2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Conversation Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:34 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Conversation Mirror

How can I get a Conversation Mirror for my Navigator? I have a sunroof, so by the rule of Ford Motor Company, I have a sunglasses compartment but no mirror to see the kiddies.

I scoped out an Expy today with no sunroof and it appears I could remove my sunglasses compartment and snap a conversation mirror in its place.

Ford will sell me the entire overhead console for about $250 (list was even higher!). My kids ain't that cute, but I'd like to see them.

I know I could go the Pep Boys / Babys R Us route and get a generic mirror from them, but I really like the slick OEM approach.

I've got to match my camel interior. Any ideas besides swapping one out at an unsuspecting rental car place?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:21 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
mirror

gpf--

My 07 expy has one, but let me give you my take on them

When my expy is loaded with lord knows whose kids, grandkids etc I dont want to see or hear them ! I figure that as long as a door dosnt come open, then their little bodies will still be there when I stop----can deal with them then. Am strongly considering a headset with a "white noise" source for peace and quiet! In addition I wont have to listen to the lovely little lady bit** about my driving.

Dont recall when I developed this opinion, but the older I get the more convinced I am

Still love the little devils, but want some "PEACE & QUIET"!! There is a good chance I am loosing it . Be careful what you wish for---LOL

Old 04-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
went and looked at mine, the mirror and the sunglasses holder look like they are the exact same size

I have no idea on how to remove them though without any breakage. If I could figure that out, I'd try swapping them for ya

Old 04-05-2010, 08:55 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Ben,

I'm hoping the mirror will help me to be a better referee!

Tylus,

You're too cool... thanks for comparing them!

I took a tiny screwdriver and started poking around and here's what I found.

The left side rotates on a little white pin. The right side rotates inside a black circular shaped gizmo.

The little white pin is very simple. I was able to pry very gently between the left edge of the sunglasses compartment and the upper console and the case popped right off the pin. I thought the white pin might be spring-loaded like a toilet paper holder, but it seemed to be fixed in place. Its slightly oblong-shaped, so you have to orient the compartment (or mirror, I'd assume) when you snap it back together.

The black circular shaped gizmo on the right side isn't very simple, but it's pretty simple. The gizmo is spring-loaded and helps the compartment to rotate into position. When you slide the compartment back in you need to make sure that the gizmo is partly rotated (basically, pre-loading the spring a little) as the compartment won't mesh into the gizmo properly otherwise.

I put the black side back together first and then the white side easily snapped back into place.

Wow, odd Ford doesn't hire me to write service manuals, eh?

I've got a lead on a local '07 Expy being dismantled... I've got to check tomorrow to find out what color interior and if it has a mirror.

Cheers,
Greg