Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine cuts out when wipers turn on. 7.3 Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 04:11 PM
tappit01
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just wonder here but, could you change the ground location on the wipers to clear up this problem?

Old 09-11-2013, 04:14 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by tappit01
just wonder here but, could you change the ground location on the wipers to clear up this problem?
Yes.

But why not just get the correct part. Its about $20.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:18 PM
tappit01
Elder User
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Yes.

But why not just get the correct part. Its about $20.
i would buy the correct one, but the guy who didn't might have a bunch of wire laying around in his garage.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tappit01
I have been thinking of replacing my wiper motor to try to solve the problem. I believe the motor may have an issue and mabe why the cps kills the truck. I have in the past years seen a wiper motor code come up on my AE once or twice. The codes came up long before trying the BWD cps. So mabe us that are having the issue with the BWD have a worn out wiper motor causing interference????

Old 09-11-2013, 04:32 PM
tappit01
Elder User
Originally Posted by Crewcab Turbo
I have been thinking of replacing my wiper motor to try to solve the problem. I believe the motor may have an issue and mabe why the cps kills the truck. I have in the past years seen a wiper motor code come up on my AE once or twice. The codes came up long before trying the BWD cps. So mabe us that are having the issue with the BWD have a worn out wiper motor causing interference????
i no the grounds seem to be a problem at times, it worth a shot.
i no this dont compare but...
i had a 94 dodge dakota once that i bought cheap because the guy said it had an electrical problem and the wipers would'nt work even with a new motor in place. i ran a new ground wire and never had a problem again.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:12 AM
Tact
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What code(s) are showing up when the CEL light comes on?

I had a similar situation yesterday in the rain and I recently replaced my CPS with an aftermarket CPS from Autozone. I think it was a Duralast brand.

I changed it trying to fix another issue which ended up being a bad ICP, but I kept the original CPS as a spare.

My symptom was while my truck was shifting gears it would stumble for a split second. At one point the CEL came on and I intend to pull the Code(s) sometime this morning. Curious as to what code(s) I need to be looking for to see if my CPS is the issue.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Oregon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy wipers shutting down engine

I am have having this same problem with my 1999 7.3 super duty. Using the wipers will shut down the engine. It happens rain or shine. Replaced the cps with a ford cps. Still happening. Replace the wiper motor, still happening. Re wired the wiper motor, still happening. I had a mechanic spend two days going over all the wiring ect. He has no idea. If I am giving the truck fuel it just hiccups and the check engine light comes on. If I am at a stop engine shuts off. Please help with any advice!!!! I have tried everything and have reached a point I may have to sell.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:30 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Checked all your ground connections? A bad ground in the electrical system can cause the wipers to trip the stall issue.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've read where people have solved that problem by relocating the wiper ground elsewhere. I can't speak from experience on this issue, though.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by StevieMc
I had Ford replace my aftermarket CPS today with a Ford unit.

Drove home about 50 miles with wipers on intermittent, no cut outs. It was not raining. I had the wipers on just to test.

So far the Ford CPS seemed to fix the problem....this forum rocks!!!!
Yea, But now you have a scratched windshield.......LOL

Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 PM
Oregon
New User
Checked all grounds and hard wired the wiper motor to isolate the motor. Problem still occurs.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:08 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Oregon... try turning on your wipers very quickly past all the intermittent settings directly to full on fast wiping. Does it still stall? Most people report that the stalling only occurs when the wipers are turned to an intermittent setting. If we determine that is the case with yours too, then we can at least know that the failure you are experiencing is similar to most people who have had the same problem.

If you find that the truck no longer stalls when turning the wiper switch quickly and immediately past any intermittent setting... all the way to full run, then at least you have a temporary work around to fall back on, since it does rain quite a bit in Oregon.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Oregon
New User
You are right it has not stalled so far if I go quickly to the fast speed. Yet, stalls as I go through the intermittent speeds. So at least I can drive in the rain for now. Trouble shooting continues

Old 08-25-2014, 07:12 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Originally Posted by Oregon
You are right it has not stalled so far if I go quickly to the fast speed. Yet, stalls as I go through the intermittent speeds. So at least I can drive in the rain for now. Trouble shooting continues
Great, we've made some critical progress then!

You don't have to sell it, and you can still drive it. (Because it always is raining in Oregon!). Also, to be clear, you don't have to have your wipers in the "FAST" position all the time... you just have to turn your wipers on QUICKLY, rotating the switch PAST all of the interval settings. You can still run your wipers on the SLOW speed, as long as it is slow in the steady state position, not slow in the interval position.

What we are trying to avoid here (until the issue gets resolved permanently) is allowing the wiper switch to linger momentarily in any Interval position, as that will stall the truck. So I would suggest rotating the wiper switch quickly to FAST, then back it down one notch to Slow. This at least gives you two speed wiper operation.

The progress in diagnosis has pointed toward potential involvement with the General Electronic Module (GEM module).

Ford's workshop manual states: "When the wiper switch is placed in the interval wipe positions, the GEM responds to the windshield wiper washer switch commands."

I'm not suggesting running out and replacing your GEM. Replacing a GEM the way Ford recommends involves reprogramming the module, which generally is done with a factory scantool (not AE) that supports flash programmable module configuration capture (aka PMI extraction) and reprogramming.

One thing that would help in continuing the diagnosis is to scan the truck (with a Ford specific scantool capable of retrieving Body, Chassis, and ABS codes) to look for any resident DTC body codes from the GEM module, like B1342, B1450, B1453, etc.

This may sound weird, but for the sake of eliminating one tangent of issues with the GEM module early on, make sure all of your brake lights work... in both tails and in the CHMSL, if you have one (3rd brake light at back of cab).

I think the next step would be getting a genuine scan tool and looking for any resident Body codes from the GEM. That tool should be also capable of running a multifunction switch test.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:23 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Oregon... try turning on your wipers very quickly past all the intermittent settings directly to full on fast wiping. Does it still stall? Most people report that the stalling only occurs when the wipers are turned to an intermittent setting. If we determine that is the case with yours too, then we can at least know that the failure you are experiencing is similar to most people who have had the same problem.

If you find that the truck no longer stalls when turning the wiper switch quickly and immediately past any intermittent setting... all the way to full run, then at least you have a temporary work around to fall back on, since it does rain quite a bit in Oregon.
Beautiful troubleshooting!