Chasing a brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Firsthrpsdx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chasing a brake problem

This issue is on my 2000 X PSD 4x4.

About a year ago I started to notice my wheel was pulling slightly to the left. After driving about 5-6 miles, I stopped at a store and I smelled brakes! The left front brake was dragging. It did the same thing on the way home. I took it to my local service station and instructed them to check it but I was reasonably sure I had a caliper that needed to be rebuilt/replaced. It was replaced with a rebuilt unit from NAPA, and new hose were installed.

It seemed fine for several months, actually about 9 when low and behold I felt a similiar issue. Whe I got out to investigate, it was on the left rear. I took it to the same place and had them replace the rear caliper.

One month later, the front left which I had already replaced did it again. Instead of my local service station (that does good work), I took it to a Ford dealer. They kept the truck for several days and then told me they could find nothing wrong.

It was getting close to inspection time and I had already had the rotors turned twice since new and I had about 80K miles on the brakes so I decided to get a brake job. I had PowerSlot slotted rotors installed along with Hawk pads. The brakes never worked so good. About a month (and 3200 miles) later, damn if the front brake didn't start dragging again!

I had asked around to see if this could possibly be a freaky issue with the ABS module, and everyone has said no. With that in mind, I took it to another shop that was recommended and instructed them to replace the master cylinder.

Today, much to my dismay, the front brake once again began to drag. When it does, it pulls ever so slightly to the left while underway. At speed the vehicle will veer right when I apply the brakes. It's as if the left caliper releases and the right engages.

So now it is at a brake shop and I'm being told it is a faulty front caliper again. How likely is this and, is it possible it is the ABS? Any suggestions would help as my frustration level is almost to it's limit.

Thanks in advance.....

Old 04-05-2010, 10:28 PM
GeoQwest
Senior User
I'll be watching this post. I have the same issue with the left rear over the past year or so.

I'm currently on the net looking for performance rear calipers to swap out the OEM ones.

Anyone with suggestions of good valued performance rear calipers? (Preferably Canadian sourced. I hate the surprises of the border duty fairies).

And... I haven't been on these forums for months if not years. What happened to the keyword search that I think was here before?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:31 PM
GeoQwest
Senior User
Forget my last comment above...I found the search button.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 PM
da X-man
Elder User
It sounds like a bad caliper to me. I don't think the abs has anything to do with it.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:33 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
It can be a bad caliper, hoses collapsing, dirt or contaminants in the fluid blocking passages. It can also be slide pins which are not being lubed and/or sealed properly. If you have fluid older than 2 years then get it flushed out when they do the brakes next. Out of all of these issues, the hoses are usually the most difficult to diagnose as they can look perfectly normal on the outside but be collapsing or be collapsed on the inside. On a 10 year old truck I'd replace all four flex lines and inspect all of the hard lines for rust as several instances have been reported here of lines rusting through and losing brakes.

I'd check things in this order:
- check for slide pins in good condition - clean and lube each one with either high temp grease or high temp anti-seize
- replace all 4 soft lines and inspect hard lines
- flush all old fluid out - the darker the fluid the worse it is (exception being fluids which are colored to begin with)
- while everything is apart, look at each rotor and pad and make sure they are in good shape, pads wearing evenly, rotors not scored or damaged and I'd coat the back of the pads with anti-seize and any other places which end up with metal to metal contact as this will eliminate the harmonic squeal when the brakes are applied.

Good luck - let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I would inspect the caliper guide pins. Be sure they are clean and get some good quality brake caliper pin lube. Make sure the caliper pin boots are not dry rot or cracked. Water gets in and the pins start to rust and or corrode and eventually start binding. If they are rusted, you will need to get a small rotary brush and clean out the pin bore. Apply small amount of lubricant and install new pin boot seals.

Ford started in '04 using different pins. There is an upgrade kit available but not sure if it will fit the '00 X. Should be able to find info inthe tech folder.

DSMMH

Old 04-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Firsthrpsdx
New User
I can't thank you guys enough for your responses. I'm going to be gone all next week (the "X" is staying home) but when I get back I have an appointment at a shop I have become comfortable with. I mentioned the guide pins, boots and the hoses. They will all be done. I'll post after the repairs and let you know the results. Thanks again!