1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT: But something that affects us all!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
OT: But something that affects us all!!!

The weather is warming, spring is in the air. It is time for outdoor activities.
First of all, I am NOT asking for donations!
After reading the post from BACAGrizz about his mother passing from cancer, I felt compelled to write this.
I too have lost loved ones to this disease, my grandfather in '97, my Dad in '02 and my wife of 23 years just last year.
At sometime in your life, you will have a loved one or know someone who is affected by this. It discriminates against no one!
I have signed up to participate in a Relay for Life with the American Cancer Society. I will walk with a team from my teardrop camping group at Ennis TX on April 30 and then will walk in our local relay on May 14th.
I walk to honor my wife and family. If my participation will help even one person or family from going through the grief that my family has had to endure, I will be satisfied.
All I ask of our close knit family here is for you to remember the fallen ones and maybe go out and join a local team in your area.
You can check this link to see if there is a relay going on in your area.
Welcome to the Relay Nation | RelayForLife.org

Old 03-30-2010, 01:23 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for your dedication and unselfishness!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What Julie said Jeff. Lets see if we can get together and Kick Cancer's Butt!!!! It descriminates against no one regardeless of age or any finance any thing. Also if you cant do this pray for a cure.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So True. Cancer is a bad word around our house.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I would like to add there are many ways to help your fellow man. I'm not trying to take away from Jeff has posted, it's a good cause, but you can help in many other ways if you don't feel like doing a walk.

For many years I resisted my wife's suggestions to donating blood. Her uncle, a WWII veteran gave literally gallons of blood over the years and only recently had to give it up because of Alzheimer's but he inspired my wife into giving. I resisted because of bad experiences I had with many blood tests I had to go through when I was young. I just couldn't bring myself to allow anyone to stick the tip of my finger, I know, silly but it was a big hang up for me. I would allow them to stick needles into my arms anywhere, I don't mind having the dentist stick my gums, the more Novocaine the better, but just couldn't tolerate the finger *****. The ones I have way back felt like they jammed a steak knife into my finger and hurt forever. Anyways, I finally relented and allowed them to poke my finger. No pain at all with the new lances and I'm a big baby and will tell you if there was the slightest sensation. Cancer patients, and many others, need blood so if you haven't donated give it a try. I honestly am counting the days until I can donate again. I feel maybe somewhere my little pint of blood might save some one's life.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:46 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Bob, nothing taken from my post, as I too am a blood donor. I have been donating for many years and even have a 5 "gallon" pin laying around here somewhere. 5 gallons, that equals 40 pints, that took a while.
I too had problems at first giving as I have a phobia against getting shots. I was a sickly child and took allergy shots daily for 3 years, now when someone comes toward me for a shot, I have to hold onto the table to keep from running. It really doesn't bother me to give blood though
So folks, get out there and do something to help. It doesn't take a lot if everyone will just do a little.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Cancer walks.

Jeff,

Thanks for the link. I have walked for many years starting when Mom became a breast cancer survivor back in '84. I plan to walk again in a local event this year and will support a friend of mine that runs in the Susan G. Komen run every year.

One of these days a cure will be found and this terrible affliction will be eliminated.

I too am a 5 gallon donor.

David.