Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Elder User

RMBC Freeride has a good reputation on FTE.RMBC Freeride has a good reputation on FTE.
Installed '05-'07 Lariat Woodgrain Dash Panel & Navigator wheel in my Excursion

I've wanted to do this as part of my Excursion build. Finally got around to making it happen. I mostly liked it because the woodgrain matched my door trim and center console. Also makes it look like a newer truck and I get upfitter switches! Always liked the Navi Steering wheel and again it had matching woodgrain.

But most of all I LOVE the lower dash panel with the extra glove box in it. It is a sweet spot for my ipod, etc. And it also allows access under the dash to reach up and plug in wires on the stereo, or route wiring under the dash without taking everything apart.

First off, let me say it is not "plug-and-play" or "direct fit" by any stretch of the imagination. I had to cut out a good portion of the dash behind the stereo, since the 05-07 stereo and heater control unit are further right than on previous models (SEE PAGE 2 FOR PICS). The lower panel took minor trimming for the 12V outlet and for the mini-glove box. I also had to find the right switch panels and remove the 4x4 switch from my panel an put it on this one since the plugs are different. The power pedal switch wiring will not reach over to the left far enough so I have it (temporarily) in the "rear window" location. And worst of all, I don't have a rear defrost switch. Which is not a problem at the moment cuse it is not working for some reason. hopefully i can find a momentary OEM switch that fits in that oval switch opening. Anybody know of one from another Ford vehicle? EDIT: I found an oval-shaped defrost switch out of a mid-2000's Mercury Gran Marquis or Ford Crown Victoria. Haven't tried it yet, but it fits the panel.

I also painted all the panels in the matching dark brown (same as my original dash shroud). I used SEM trim dye/paint, which was matched by my local auto paint store.

OK, enough blabbing... on with the pics.

Click the image to open in full size.

With flash on - shows wheel better

Flash off, shows lower dash better

Prior to painting: One on the right is a broken one I used for trial-fitting. My local salvage yard is awesome!
2002 Excursion LTD-Ultimate 4WD 7.3 PSD (major project, here): 35" Dura-Grapplers, Regeared to 4.10's, V-codes+2.5" leveling kit front, C-code+extra leaf rear, 4" Magnaflow turbo-back, EBPV delete, 1.0AR Exh. Housing, Bellowed up-pipes, DIY 6637+Petes cover, Wicked Wheel, Banks 6.0 Intercooler, 6.0 Trans Cooler, RiffRaff HPx, AIH & FRx, PHP Tunes, T500 HPOP

Last edited by RMBC Freeride; 12-12-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Defrost switch
Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Elder User

X-Hibition has a great reputation on FTE.X-Hibition has a great reputation on FTE.X-Hibition has a great reputation on FTE.X-Hibition has a great reputation on FTE.
Where does my switch go for the adjustable pedals?

Sweet.
2005 Excursion Limited 4x4 PSD with Airaid Intake, KC Light Bar w/four Pro Comp 9911, Yakima Rack w/ eight bars, C-Betr, Oilguard Bypass Filter, Jotto Desk, Banks Six Gun Tuner & Intercooler, MBRP T-304 SS Turbo back Exhaust, Icon 5" All Spring lift, Mag-Hytec front and rear diff covers, RAS, Cragar Cryo rotors, Hawk pads, 4.10 gears with Eaton LSD, 18" Eagle Alloys, 285/75-18 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar, PIE ...so far
Old 03-26-2010, 07:21 PM
New User

P229SIG is starting off with a positive reputation.
This looks awesome. Nice work! Mind if I ask how much and how long it took?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Postmaster

william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
I bet you can't do it again. I'll let you try on my truck.

Looks great!!! Reps!!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Elder User

RMBC Freeride has a good reputation on FTE.RMBC Freeride has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Hibition View Post
Where does my switch go for the adjustable pedals?

Sweet.
It goes to the left of the steering wheel, but the wires don't reach that far. I need to extend the wires so I can put it where it belongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by P229SIG View Post
This looks awesome. Nice work! Mind if I ask how much and how long it took?
Thanks. I'm not sure on the cost because my salvage guy basically threw it in with the pile of parts I got from him. I'm guessing it would cost $100-$150 for the parts. took me several evenings and a full Sunday. having done it once, the second one would go faster. Mounting the stereo took a long time because the mounting kits that are available don't work since i changed dashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_04_x View Post
I bet you can't do it again. I'll let you try on my truck.
Looks great!!! Reps!!
I don't want to do it again... don't want anyone else to have one like it!!! hahaha!
thanks for the reps
2002 Excursion LTD-Ultimate 4WD 7.3 PSD (major project, here): 35" Dura-Grapplers, Regeared to 4.10's, V-codes+2.5" leveling kit front, C-code+extra leaf rear, 4" Magnaflow turbo-back, EBPV delete, 1.0AR Exh. Housing, Bellowed up-pipes, DIY 6637+Petes cover, Wicked Wheel, Banks 6.0 Intercooler, 6.0 Trans Cooler, RiffRaff HPx, AIH & FRx, PHP Tunes, T500 HPOP
Old 03-27-2010, 01:54 AM
Post Fiend

AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
i've thought about this ever since i sat in a 05-07. but i'll be happy with just the lower section i could use that extra little glove box.

your install is awsome! very clean! i love it!
2011 F-150 Limited #3679 6.2 V8 4x4, Retrax bed cover, Husky mud flaps and wheel liners, HIDs, 35% tint
2002 Excursion Limited V10 4x4, 2.5/2" lift, HIDs,LEDs,20" DC wheels
1998 Expedition XLT 5.4 4x4,HIDs,16x8 ultra wheels,LEDs, HIDs
1991 F-250 lairat 4x4 5.0, 7'6" BOSS snow plow, Back Rack, Strobes, Work lights
Old 03-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Elder User

Big Sky is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Big Sky is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nice job!!!I really like the lower dash panel with the extra glove box and switches. Do you know if that can be added alone without updating the upper dash?

Also, is are the gauges and speedo the same or did you have to swap that out too?
2002 PSD Excursion Limited 4x4, Mineral Grey. Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar. DC Power 185 Amp Alternator. MagnaFlo 4: Turbo Back, Aero Turbine 4040XL Muffler. Michelin LTX AT2, Rancho RS9000 XL, 6.0 tranny cooler

2000 F-250 SC 4x4 V-10, Burgundy
Old 03-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Elder User

Big Sky is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Big Sky is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I forgot to ask, were you able to update the A/C vents on the passenger side?
2002 PSD Excursion Limited 4x4, Mineral Grey. Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar. DC Power 185 Amp Alternator. MagnaFlo 4: Turbo Back, Aero Turbine 4040XL Muffler. Michelin LTX AT2, Rancho RS9000 XL, 6.0 tranny cooler

2000 F-250 SC 4x4 V-10, Burgundy
Old 03-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Elder User

Big Sky, you can add just the lower panel but it has a sharp corner that will not match up exactly with the older-style upper panel. Another member (strokersace) did a similar install, so I can't take much credit for the lower panel. Although, mine is the first I've seen with the extra glove-box. His gallery shows it well, he shaved down the sharp corner to make it match. Here: 2002 Ford F350 4x4 - Upfitter Install

As for the A/C vent on the far right side, no you cant make it match the other 3. Unless you want to paint it black or get a black one from a salvage yard. the size and shape will always be different. i was worried about it at first, but once I got it installed, it's not a big deal IMO.

Thanks for all the compliments!

I'm grinnin' every time I get behind the wheel!!! I think it's one of the coolest things I've done to my X so far.

Last edited by RMBC Freeride; 03-27-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: screenname
Old 03-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Elder User

Forgot to answer your question about the gauge cluster - It is my original cluster. The 05-07 cluster will not work in our trucks (at least not for the diesels).
Old 03-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Senior User

HUBBSTER has a good reputation on FTE.HUBBSTER has a good reputation on FTE.
Looks great. I got my dash kit for my Vette from ApsisUSA.com so I'll get one for my Ex from them too

Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Senior User

DaveandJennyP is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DaveandJennyP is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
RMBC....That looks awesome!!!

2003 Excursion V-10 Limited 4x4 in Mineral Grey. Improvements done by me: V's, Modified B's, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Bilstein Shocks, Red-Head Steering Gear,wireless back-up camera, all new exhaust manifold bolts, 5-STAR TUNES! Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, AeroForce scan gage.

Last edited by DaveandJennyP; 03-27-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Elder User

YellowSled is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
very nice upgrade.
2000 Volvo S70 5speed
Old 03-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Senior User

hwybee22 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I didn't read it freeride, but was understood that the dash wasnt a plug and play. So is the steering wheel a plug in play. Your dash looks really good. Nice work and pro.
Toyo Open Country 37X13.5X20 on Moto Metal with 8" ProComp Lift, Fox Racing Shox/ Stabilizer, MBRP Exhaust w/ 6in Tip, AFE bladerunner & Cold intake stage 2, SCT X3 Tuner, Powerslots, Hawk pads, Weather Tech air deflectors, Buffalo Nerf Bars. Alpine headunit and JL speakers. Dieselsite coolant filter and ARPs waiting to go in!
Old 03-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Elder User

From what I've read here on the forums and from looking at a few different steering wheels, The Navi wheel is a direct fit, depending on year. My X is a 2002 and the wiring behind the wheel was different than my friend's 2000 X, and also different than the 1998 Navi wheel that I bought. But I was able to remove the switches and wiring from my wheel and put it in the Navi wheel, and put the old Navi switches in my old wheel, which we installed in my friend's 2000 X. he did not have the audio controls in his old wheel, and I'm not sure if they work on his now since he had an aftermarket stereo.

So... From what I have gathered, 1998-2000 Navi wheels work on 2000-2001 X's.
and 2001-2002 Navi Wheels work on 2002-2005 X's
(plus or minus a year - not 100% sure)

Hope that helps. thanks again everyone for the compliments
Old 03-28-2010, 03:46 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
07, 2002, 2005, console, excursion, excusion, ford, grain, kit, lariat, navigator, rear, wheels, wood, woodgrain