Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > General Diesel Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

General Diesel Discussion SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2010, 06:01 AM
Posting Guru

Midwest Dually has a good reputation on FTE.Midwest Dually has a good reputation on FTE.Midwest Dually has a good reputation on FTE.
Another step in the mess! LOL! I finally dug out the degreaser and brushes..
Click the image to open in full size.
I would say I got pretty much most of the grease off of it, now prepping it for the master O-ring kits, GP harness/gaskets and new GP's. I will also go through and test each sensor and some minor moddifying for performance and reliability demands.

Clem, I dont know about each of the years, but the 97 has an individual pump right above the power steering pump, that runs off the belt, and powers the demands for the vaccume. There's actual vaccume distrobution block that bolts to the inner fender on the drivers side, for the brake booster and everything else that requires vaccume.

1994 F-350 CC Dually : DRW 4x4 XLT, 97 7.3 DIT conversion, tuned, open pipe and modded!.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/94...p-started.html
2010 F-250 CC SRW 6.4PS: 6.4 Powerstroke, 3" lift, Ranch hand F+R Bumpers and guards, ARE Topper, PIAA Off road lighting, more to come!
Old 04-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Post Fiend

bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of
That engine stand is HATING life right now.....

An aluminum intercooler from a 99 up model super duty will fit in front of your radiator, and can be had (used) for around $100. yes you will have to get an intake spider and IC tubes from an early 99 model , but alot of guys swap over to the late 99 style, and the parts are usually inexpensive. the IC will give you cooler charge air, and thus make you more HP. Post up a request in the 99-03 7.3 forum and ask if any body has leftover parts from their up grades, and you might be pleasantly suprised.
PAA MEMBER # 7.3, 99.5 CC,4X4,SB, leveled,live tuned by Jody,1.15 van turbo w ATS housing,6.0 IC,AFE big boost filter, Petes Armour,fuel bowl delete,black MBRP stacks, 02 headlights,F650 dash, 16x10 MT wheels, 35" tires,and a bunch other stuff that wont fit in my sig. 425K and counting.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Posting Guru

Midwest Dually has a good reputation on FTE.Midwest Dually has a good reputation on FTE.Midwest Dually has a good reputation on FTE.
You know, I have been giving that some serious thought for a bit now. I know these engines can run warmer, but I also know you get a heavier air charge so HP gains would be there! How much improvement would a person guess for by adding the intercoorer?

I would actually like to find a detailed pic line up of someones set-up, to give me an idea where I need to start at!

LOL, Yeah, that engine stand has me wondering some days! It's brand new out of the box, rated for 1000lbs, and the engine maxes at 944lbs.. I guess I push it! LOL!

Thank you!!

1994 F-350 CC Dually : DRW 4x4 XLT, 97 7.3 DIT conversion, tuned, open pipe and modded!.
2010 F-250 CC SRW 6.4PS: 6.4 Powerstroke, 3" lift, Ranch hand F+R Bumpers and guards, ARE Topper, PIAA Off road lighting, more to come!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
cool project! keep up the good work.
subscribing so i don't miss out on the action.
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 04-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Posting Guru

Continuing on..

Finally got the project truck into the shop! I had been putting it off as long as I could, but its now that time.. Out goes the old engine and trans..
Again, everything was coming off pretty slick without much in the way off issues. This was all done today in just a few hours. I noticed there is a whole lot less going on under the hood of a gaser then the powerstroke, lol! Of course this is a very base model truck!

One thing I noticed now that I took the front clip off, is that a person does need the radiator support from a diesel for this swap. The radiator opening is much larger then that of a gas model. I will have some pics up in just a short of that! But everything lines up between the two supports. I am lucky the the damage from the F-250 didnt involve the front of the truck, so I have that part already!

I got most of the O-rings replaced that came in the master kit. It was a little here and there. I also ordered a Cold Air tube and filter online, so I all I have left is the breather filter. I have replaced quite a few sensors, and have some left to finish replacing. The harness were hung, steamed and dialectric grease used. I have to make a run to the parts store and get new hoses. I noticed the lower hose had a tear in it that later on could cause me problems, so going ahead and getting it taken care of now! I also have to pick up some silicon tubing for the vaccume lines. Some final steps on the powerstroke, and it will be ready to go in!

