6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

700 miles from home and truck quit

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
sbowling79
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
700 miles from home and truck quit

On vacation with the wife and kids. This morning the wife takes the truck to the store I asked her to fill it up while she was out because it was getting pretty low. She came back and said she couldn't find any diesel. So I jump in to go fill it up I backed out the parking spot and it started running bad it wouldn't even pull back into the spot. I called my roadside service to bring me fuel. They brought two gallons. I started it back up and headed to the gas station. Made it a mile with it running bad then it died. Called roadside again and told them to bring me five gallons this time. An hour later I got the fuel and made it to the gas station but it was still running terrible. Filled it up and made it another mile and it died again. Waited awhile and got it restarted made it most of the way and it died again. I gave some time got it restarted and made it back. Is it possible it just won't reprime or did I fubar the fuel pump or injector pump or something else. I have an appt at ford in the morning. So Im hoping I didn't mess anything up. I'm in clermont Florida outside of Orlando I hope they have some good techs here.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,711 Posts
Did you pull the fuel filters and take a look at them. Maybe running it that low pulled some trash out of the tank.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:36 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The immediate suspect is the fuel and filters...

Sounds like fuel starvation.

Don't panic... don't assume the worse (fuel injectors, etc.) yet.

Lets see what the facts say.

Did you try draining some fuel out of the Fuel Conditioning Module and see what it looks like ?

Is it making the sound it normally does (pumping) when you turn on the ignition (but before you start).

Are you waiting until the line is pressurized before you attempt to start?

While you are down there... disconnect the electrical connectors, if you have a volt meter, check the voltage.. and if needs be clean the contacts.

BTW, if you can document that it is a bad tank of fuel... it might be covered under your comprehensive insurance.

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:10 PM
sbowling79
Senior User
Unfortunately I don't have any tools with me. I was hoping it was just clogged filters. I never payed attention to what the fuel pump sounded like before. I can hear it running now and it runs for almost a minute. If I let it sit awhile and restart it it will idle rough but stay running. When I drive it's like it runs out of fuel again. So I guess either a weak pump or clogged filters. I guess next time I'll pack a tool bag.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:40 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Just as well.. you don't want diesel all over you.

Good luck.. don't envy your position...

Old 04-05-2010, 07:57 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Changing fuel filters can be done w/ some cheap tools from autozone - a ratchet, a Lisle socket, and a crescent wrench (and of course the filters that need to come from Ford or International). It is wise to carry a spare set of filters. Bad diesel happens way too often.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 PM
sbowling79
Senior User
I would think the fuel quality was ok. I ran that tank out with no problems although it did drop about 1mpg on that tank. It does sound like it's starving for fuel. I thought about taking a taxi. I had to use one this afternoon to go pick up my wife's asthma meds and it cost $20 to go 2 miles and back. So if I spend taxi money buy the tools and filters and it doesn't fix it I would freak out. The nearest ford dealer is 20 miles away and my roadside will cover the tow. I guess I'll just send it to them and pay them. Lesson learned. Hopefully just filters and it won't cost me to much. Thanks for the replies and I'll post when it's done.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bismic
It is wise to carry a spare set of filters. Bad diesel happens way too often.

Now that you mentioned it.... I will.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:03 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I always have tools with me, but never thought about carrying fuel filters.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:23 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cartmanea
I always have tools with me, but never thought about carrying fuel filters.
Mark makes a good point because not all service stations will carry or can easily get the filters of our choice.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:22 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by sbowling79
I would think the fuel quality was ok. I ran that tank out with no problems although it did drop about 1mpg on that tank. It does sound like it's starving for fuel. I thought about taking a taxi. I had to use one this afternoon to go pick up my wife's asthma meds and it cost $20 to go 2 miles and back. So if I spend taxi money buy the tools and filters and it doesn't fix it I would freak out. The nearest ford dealer is 20 miles away and my roadside will cover the tow. I guess I'll just send it to them and pay them. Lesson learned. Hopefully just filters and it won't cost me to much. Thanks for the replies and I'll post when it's done.
I do hope it is as simple as filters for you. Be aware though, low fuel pressure and fuel starvation can very quickly damage injectors. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Something that is easy to do is to disconnect the supply line from the tank at the fuel pump. Easy to do, just squeeze the fitting and it comes right off. Get an air hose, remove the fuel tank cap and SLOWLY blow air back into the tank. When you hear the fuel gurgling, you know the line is clear. I believe there is a filter sock on the fuel tank pickup and blowing it out with air would disperse the debris that has clogged the sock. A restricted sock would definitely cause fuel starvation.

DSMMH

Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
I wouldn't rule out the possibility that you just have air bubbles in the fuel rails and that eventually it will clear up. Keep running it. Use your high idle if you have it. If that is the problem, Ford will charge you.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
I wouldn't rule out the possibility that you just have air bubbles in the fuel rails and that eventually it will clear up. Keep running it. Use your high idle if you have it. If that is the problem, Ford will charge you.
I was thinking this as well.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:16 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
On vacation with the wife and kids. This morning the wife takes the truck to the store I asked her to fill it up while she was out because it was getting pretty low. She came back and said she couldn't find any diesel. So I jump in to go fill it up I backed out the parking spot and it started running bad it wouldn't even pull back into the spot. I called my roadside service to bring me fuel. They brought two gallons. I started it back up and headed to the gas station. Made it a mile with it running bad then it died. Called roadside again and told them to bring me five gallons this time. An hour later I got the fuel and made it to the gas station but it was still running terrible. Filled it up and made it another mile and it died again. Waited awhile and got it restarted made it most of the way and it died again. I gave some time got it restarted and made it back. Is it possible it just won't reprime or did I fubar the fuel pump or injector pump or something else. I have an appt at ford in the morning. So Im hoping I didn't mess anything up. I'm in clermont Florida outside of Orlando I hope they have some good techs here.
Did you by any chance change the fuel filters before you left on vacation?

DSMMH

Quick Reply: 700 miles from home and truck quit