1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Remove Transfer Case - 2003 Excursion 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 PM
bulletpruf
Laughing Gas
Received 248 Likes on 180 Posts
How to Remove Transfer Case - 2003 Excursion 7.3

Fellas -

Truck is a 2003 Excursion, 7.3, 110k, daily driver. Some 4x4 use in the snow, and 4x4 is working fine.

Pulled the fill plug out of my transfer case this weekend to check the fluid level and the fluid poured out. Drained about two quarts of fluid from there; it was really overfilled. Only way that I can see that happening (besides filling the case from the drain plug with the truck upside down) is if fluid is somehow getting from the tranny to the transfer case. Posted on the trans forum here and that's what someone said was happening - caused by a bad seal.

Could use a little help with the following -

Assuming this is the problem, how difficult is it to remove the transfer case and replace the seal/gasket? I've got plenty of tools and not afraid to tackle something like this. Figure I just remove the driveshaft and unbolt the transfer case, drop it down, replace the seal, replace transfer case. Will drain and re-fill both transfer case and trans while I'm at it.

Wondering how I can positively identify this as the issue w/o transfer case removal. Guess I could check the fluid again in a few days to see if it is high again and see if I'm losing tranny fluid.

What sort of gasket or seal separates the two?

Is there a handy manual that I could buy? Factory service manual or some other book (Chiltons?) that would help with other than regular maintenance issues with my truck?

Thanks!

Scott

Old 03-30-2010, 05:55 AM
bulletpruf
Laughing Gas
Fellas -

Anyone have any input?

Thanks,

Scott

Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Zedrive
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For that to occur the seal at the transfer case would also be leaking to allow the fluid into the case. On my setup there was no gasket at the flanges where the trans and tranfer bolt together. maybe yours has a gasket? Thats the point where you'd see some seepage if not a constant drip if you had a bad seal. if it isn't leaking at the mating flange you either have no leak or there is a gasket sandwiched in there sealing the oil in.
If thats the case why mess with it. The most I would do is drain and refill trans and transfer and monitor the levels from there. The capacity is 1.9L or 2 quarts.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you sure that you pulled the fill plug, and not the drian plug on the TC? May sound like a dumb question, but I've seen it done.

The other thing that got me thinking was you said that you drained out about two quarts, which is about what the TC takes.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:59 AM
bulletpruf
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Fishin76
are you sure that you pulled the fill plug, and not the drian plug on the TC? May sound like a dumb question, but I've seen it done.

The other thing that got me thinking was you said that you drained out about two quarts, which is about what the TC takes.
I'm positive on that one. The fill plug is higher up and near the middle of the case; the drain plug is lower and on the driver's side.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 07-05-2018, 11:57 AM
TrinityGunSlinger
New User
I'm in the same boat, I have the cross member out and most of the TC bolts. The top one is being a pain and I bought some flex head ratchets to get at it. Any body have some tips or guidance on how to get at that top bolt any easier?

Thanks all.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:04 PM
TrinityGunSlinger
New User
Tips for that Trans Case Top Bolt??

I'm in the same boat, I have the cross member out and most of the TC bolts. The top one is being a pain and I bought some flex head ratchets to get at it. Any body have some tips or guidance on how to get at that top bolt any easier?

Thanks all.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:33 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Theres a gasket on the tcase where the I put shaft slides into. It keeps trans fluid out of the tcase and tcase oil from getting Iinto the transmission.
The mating flange on the tcase to trans output is smooth and uses RTV
The bolts on top use a open end wrench, also helps to remove crossmember and use a jack to hold the trans up and lower it slightly, motor mounts will give enough for you to get In there

AND BE CAREFUL these tcase are HEAVY I thought it wouldn't be bad but geeze these suckers are almost as heavy as the old NP205's!!!

Old 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
TrinityGunSlinger
New User
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
Theres a gasket on the tcase where the I put shaft slides into. It keeps trans fluid out of the tcase and tcase oil from getting Iinto the transmission.
The mating flange on the tcase to trans output is smooth and uses RTV
The bolts on top use a open end wrench, also helps to remove crossmember and use a jack to hold the trans up and lower it slightly, motor mounts will give enough for you to get In there

AND BE CAREFUL these tcase are HEAVY I thought it wouldn't be bad but geeze these suckers are almost as heavy as the old NP205's!!!
I have the cross member out and the transmission is resting on a jack and wood block.
Is it safe to lower the jack a little bit to add some clearance on top of the Trans Case?
I don't what to hurt the rear main seals or bell housing on the transmission.
I don't think I can get in there my wrenches and was hoping someone had some silver bullet ratchet extension combo that would help.
Thank you for the advice though Ill give it another shot this afternoon.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:26 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Yes it's fine, above I posted you can lower it and the motor mounts will twist enough for you to basically get your entire body between the floor pan and top of the trans/tcase. I've done it a few times over the years on many different fords

Old 03-10-2020, 01:05 AM
4X4PSD7.3
Freshman User
I just replaced the input seal on the transfer case and the gasket in-between the transmission. To get to the upper bolt next to heat shield surrounding the exhaust I reached one arm around the frame and the heat shield on the passenger side and was able to get a ratchet wrench on it. Once it was on it I reached from the bottom and broke it loose. Did the same thing when installing it back together. It's a tight fit reaching your arm around there but it worked for me. No need to remove heat shield or crossmember like I see many people doing to get this done.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:09 AM
4X4PSD7.3
Freshman User
Also having a flexible ratchet wrench helps to loosing the bolts all the way and to get them back in there. Made the job go by smoothly 👍