6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0L F350 Intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 04:17 AM
thefrankiemoon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0L F350 Intercooler?

hey guys

im looking for a new intercooler for my truck... what are you guys running and how is it??

i over heat more than i should, rarely during daily driving, on the highway mostly, when i tow my big trailer (20', bout 4500lbs average) it happens alot, or just on the highway with a medium load in the bed... when i tow i usually have the chip turned down to econ... it has even happened when i put my stock rubber on for a 2500 mile trip last summer...

i have a 05 f350 powerstroke 6.0...

im running the stage 3 intake, banks chip, bd turbo over ride, dual exhaust, 37" rubbers...

Old 04-02-2010, 05:18 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Explain over heat because you are not pulling enough, you have other issues.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:34 AM
thefrankiemoon
New User
trailer is loaded with 4500lbs-5000 lbs... trailer is 1500lbs...
bed loaded with about 1000lbs-1200lbs...
i have had the problem with my stock tires and my 37's...

when i say over heat... the truck blows off about 4-8L of coolant through the reservoir... i have changed the cap twice and have had it flushed... my erg cooler and valve was replaced about 15,000 miles ago.... on the last 3000k highway trip i had to add about 5ish gallons of coolant/water... its fine on the flats and stuff but the hills and heat make the temps climb fast... i have the banks system so i get to see the temps climb.... the air filter kicks in when she heats up and it cools down pretty quick... but it still blows off...

could it be my oil cooler?? i noticed a few times the engine oil temp was 30-35 degrees higher than coolant temp and 20 degrees higher than the engine temp...

ive been looking at the postings and every1 is saying not to waste the $ on the after market intercooler...

Old 04-02-2010, 07:15 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,727 Posts
Oil cooler is plugged. Probably caused the new EGR cooler to fail. I would also be prepared to deal with leaking head gaskets also.

Whenever an EGR cooler is replaced, the oil cooler should also be replaced.

What do you mean when you say "the air filter kicks in when she heats up"?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:15 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thefrankiemoon

i have the banks system so i get to see the temps climb.... the air filter kicks in when she heats up and it cools down pretty quick... but it still blows off...
I know you didn't ask it, but your banks chip and your air filter aren't good for the longevity of your truck. I can explain more if you want me too. I would also say you might have some leaking of headgaskets as well. Prone to happen on a 6.0 that has been used with a chip like the one that you have. You might not, but with a chip like the banks does raise a red flag in these situations.

could it be my oil cooler?? i noticed a few times the engine oil temp was 30-35 degrees higher than coolant temp and 20 degrees higher than the engine temp...
Engine temp and coolant temp have always meant the same reading to me. However, EOT and ECT should not be more then 15* apart with EOT being the higher, so I would say that you have an Oil Cooler issue. Usually EGR cooler and Oil Cooler and taken care of at the same time.

ive been looking at the postings and every1 is saying not to waste the $ on the after market intercooler...
It depends. Spearco does make a good product, I just wish he was thicker. Banks intercooler is perhaps the only decent product that they make that I would get for the 6.0. It's the thickness that I like, I just wish the materials were that of the Spearco. But you can't have it all I guess.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:50 AM
forddieseldoc
New User
this condition could also be caused by cylinder compression leaking into the cooling system through a blown head gasket. if the egr cooler has not failed and the oil cooler is not clogged. after checking for a leak in the egr cooler, if a leak is not found, check cooling system pressure. should also check your cap, if it does not hold the proper pressure it could cause coolant to blow out of the cap.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the 30-35 degree difference in eot and ect tells me that the oil cooler is clogged up. The first thing I would do (besides dumping the banks for a sct), is rebuild your oil cooler (you can buy a rebuild kit on ebay fairly cheap), and either delete or replace the egr cooler. It wouldn't hurt to replace the cap as well since they are only like $16 or so, but that is not going to be the problem. An intercooler really has nothing to do with ect or eot, and by air filter kicking in I would assume that you are talking about the fan instead. that is what would cool the engine. The air filter is always "kicked in". It takes air to run the motor.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:18 PM
thefrankiemoon
New User
so if i go get the arp studs done and the oil cooler rebuilt this is going to fix my problem?

