Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Emissions on '75 F-150: Will DMV have issues w/ factory setup? No Cat...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:07 PM
psychonoline
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Emissions on '75 F-150: Will DMV have issues w/ factory setup? No Cat...

Hey, all...

I'm new to Arizona, don't know how draconian the emissions stuff is. I need to transfer my F-150 SuperCab over from Florida. I've never had to smog it before.

This is an EXTREMELY original truck. It does NOT have a catalytic converter or smog pump. From everything I can tell, this is how the F-150s came from the factory for '75. My worry is, it looks like the DMV rules say that they are supposed to check for those things on ALL vehicles starting in '75 model year. It's running really well with a new tune-up, so I feel pretty good about the sniffer test.

Am I going to run into issues with the DMV on this? I would HOPE they would be satisfied with the as-built, factory configuration... I'm in Scottsdale, currently. Can anybody recommend a particular inspection station to go to? Anyone else run into issues with their F-150?

Thanks in advance,
-Josh

Old 03-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello Josh, I bet you will have issues with the no smog pump and no cat thing... even if it never came with one. they may give you a pass on it, but can't say for sure.

Pinal county has no emissions testing... move there.

either way good luck!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,675 Likes on 1,131 Posts
take your air filter out, turn the Idle screws in just until it starts to get rough, bump the Idle up a few rpm and take it in. it will be so lean it should pass with no problem, as far as not having a cat you might have to prove that it was factory with out one.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 AM
wabiker
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Draconian Indeed....worse than California in my experience.
Theyre all about the same...run by the Same company all linked by computer.
You will have NO say in anything.
They will get your truck info based off your VIN.
Get a new Gas Cap/s before you go in if there is ANY evidence of cracking around the seal.
Make sure your engine is nice an warmed up. Leave it Idling while waiting in line.

.....Or..... sign up for Hagerty Classic Car insurance. No emissions insp. required.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bill W

Pinal county has no emissions testing
Yes they do

Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 AM
psychonoline
Cross-Country
So can anybody recommend a "friendly" inspection station that I should go to?

Thanks,
-Josh

Old 03-30-2010, 11:54 AM
wabiker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by psychonoline
So can anybody recommend a "friendly" inspection station that I should go to?

Thanks,
-Josh
Sorry man...*friendly* doesnt apply. Theyre all run by the same company/government contractor. All linked to the same computer system. The *inspectors* are little more than minimum wage processors.
Hook you up, punch in the numbers and hit send. The only thing the inspectors do is ensure all the lines are connected, and parts are in place according to a Spec Sheet.

You get two inspections per go thru. Take it in...get your printout, then see what you need to tweak. You may pass just fine....or not.
Im running a Carter AFB...and have a set of needles I use JUST for Inspection. But I had to find my baseline before I started tweaking it.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:10 PM
psychonoline
Cross-Country
So how do I go about getting a copy of the standardized spec sheet for my truck? It would be real useful to have BEFORE the test so I can know what they will be looking for...

Thanks,
-Josh

Old 03-30-2010, 02:24 PM
wabiker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by psychonoline
So how do I go about getting a copy of the standardized spec sheet for my truck? It would be real useful to have BEFORE the test so I can know what they will be looking for...

Thanks,
-Josh
What theyre looking for is to ensure you have *everything connected* and that you meet EPA standards for Maricopa county.
Spec Sheet, I dont know other than sending your VIN to Ford and getting a print up. I seem to remember a link somewhere on these forums to do just that.

Look, Although Draconian, its really not a big deal. If your Truck is Stock or near to it, then just run it thru. They'll explain what the issues if any, are.. and give you a print out. Hydrocarbons etc etc.
Like I said, its a good idea to get the baseline for it anyway.
Then if you dont pass, you can take that printout to a shop that has a Gas Analyzer, and they can tweak you back to spec. for a nominal fee.

But before you get tested...go thru the engine compartment.
Make sure all the Vacuum/Emission Line-Hose are capped off or connected or APPEAR to be connected. No cracks/leaks.
Make sure the Carb bolts are snugged down.
Make sure your Air Filter is clean or new.
Make sure you not dumping a load of oil on the ground when you park. Ive seen them refuse to test someone cuz of excessive oil leakage.
I usually run a can of Beerymans G-12 thru my Gas tank prior to testing.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SGnAZ
Yes they do
When did that start? My Mom lives in Oracle (Pinal) and she does not have emissions testing that i know of.... I have not lived in Pinal county for 26+ years myself so maybe it has changed...

Old 03-30-2010, 10:39 PM
kstones63
Senior User
Isn't 75 the first year of the change to F-150 from F-100??? I am thinking that the 75 F-150 didn't have a cat or a smog pump on it. That is why they switched to the F-150, to avoid some of the emmisions. I had a 77 F-250 that didn't have a smog pump or cats on it from the factory and I think the 75 F-150 was the same.
Not 100% sure.

Kevin

Old 04-01-2010, 09:53 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bill W
When did that start? My Mom lives in Oracle (Pinal) and she does not have emissions testing that i know of.... I have not lived in Pinal county for 26+ years myself so maybe it has changed...
Not sure when it started Bill,We moved here in 2008 and had to go through it to reg the truck,and last year and this year.Maybe only certain parts of pinal

Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SGnAZ
Not sure when it started Bill,We moved here in 2008 and had to go through it to reg the truck,and last year and this year.Maybe only certain parts of pinal

Correct, I guess only in certain parts of Pinal does it apply. I asked my Mom if she ever has to test her car and she said no.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:00 PM
buckbr549
Freshman User

If you drive into Maricopa to work you have to get tested. When I lived in AJ and worked in Mesa I had to go threw every year.