thrust angle measurement (where the drive wheels point...which doesn't have to be EXACTLY straight, but should be darned close). What happens then is the front, which is adjustable, is made to point the direction the rear points (which may or may not be EXACTLY straight). So, really, on a truck like yours or mine they take a measurement of where your rear tires are pointing even though they aren't adjustable (or because they aren't adjustable, and because it's a rear wheel drive) and they then adjust the fronts to point the same direction/angle. Then, based on that they adjust for camber, caster, toe.

So, they aren't adjusting the rears to coincide with the front, they are adjusting the front to coincide with the rear (since you can't adjust them), then they are doing the normal two-wheel alignment stuff. It's a thrust angle alignment, or it's also known as a two-wheel alignment with rear wheel reference, or something similar to that. Sometimes places call it a four wheel, but it's not a four wheel...it's just a front wheel with rear reference, thrust angle, etc.

Sorry to confuse.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Postmaster

I hope this doesn't further confuse. I was just trying to point out the dealership might not have been trying to deceive, just maybe the terms used were getting confused.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=4

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:57 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
alignment, angle, drive, dual, dually, explorer, f150, f350, ford, rear, rwd, thrust, truck, wheel, wheels