and what sct should i get... the banks 1 i have has paid for it self in fuel savings but i would really like to get a new one...

and i just had the egr cooler done, do i need to do it again?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:34 PM
thefrankiemoon
New User
[quote=tex25025;8717365]I know you didn't ask it, but your banks chip and your air filter aren't good for the longevity of your truck. I can explain more if you want me too. I would also say you might have some leaking of headgaskets as well. Prone to happen on a 6.0 that has been used with a chip like the one that you have. You might not, but with a chip like the banks does raise a red flag in these situations.

please explain the banks chip thing....

the truck is in the shop right now getting the arp head studs, head gasket kit, 50+hp injectors, egr, oil cooler and a new down pipe....

i have my sct x3 ordered and should be in friday...

Old 04-08-2010, 01:50 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

please explain the banks chip thing....

Well banks is what is known as an in-line fuel module. It intercepts, modifies and then sends out the new altered signals to wherever they need to go. The computer really doesn't really know what is going on. There really isn't any proper tuning that is being done.

Now you have the whole shift on the fly thing(which is a huge selling point to a lot of people) and that makes it worse when there isn't any tuning going on. Especially with regard to the tranny. Let's say you start off with level 2 and then you bump it up level 5. Maybe line pressure changed, maybe shift points change; but things like TC lockup didn't change or anything that requires more programming involvement. You're basically running a stock tranny file with a aggressive street or race file in there. Your direct clutch won't be lasting too long with that.

the truck is in the shop right now getting the arp head studs, head gasket kit, 50+hp injectors, egr, oil cooler and a new down pipe....
You do know that stock HGs are good for upwards of 600hp don't you? I've got 508hp/721tq and still using stock gaskets.

Depending on how you do your tuning, your EGTs are going to be hotter, might want to think about a mild turbo upgrade(inducer wheel or something, doesn't have to be a total turbo upgrade) to help cool that down. I would also strongly recommend at least an EGR bypass. Your going to be flowing more fuel and depending on how you drive it, you're going to run a great chance of the EGR getting gummed up.

I would atleast have money set aside for the following things:

RR kit
Tranny Rebuild kit w/billet input shaft
maybe Fuel Pump
maybe Intercooler

Once you start adding injectors, the whole ball game changes. Even how long your truck is down for repairs is going to be longer because of those bigger injectors. That's for injector work of course.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:57 PM
thefrankiemoon
New User
hey guys....

i really have to say thanks for all the advice...

after reading everything today i went and got the egr delete kit, the itp rr kit, went to smaller injectors (+30hp), the boost fooler from BD and the SCT tuner...

im dropping the parts off at my mechanics house tonight and should have the truck back by the weekend... they finished the HG today and have everything ready to put back together tomorrow...

is there anything else i shoud do b4 it all goes back together?

as for the HG... im sticking to the stock kit from ford...
and the turbo was upgraded last year to the BD turbo kit...
the tranny... well im just gonna wait for it to crap out b4 i replace it and the TC... my mech said it is fine and should go another 100k...

thanks again guys...
i feel like a kid just b4 xmas... i cant wait to get my truck back with all the new mods...

Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 PM
patrickke
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good luck on everything

Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 PM
thefrankiemoon
New User
oh... 1 more thing...

how do enter my truck info so it comes up at the bottom of the posts like every1 elses??

Old 04-08-2010, 06:18 PM
patrickke
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well you need a few more posts b4 you can put up your siggy.... but after that you will be able to do it and here is how

go to User CP, then settings and options, then edit signature

Old 04-08-2010, 06:42 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you should also get a coolant filter. dieselsite.com makes the most popular one on here.

Quick Reply: 6.0L F350 Intercooler?