6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

bad fuel & possible problems?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:41 AM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad fuel & possible problems?

Hi to all,I'm new here but I've been around awhile reading & learning.Thanks for all the great info! Sorry if this is long but here goes.I have a bone stock '06 6.0l f-250.My only mods are coolant filter & hi-idle mod.I got some bad fuel on a road trip last week .I had some white smoke on a warm start-up & some thick white smoke on accel.that lasted only a couple seconds and checked my coolant level & level was perfect with no puking.I dismissed it as a freak thing until about 300 mi. later my water in fuel light came on.I immed. drained my HFCM and the light went out right away.I then refueled at the first place I could find (using the recommended dosage of Motorcraft cetane booster & Perf. Improver like always) and drove the rest of the way home (approx. 1,000 mi.). When I got home I drained the HFCM again for the heck of it (the light was not on)and got very little water out.The truck ran perfect the whole time but some water had to get through to give me the white smoke.My fuel filters were changed 700 mi. prior to the trip so they are practically brand new.(yes they were motorcraft filters). I've noticed that if you stick your head in the wheel well with the engine idling my engine sounds louder on the passenger side than on the drivers side (more "clack" not exhaust noise).I've never noticed this before but I may just be paranoid because of the bad fuel.Has anyone else ever noticed this with their truck & is there a logical explanation for it ? Should I be worried about injector damage? Any thoughts or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:45 AM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Sorry I forgot to add that I only got the white smoke that one time.It has not done it since & is still running perfect.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Headviking
Posting Guru

If it's running well, with no puking and no miss fires, I would think your just parinoud. Relax. But do keep an eye on things. I would replace the filters again though.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:08 PM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Thanks "headviking",I appreciate the help.It's very possible that I'm just paranoid,my wife always told me I wasn't all there anyhow.LOL. I will take your advise & change the filters again just to be safe. I've always heard the injectors in the 6.0 were picky about fuel. I just never noticed the difference in engine sound from one side of the truck to the other before,but maybe I just never had a reason to pay that close attention to it.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:21 PM
tazo
Elder User
I will second the fuel filter change. I got some bad fuel last year and noticed a big difference after I ran through the fuel and changed the filters. It will also give you and idea of what was in the fuel when you change the filters.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:51 PM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Thanks for the advise tazo,I'm hittin' the dealership after work to pick up new filters.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Nitrous
Elder User
Originally Posted by WH 6.0
Thanks for the advise tazo,I'm hittin' the dealership after work to pick up new filters.
Get them from International or dieselfiltersonline and pay half price of what ford charges.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:42 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by WH 6.0
......... I've always heard the injectors in the 6.0 were picky about fuel.
They're pickier about oil than they are fuel. NO injector likes water in any form, but with the Racor/motorcraft filters the primary has the water barrier that WORKS. I've lost more fuel pumps to "water" than injectors. Sounds like you're OK now though.

FWIW--a fuel pressure gauge is absolutely priceless on a 6.0 diesel. It can tell you more about your fuel system than you might want to know.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:56 AM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen,my dealer sells me the filters for $49.00 so I feel like it's a fair price.I figure if I ever do have a problem they'll know I've done all the proper maint. so it won't be a warranty issue.Maybe some of you guys paying 80-90 bucks for fuel filters should try talking to your dealer to see if they will cut you a break

Search this Thread