rust proofing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:31 PM
4onfloor
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rust proofing

I have been searching and havent exactly found the information im looking for. I plan on rust proofing my 79 250. The frame was previously sprayed by a past owner and has held up well to this point but is now starting to peel and rust through. I am not sure what it was previously coated with. I dont have the funds to get the frame sandblasted professionally, And i am not confident i could pull everything to attempt and blast it myself. My question is has anyone hand or da sanded and laid down por-15, epoxy, rust bullet etc. and how did it hold up? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for a newbie?

thanks

Old 04-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would go with the por-15

maybe reading this will help you decide if it will work for you

http://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/P...cationInfo.pdf

Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 PM
4onfloor
New User
Thanks, im not sure what to use because i searched a few forums and got a lot of horror stories of por-15 and poor prep. And since i probably wont be sand blasting, im hesitant. I also read not to use por-15 over any rust, because it wont stop it from continuing. Its hard to follow it all. I heard good things about iron or zinc phosphate pretreatment with epoxy, but i dont believe i can use it if im not blasting... Just wondering what everyone else has done, and how it worked out.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:13 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
I mainly use Eastwoods Rust Converter where needed on my frame after wire brushing areas. Then Eastwoods Encapsulator since it seems to become part of the substrate instead of a hard film on the surface like POR-15. After that their Extreme Satin Chassis Black goes on. Luckily most of my cleaning can be done with the red 3M pads, cleaned with a wax and grease remover, primed and then the satin black.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:23 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Originally Posted by tbm3fan
I mainly use Eastwoods Rust Converter where needed on my frame after wire brushing areas. Then Eastwoods Encapsulator since it seems to become part of the substrate instead of a hard film on the surface like POR-15. After that their Extreme Satin Chassis Black goes on. Luckily most of my cleaning can be done with the red 3M pads, cleaned with a wax and grease remover, primed and then the satin black.
I'll have give this a second vote. I've used it on my present frame off build and I just like the way the stuff works. The converter turns the rust black instead of winding up with a white powder stuff like Ospho. I've also painted over the encapsulator with 2K primer and paint with no adhesion problems.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:56 AM
4onfloor
New User
tbm3fan,

Do you have any pictures of where you have used these eastwood products? Anyone else have an opinion on this?
thanks

Old 04-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
Last year I painted a TR3 Triumph frame for my dad with POR 15. It got banged around a few times and then spent the winter under tarp outside (over grass) and not one spec of rust came thru. Also welded floor pans right on top of the frame and took the body off to finish body work and noticed where I welded the floor pans over the frame all it did was have a little gray spot of soot, thats it. I have used POR 15 on other things as well and it holds up quite well.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Hyperactive460
Elder User
i'm doing my frame with chassis saver. hoping it will be done next month or so. i too have heard horror stories about por15. my friends used it at work on some of their trucks and he isn't happy with the results.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Raymond
Tuned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used KBS coatings on my 2000 7.3L (Ford Quality is number 1) oil pan last year and so far it is holding up quite well. They have the same kind of prep as POR15 but its cheaper. I plan on using it this summer when I do my 76Highboy's frame and axles. Stop Rust - Gas Tank Sealer - Gas Tank Liner - KBS Coatings - RustSeal in Colors
Ray

Old 04-10-2010, 04:49 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Here is the undercarriage of my Bronco. While I did have the frame blasted, everything else was wire wheeled and used Eastwood, converter, encapsulator and chassis black. If you look at the right inside quarter panel you can see what I started with. Since then I have replaced that quarter panel and treated the rest

Attached Images