Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Windshield washer fluid not coming out...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Ford_NDN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '96 explorer, v-8 5.0.

My windshield washer fluid has stopped coming out of the cleaning nozzles on the rear, driver's and passenger sides. I can hear the pump pumping and have disconnected the hose from the driver's side and ran the windshield cleaner system. Cleaning fluid came out of the hose easily. Then the hose for the rear was tested. Fluid came out of the hose.

The reservoir was emptied and checked to see if there was dirt that might be clogging the intake. It was clean.

The nozzles where the cleaning fluid comes out were cleaned with a small wire from both ends. Also a bottle of compressed air was used and air was felt coming through easily.

I am thinking the pump might have lost enough pressure that no fluid can be pushed hard enough to come through the very end before it gets sprayed on the windshield.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Old 04-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Ford_NDN
New User

I forgot to add that all three (driver's, passenger's, and rear) nozzles stopped working at the same time. Also the pump went out slowly. Less and less fluid seemed to come out each press and was sprayed out on the glass lower and lower.

Any ideas?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:04 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
So with the hose disconnected from the pump, will the pump spray a solid stream of fluid out of the outlet? If it just pees out, and the reservoir is not empty, you probably have a weak pump.

-Rod

Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Ford_NDN
New User

The stream is not steady. It pulsates with the sound of the pump. I think the pump is bad.

I will replace that this coming weekend and post the results for future viewing by other users.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:40 AM
jtorsey91
Junior User
if you can hear it trying to pump, and nothings coming out anymore, id think that the pump was bad.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_NDN
The stream is not steady. It pulsates with the sound of the pump. I think the pump is bad.

I will replace that this coming weekend and post the results for future viewing by other users.

It needs a Urologist if it can't get a stream flowing.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:41 PM
FordNDN
New User

OK I finally made the repair.

I changed the pump which was easy enough. There are no screws holding it in place. It is just connected by rubber grommets. So if anyone wants to do this just disconnect the wire and you can pull the pump off by hand. Well maybe a little wd-40 might make it easier to pull off and don't forget to drain the reservoir before you pull off the pump.

The new pump was installed and tested. There was some cleaning fluid coming out of the nozzles but they looked like they were still clogged somewhat. So the plastic covers around the wipers were removed. This wasn't hard at all. One screw in the middle between the wipers, then pull the covers up. They are held in place by fasteners. Pull hard and they should come up easily without any damage.

The nozzles were removed then soaked in 1/2 water and 1/2 cleaning solution for about 5 minutes. Then I took 2 bread ties, the plastic ones not the paper ones since the paper ones will dissolve and get stuck in the nozzle. The bread ties were inserted in the hole where the water comes out and twisted and removed. Then a can of compressed air was used to blow the nozzle out. A few times of this procedure, bread tie then a blast of air and some gunk came flying out of the nozzle head. I guess a pipe cleaner could be used as well if they make one small enough.

I put the nozzles back in and tested it again. Worked great though a slight adjustment was made to keep the water from shooting over the windshield entirely.

So it looked like a couple of clogged nozzles wore out the pump.

Entire thing took about 20-25 minutes.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:05 AM
neilwltr
New User
How to get the driver nozzle out

HELP - HOW DO I GET TTHE NOZZLE OUT FROM THE GRATE ITS; IN ON FORD EXPLOER 2000 V8?
THANKS
Originally Posted by FordNDN
OK I finally made the repair.

I changed the pump which was easy enough. There are no screws holding it in place. It is just connected by rubber grommets. So if anyone wants to do this just disconnect the wire and you can pull the pump off by hand. Well maybe a little wd-40 might make it easier to pull off and don't forget to drain the reservoir before you pull off the pump.

The new pump was installed and tested. There was some cleaning fluid coming out of the nozzles but they looked like they were still clogged somewhat. So the plastic covers around the wipers were removed. This wasn't hard at all. One screw in the middle between the wipers, then pull the covers up. They are held in place by fasteners. Pull hard and they should come up easily without any damage.

The nozzles were removed then soaked in 1/2 water and 1/2 cleaning solution for about 5 minutes. Then I took 2 bread ties, the plastic ones not the paper ones since the paper ones will dissolve and get stuck in the nozzle. The bread ties were inserted in the hole where the water comes out and twisted and removed. Then a can of compressed air was used to blow the nozzle out. A few times of this procedure, bread tie then a blast of air and some gunk came flying out of the nozzle head. I guess a pipe cleaner could be used as well if they make one small enough.

I put the nozzles back in and tested it again. Worked great though a slight adjustment was made to keep the water from shooting over the windshield entirely.

So it looked like a couple of clogged nozzles wore out the pump.

Entire thing took about 20-25 minutes.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:17 PM
Ford_NDN
New User
Windshield wash fluid not coming out...

Originally Posted by neilwltr
HELP - HOW DO I GET TTHE NOZZLE OUT FROM THE GRATE ITS; IN ON FORD EXPLOER 2000 V8?
THANKS
I have since learned that grate is called the cowl or windshield washer cowl. On my vehicle there was one screw in the middle but yours may be different. The screw on mine was right in the middle and very easy to see. After removal of the screw if there is one, the cowl comes up by pulling on it. There will be some clips holding it to the vehicle. About four if I recall correctly. Use a pry bar or fingers if you are not leery of a knuckle scrape or two.

Once that is up disconnect the hose to the nozzles. They are not screwed on or anything. They are real tight around the nozzle since they are rubber. Some wd-40 may have to be sprayed to loosen them up. The nozzles on my vehicle had pinch clips on the underside of the cowl. Pinch those together and the nozzle should be able to be pushed out of the cowl. Hope this helps. Oh and check the rubber hoses for cracks or loose connect at either the nozzle end or the pump end.