General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerstroke upgrade! Engine swap started..

Old 05-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
There will be a bog difference. I would just go w a F350 block so when you put the D60 in you woulnt have to change it again

Old 05-24-2010, 02:12 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now are you referring to the front suspension needing the blocks or the rear?

So far so good with the project. I got alot accomplished today.. With the engine, that drying harness is all dried up now, put gobs of dialetric grease in all the connectors, finsihed getting it placed on the engine, last re-checking of the bolts and making sure torque specs are there, and checking all the seals. The engine is all good to go in, everything is done there!

The trans has been cleaned off, along with transfer case. I checked all U-joints, and they are good. Seals are all good as well. The trans filter was replaced after the transmission was drained. I have to go and get a bung for the pan this week. I wanted to drill a hole in the base of the pan, and weld in the bung, so that from here on out, if I need to adjust fluid levels, I dont have to drop the pan or disconnect a line. I know after much experience in replacing trans filters, its messy as ever and I can never get the fluid to hit just the bucket when draining, as I have to unbolt the pan in order to completely drain the trans. With a plug, things should be a lot tidier in the future!

The 4-wheel drive is about finished. I had some fun with drilling the crossmember holes for the D-50, went through some bits, but finally getting the last of the holes drilled. I did bolt up the passenger side of the axle, as the mounts are all bolted on. Where they were originally held on by slugs, I replaced with grade 8 bolts all the way around. Once the axle is on, I can drop the truck finally, and get the trans mounted, along with the engine. I didnt want to put the tranny on yet, because of the 4-wheel drive install and working all around the frame, and the weight of the truck once I drop the engine and trans would also make things a little more difficult.

More pics to come soon!

Old 05-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
NO NOT THE FRONT. NEVER EVER put blocks in the front. You will probably need the F250 blocks in the rear now that you converted it to 4wd w the F250 front suspension.

IF/when you go to the D60 the front. The front D50 leaf springs arch downward, while the D60 springs are flat. And that will make the rear of the truck look like you are carrying 2 ton when the bed is empty

Old 05-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Ahhh, gotcha now! LOL! No, I wouldnt put blocks up front! I remember the cardinal rule to lifts, and that is definately the big one! I will keep the blocks though for that rear, and when I go to swap out with the D-60, I will throw them on the back then!

Good News: The D-50 swap is about finished...

I have the D-60 hubs in the mail coming, then I can get them put on, driver side shock mount to finish, front drive line, and brake lines to attach up. Thats it! The axle has been bolted up and is ready! Now I can move forward with the rest of the project! Yay!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
You will need the F250(2.5") blocks now that you converted to 4wd. You will need F350 blocks(4") when you put the D60 in

What do you mean by D60 hubs? Dually adapter hubs?

Old 05-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Yup, its actual D-60 Dually hubs.. Which just to mention.. Are a true PIA to find! Fortunately someone here had some sitting around and sold them to me! Whew! LOL! From everything I found and researched, I can swap out hubs on the D-50, with D-60 hubs, then later on when I find a good deal on a D-60 axle, I can swap the hubs again, because chances are I wont find a dually D-60.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
you also need the brake rotors to go with those hubs.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
you also need the brake rotors to go with those hubs.
I am all over that.. It didnt take me long to realize that they use a different brake rotor on that series of hubs. I also realized that when replacing the rotors, the dealership has only one parts listing that is rotor plus hub, and its expensive!

Good eye and info on that one BTW!

Old 05-26-2010, 12:16 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
auto zone part #5471 (fits a 93 anyway) $54.99 2yr warranty.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:33 AM
merlynr
Posting Guru
You can separate the hub and rotor by knocking out the lug bolts.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
auto zone part #5471 (fits a 93 anyway) $54.99 2yr warranty.
LOL.. Now I find this out? LOL! Thank you! For future reference, now I know where to get this part cheaper.. The people at autozone here are not the brightest tools around. I got the run around with them about it being a dealership part only! Thank you!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by merlynr
You can separate the hub and rotor by knocking out the lug bolts.
I am going to have to look at that now.. When I had the two wheel drive hubs on, I couldnt seem to get them seperated for the life of me.. Looks like I have some more tinkering to do!

Old 05-27-2010, 05:03 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
So more of the project was taken on today! I about had a fit with the fuel system as for re-installing the fuel tanks.. My nephew has helped out here and there with the small things, one of them being the removal of small items such as the fuel tanks and lines from the donor truck. He was getting the tanks in while I was installing the transmission and transfer case..

Here is where thing got a little interesting.. When he removed the tanks and lines from the donor truck, I told him to remember which line went to which connection on the tank, as there are two per tank, the fuel line and return line. He hit me up while I was fussing with the trans, and told me he couldnt remember which line went to which connector! Once I got my end done, I went in and researched as much as I could getting diagrams of the fuel system.... There is little to none in the way of that on the net! Frustrated, I returned to the shop later on and started scoping things out myself a little more..

You can not mix the lines up! They are different diameters! Ever so slight, but only one line goes to one connector! I about killed him for not checking into that himself, but now its done! Sheesh!

Anyways, trans and transfer case are in, last of the bolts on the 4-wheel drive were tightened, front drive line hooked up to the transfer case, electrical run to the trans and such, and tires were temporarily put on until the hubs come in the mail. Last bits of little things here and there are getting rechecked, as the engine in the last big thing to go in!

That rear drive line will be the only thing left to figure out! More pics on the way!

Old 05-27-2010, 02:59 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's amazing the progress you are making, thanks for keeping this post updated...

I love the pick of the front end in post 49, that engine stand is hating life!!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by clem1226
it's amazing the progress you are making, thanks for keeping this post updated...

I love the pick of the front end in post 49, that engine stand is hating life!!
Thank you for the interest in it all! I will keep you up to speed to the end, and then more following projects on the old beast! LOL!

I know.. Its lots of fun to tighten the bolts on that engine while its on the stand.. All the bouncing it does! LOL! I actually take it easy on it, as I can see it just squealing under the weight! What I dont get, is that its rated for 1000lbs, and I figured the engine being 944lbs wouldnt faze it that much! Now we all know differently!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Powerstroke upgrade! Engine swap started..