Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Freshman User

cowens726 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Love this forum.

Man I love this place! There are other forums that I have visited that guys would bag on people for digging up old threads and asking questions or adding info. I'm glad this one came back up because I'm starting to get the drive away wiggle in my truck and this weekend will be adding shims to my buddies truck that's lifted with no shim at all. Now I can actually diagnose if either of our bearings are bad without playing the throw parts at it til it's fixed game. This kind of thing is why I always come back to FTE when I need to get something figured out.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Elder User

Lex2002 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
BTW, as you can see from this picture, The original carrier bearing support bracket does not look like the new FORD part: F81Z4800FA. I suppose they updated its design? The parts guy told me this is the only available option for my truck.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Elder User

For those doing this job themselves, dont forget to mark your drive shaft by scoring or punching the driveshaft in a bunch of places along its length. Dont just use a marker. It rubs off to easily...trust me.

Dont forget to carefully mark this part:

...because it has so many splines, its easy to put it back on incorrectly, or I should say, ever so slightly off of its original position because its hard to mark a line between this peice and the shaft after the carrier bearing, so make your mark visible and accurate. If not you will have a hardtime getting the whole thing lined up while your under the truck....and they aint light and humans havent got 3 arms.

See below....see how your line has to bridge the carrier bearing, to the shaft to the part above?

...it caused me some headaches...I had to keep pulling the peice off the end of the drive shaft to get it lined up to meet the next half of the drive shaft.

Hope this makes sense.

See all the splines?...you have to tap this part off the splines with a hammer...tap each side gently and it will come off eventually. Same to get it back on. Make sure and lightly grease the splines.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Elder User

Here is a very exciting pic of my chewed up carrer bearing support....after 196,000 miles.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Elder User

The old bearing came off easily using a large screwdriver...dont take the new bearing off this way...you will damage it! I dented the old bearing...but it was ready for recycle bin anyway.

The mudslinger (I think that's what its called) metal dish thing is easy to put on....just pry the old one off, grease the shaft a little and hammer it on with a peice of PVC tubing.

Here is the new drive shaft support bearing, rubber support and metal bracket plus the metal peice that connects to the next section of drive shaft (name?)....only thing left to do was tighten the 33mm nut. I didnt have an impact gun strong enough to get anywhere near 300 foot pounds. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.
timmyboy76 seadooya
Lex, did the new carrier fix the whine? Mines' been doing it for over a year, thinking it was, at first turbo related, but now thinking trans. This thread just gave me hope...
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..190k and counting
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
Lex, did the new carrier fix the whine? Mines' been doing it for over a year, thinking it was, at first turbo related, but now thinking trans. This thread just gave me hope...
Wow. Finally someone with the same problem. Misery loves company ...and let me tell you, this whining noise is making me MISERABLE. Its making me crazy. I just wanna bang my head into the steering wheel until the noise doesnt matter anymore. hahaha.

The carrier bearing did not solve the problem. Is your transmission new? Mine is remanufactured from Ford. I am quite sure it was making this noise before I swapped transmissions, but to a lesser degree. Reason I am not sure is that I wasnt driving that truck very often right before I bought it from my employer. But I remember mentioning it to a colleague before I purchased it. When I bought it the truck was not driveable as the tranny had failed completely.

That being said, I dont think its the transmission.

I wondered if perhaps the transfer case or front hubs might be the culprits (both hubs have been replaced in last 40k miles). VERY unlikely as the transfer case should not be moving in 2wd. As an experiment, just today I locked the front hubs and drove around in 2wd. No change in whining noise. Then I engaged 4wd. No change in whining noise.

To me it sounds like it coming from under the cab....or from the engine bay....but its hard to tell.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Still learning every day!

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD View Post
Enjoyed your write-up Beanhead even though my short azz truck doesn't have a carrier bearing.

The pics were great.

Now I hope Pete sees this write-up and turns it into a PDF.

You out there Pete? Work your magic.
I never noticed this thread until just a few minutes ago, and find the timing to be extremely ironic given Robin's recent passing.

I will certainly honor Robin's request as an opportunity to honor his lasting presence in our midst, even though he is now passed from this world. It will take me a few hours to get the PDF into a good working document, but I will certainly post it back up this weekend as a reference for others.

RIP, Robin

Pete (F250_) -- PAA#19
'02 F250 PSD, CC, SB, XLT, 2WD: 252K miles
Basic, low cost, not really performance enhancing mods.
'03 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) PSD, 2WD, 176K miles - Stock.
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/7pt3/Mods.html
Old 01-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.
timmyboy76 seadooya
First...Rest In Peace, Robin...you will be missed.

