Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Boyds Aluminum Gas Tanks

Old 01-23-2021, 03:54 PM
Shortbox4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts
Boyds Aluminum Gas Tanks

Anyone used one of these Boyds Aluminum gas tanks? Only holds 4 gallons more than the stock 19 gallon tank. I've been looking for something more along the lines of 25 gallon. I don't want the 38 gallon aftermarket tanks.

https://fueltankparts.com/collection...t-non-efi-tank

Old 01-23-2021, 09:53 PM
EQCMCAT
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Shortbox 4 x 4,
Got one since May 2020, but I haven't yet installed it. Purchased it solely because of the areo automotive in tank fuel pimp for when I swap my 77 F-150 4x4 over to Holley Sniper 2300 EFI. That project will be next, once I finish current project getting cross member out to enable pulling RB 435 transmission to re-seal front input shaft. I'm okay not having more than one tank; used to have the OEM behind the seat but removed it two years ago. Don't use the truck enough and didn't want old fuel in one of the two tanks. Filled the aft axle tank in June 2019 and still have 1/3 tank. As you can see, I don't put many miles on it annually. So holding capacity isn't an issue under my current driving habit.
My opinion of boyd tanks, they're made exceptionally well and boyd uses quality in-tank fuel pumps.
Know I may not of answered your question directly, but hope I've been able to provide you some insight on Boyd fuel tanks.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:34 PM
Shortbox4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts
My truck is a late 77 F150. Never had the in cab tank. At times I wish it did. I take the truck to our place up in the Northern part of the state. 240 miles one way and pulling one of the ATV trailers. What we call our half way point and usually stop for bathroom break....I pull into town and the gas gauge is on E! I hate running it that close. So sometimes I make a quick stop before that. That’s why I’m looking for a bigger tank but like I said, “don’t want that 38 gallon aftermarket type tank because of how low it sits.

Your tank bolt right in? No frame modifications etc...? No problems with hooking up the filler and vent hose?

Thanks again!

Old 01-24-2021, 09:29 AM
EQCMCAT
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Shortbox 4x4,
Haven't installed the Boyb Welding gas tank yet. Through phone calls exchange W/Boyd Welding, studying there pictures and then looking at the actual tank after it arrived. Think I'll have to drill four holes in the cross members, two each in the forward cross member and two each holes in the rear cross member to mount the tank. You see in your picture above the angle flange, they'll connect / mount to the forward and rear cross member where the tank sit between them. That is the only modification I'm envisioning. Plan to use stainless steel 3/8" bolts, W/fender washers and flange nuts to mount then tank. So I don't envision drilling into the frame, just the two cross members. Have already cut 1/8" thick rubber squares and plan to use them between the cross member and the tank's aluminum flanges. My over arching concern has been, but was assured by Boyd Welding there is enough clearance between the top of the tank with the vent installed, fuel pump wiring and the floor of the bed. I don't want to shim the bed up anymore more then it is already; there are a few body shims between the frame rails and the bed mounting holes.