Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard shifting all 4 gears and reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:50 PM
bigfootford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard shifting all 4 gears and reverse

My 94f250 460's has the title's symptoms.
I have reviewed all of the various threads regarding suggested fixes etc and am in the process of beginning to investigate the problem before I send it off to a tranny shop.

My symptom's....

Put the tranny in D or reverse = hard engage.

Shifting through all gears is harsh.

Down Shift is nice...

TC lock unlock in 3rd or 4th coast is smooth.

Manual out of OD is smooth but back to OD is HARD!!!!

I have been really easy on the throttle at shift points...

Speedo does vary slightly, not very fast but will vary 1-3 mph at speed.

Tach is steady.

No difference either cold or warm.

OD light does not flash.

Now a question or two....

If the Puter has put the tranny in limp mode, if that is what has happened, does the limp mode stay until you reset it by unhooking the battery?

If the OD or CHECK ENGINE lght is not flashing is the tranny still throwing errors?

It was under my impression that if an error occured the ECM/PCM (which ever) would cycle and if the condition goes away it would start acting properly...

This truck and tranny have 105,000 miles on it. The tranny puked on the Previous Owner at about 60K. <> 1996 or so. It was Dealer repaired and puked again because of improper assy.

The Tranny oil has been changed every 30K and is clean as a whistle and has never ran hot.

I reseated the connector on the tranny, I did not check for codes. I reset the puter and drove it for 30-40 miles and it seems ok.. but I feel that MURPHY is still there.

Jim

Old 03-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Hunt4Fun
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had trouble with both of my F-150 transmissions. The 1990 has an AOD that shifted hard. 1 bottle of Lucas transmission fix solved the problem.

The 1993 has an E4OD and a complete fluid change to Mercon V and a bottle of Lucas transmission fix solved the problem.

As a side note, my 1999 Ranger had a vibration when you turned right. I took it in to my mechanic who said it's in the power steering. He said he sees this a lot on Rangers. He added 1 bottle of Lucas Power Steering fix and...........Yep, it solved that too.

Lucas makes some dandy products. You may have to drain a little fluid out, but I would start with a bottle of it.