Once I take the engine out, the front suspension of the truck is coming off for the 4-wheel drive addition! I will also have to finish the A/C transplant and power windows and door locks!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Elder User

bluescrew is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
DAMN that engine is clean and rust free... no corrosion... must be nice down in AZ the damn thing looks NEW
2001 F350 CC SB XLT - 6637, 03 signal mirrors, c-betr mirrors, Gentex autodim temp/compass rear view mirror, (now rusty) tail light guards, 08 white tailgate mod, superduty windshield, RR plenum boots + inserts, WW, IH uppipes, keypad entry, raider canopy, various body rust and dent mods, 2 different style headlight mod, 4" MBRP turbo back straight pipe.. no emissions crap!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Good project. I will be almost the same thing to my 86 when i swap my 6.9 for a 95 stroke this summer.

Do yourself a favor and dont put that P O S dana 50 in your truck. Get a D60, what the F250 should of had and what comes in the F350s
Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Posting Guru

Thank ya Bluescrew.. It didnt have much in the way of rust, but there were some seals that falied.. Had grease build-up in some spots. I found some pretty neat "Orange" cleaner from home depot, that is "environmentally safe" (LOL), but works awesome on grease and didnt kill any of the parts!

Brad, I agree.. I am not a huge fan of the D-50, but I figure I best get it under there atleast for now. Get the 4-wheel drive suspension loaded in, and temproarily use the D-50 until I get a decent price on a D-60. I would hold that project off, but the donor truck is about stripped clean, and I have to make room for other fun projects, LOL! They give a lot for scrap steel salvage around here! But no worries.. It is temporary!!!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:01 AM
Elder User

River19 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.River19 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This is a great undertaking........awesome job with the pics and write up. I took the same approach with documenting building a log cabin in 2009, trust me at some point, you will be happy for the extra support when you hit a frustrating spot in the project.

I can't wait to see the updates.

Steve
Old 04-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Posting Guru

I appreciate all the input, big time! There has been some really great resourcing going on here!

Whats been a huge relief is the help here, and not being in a rush! Just a piece at a time, and double checking everything.. I say this now, but when it comes back together, I may have a different view, LOL!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Posting Guru

Got back at it pretty heavy today! I have been picking at it here and there, especially with everything else going on! The old engine and trans is out and gone, thankfully! After getting all that out of the way, I started cleaning and stripping the frame. Tons of icky stuff left on the cross member from the last engine. I did discover some things once I had everything disassembled:

- The radiator support on my truck needs to be swapped out with the one from the donor truck. The lower part of the radiator support is a lot lower on a diesel then on a gas, due to the radiator being much larger! Fortunately, I have both, so I stripped and cleaned the donor one up to go on mine..

- The engine mounts! Oh boy! Engine is out, no problem.. Motor mounts on the other hand, were a challenge. The 5.8 motor mounts were put on by the factory, in a bizzare way. The passenger side mount has 4 bolts, no problem.. However, the drivers side is held on by 3 bolts, and 4 pressed slugs. So I have had to resort to grinding the heads of the slugs off one side, and hammering the mount off. What has been the nice side to it, once I got the mounts off, the diesel mounts rest nicely on the frame, and there are factory bolt holes that match up to the mounts. The diesel engine sits more forward then the smaller gasser.

I will have some pics up tomorrow.. By the time I got done, I was done! LOL!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Posting Guru

patrickke is starting off with a positive reputation.
you need some mods on that motor lol, Im sure some of our sponsors would love to hook you up like riff raff, dp, and Jim... Id make that thing even stouter than it already is while i had it out
Old 05-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Posting Guru

Its definately something I will give serious thought on! Thank ya!

I said I would get some more pics up.. so here we go..

The drivers side engine mount.. There are three pressed slugs that have to have the heads ground off to get it off, along with the three mount bolts..

Here are the two radiator supports.. there is quite a difference.. The green was off of the gas engine, the white off of the diesel..

And the engine bay is coming along.. getting alot of the old grease and nasty off..

Old 05-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
I cant get over the rust free parts. I am Jealous
Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Posting Guru

I am sure being on the coast line there, you probably see a lot of it! I had purchased a car a long time ago from the east.. What a nightmare getting bolts to move! Eh! I have seen how many things do rust.. Yikes!

The one thing that is a pain.. Dust.. Every where, all the time! I go to lay some paint down, its a scramble to keep the dust from leaking in from some where! sheesh! But I know its not as bad as the rust issue!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 PM