Lex, for your entertaining pleasure

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ipe-sound.html

Mine started when the turbo went, april 2011. Rebuilt it, removed the ic, cleaned the debris, and all back together. Then the NOISE started. So, hit Johnny here for a turbo, rebuilt it, same thing. Good thing is, i got a fresh turbo no the shelf. I went as far as installing a foiled cac tube, no change. I tell ya, i've thrown EVERYTHING at this...to no prevail. Just recently (8/12), installed a new clutch assy....no dice dude.

Prior to the holidays, i installed a p/s axle seal, doing so, noticed water in the assy, so drained it and installed new fluid. Well, with gears exposed, noticed most if not all, gears were in poor condition. So, maybe the noise is resinatng from there . A buddy thinks so, me, not too much, cuz its been this way for 1-1/2yrs....My tranny is original, carrier original...not sure what to do. Almost thinking having trans rebuilt, cuz noticed a drip from rear seal...
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..190k and counting
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Elder User

Quote:
First...Rest In Peace, Robin...you will be missed.

Lex, for your entertaining pleasure

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ipe-sound.html

Mine started when the turbo went, april 2011. Rebuilt it, removed the ic, cleaned the debris, and all back together. Then the NOISE started. So, hit Johnny here for a turbo, rebuilt it, same thing. Good thing is, i got a fresh turbo no the shelf. I went as far as installing a foiled cac tube, no change. I tell ya, i've thrown EVERYTHING at this...to no prevail. Just recently (8/12), installed a new clutch assy....no dice dude.

Prior to the holidays, i installed a p/s axle seal, doing so, noticed water in the assy, so drained it and installed new fluid. Well, with gears exposed, noticed most if not all, gears were in poor condition. So, maybe the noise is resinatng from there . A buddy thinks so, me, not too much, cuz its been this way for 1-1/2yrs....My tranny is original, carrier original...not sure what to do. Almost thinking having trans rebuilt, cuz noticed a drip from rear seal...
Tim, when I listened to your recording on youtube, with high quality headphones, I heard turbo noises. Not the gear whine I am experiencing. BUT maybe I wasnt hearing what you intended. Your turbo is LOUD.

Which "exposed" gears are you referring to? Front differential?

Dont pay for a rebuild, buy a remanufactured tranny. FORD's warranty was the best I found.

-A
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 seadooya
Lex, I don't have a vid clip. I got 2wd. It seems the sound resonates thru the cab pressure flap openings, when rolln on freeway. Gonna lube up the carrier for shiats. Got a lead on trans 4 500 bums with 22000, but u no as well as I do, they'll say anything. I got a couple bucks, I'll try the carrier and ü joints b4 any major purchases... Trans, a le rebuild....etc , a d keep this thread alive
Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Lex, I don't have a vid clip. I got 2wd. It seems the sound resonates thru the cab pressure flap openings, when rolln on freeway. Gonna lube up the carrier for shiats. Got a lead on trans 4 500 bums with 22000, but u no as well as I do, they'll say anything. I got a couple bucks, I'll try the carrier and ü joints b4 any major purchases... Trans, a le rebuild....etc , a d keep this thread alive
Timmy, i dont know that you can lube the carrier bearing effectively. Ya might as well change it.

I wish i could hear your truck first hand.

Ive been wondering if the universal joints were the cause of my gear whine. Seems possible.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 seadooya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex2002 View Post
Timmy, i dont know that you can lube the carrier bearing effectively. Ya might as well change it.

I wish i could hear your truck first hand.

Ive been wondering if the universal joints were the cause of my gear whine. Seems possible.
Been here for 2+ yrs, and still dont know how to post pics. A lightbulb went on, the other day, to open up a youtube account. So, try'n to do that, so i can upload a vid of it..it'll make ur ears bleed...only problem i'm hav'n is, it seems to me, youtube's account openings, are in greek...might shoot video, text it to buddy who does have account, to post for me.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Been here for 2+ yrs, and still dont know how to post pics. A lightbulb went on, the other day, to open up a youtube account. So, try'n to do that, so i can upload a vid of it..it'll make ur ears bleed...only problem i'm hav'n is, it seems to me, youtube's account openings, are in greek...might shoot video, text it to buddy who does have account, to post for me.
My ears are already bleeding from listening to my truck whine endlessly this weekend.

Well you cant post the picture directly to the FORUM. You need to upload them to Photobucket or PICASA or a server and then provide the LINK to the forum. You insert the link using the INSERT IMAGE icon. It then displays the image.

When the weather warms I am gonna swap the universal joints. Its called the "throwing parts at the problem" strategy. At 200k its easier to justify.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Freshman User

GreenTerracePSD is starting off with a positive reputation.
In for what solves your problem.
The problem I have on a 07 f350 is at about 40 mph it vibrates, not too bad and there is a shutter noise at times. Goes away when i let off the throttle. I saw the rear u-joint has play so i will replace that first and see if this solves the problem, I will also try the shimming the carrier bearing bracket.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
03, 2wd, 99, bearing, carrier, diesel, f250, install, installation, metal, pic, powerstroke, precision, replacement, sd