1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

EXTREMELY rough running after startup, but cleared up? WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
EXTREMELY rough running after startup, but cleared up? WTF???

hey guys. earlier today i started my truck up coldish(80* oil temp) and it started just fine like normal. i let it start warming up and after letting it run for about 15 seconds of idle time it starting working itself into a slight lope. it has done that for awhile now so i thought nothing of it. well it worked into a small lope like normal, but this time wasn't like other times. normally it will work into a little bit of a lope for a couple seconds then go back to smooth idle. This time it kept loping worse and worse and worse. the engine was popping hard enough that there was smoke just misting out of the stacks pretty good. i took the RPMs up to around 1400 RPM and it just kepting doing this all the way up to 1400 RPM. so i took it up to 2000 RPM and it smoothed out SOME, but not much. looked back and smoke was just about pouring out of the stacks(black smoke), but i wasn't being hard on the throttle at all. just barely touching it.

Let it idle again and unplugged the <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</ACRONYM>. the engine popped one good time as soon as i did that and then went right back to being dumb so i plugged it back in. during this whole time <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</ACRONYM> appeared to stay normal, but <ACRONYM title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</ACRONYM> DC% was fluctuating between 12-20%. i switched programs on the chip, no change except for idle speed. turned the truck off, then back on about 10 seconds later and no change, it was still idling crappy and smoking slightly. took it out on the street in street race and went to accelerate.. <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</ACRONYM> jumped up to 2900psi, but the truck DID NOT move for chit. it was like there was no fuel there. i looked behind me and there wasn't any smoke. so now i'm thinking to myself like what the hell is going on? i switched tanks to the rear tank and let it idle and after about a 20 seconds it started idling smooth(now oil temp is only 128*). so i took off and fed it some of the ole right foot and it took off like a crazy mother just like it normally does and left a trail of black smoke everywhere since i was in my street race tune. drove it a few miles then back to work and it ran perfectly fine. got back to work, switched it to the front tank of fuel again and everything was fine. let it idle for about 5-10 minutes and it idled smooth and revved nicely the whole time i let it sit there idling. so now i don't think it's a front tank problem as i'm not getting that problem now on the front tank. NO <ACRONYM title="Check Engine Light">CEL</ACRONYM> was set this whole time either

I'm wondering if this could be connected to a problem i had yesterday. yesterday i was doing some testing and lugged the engine down in 5th gear @ 1200 RPM and as the boost started to come on it set the <ACRONYM title="Check Engine Light">CEL</ACRONYM> and lost a little power.. Not much power was lost, but i found that the <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</ACRONYM> was low(maxing at 2000psi instead of 2600psi), boost pressure was 5lbs lower than normal, and at idle the <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</ACRONYM> was higher than normal @ 1000psi. unplugged the <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</ACRONYM> and NO change in idle(was idling a little rough, but not bad at all. just could tell it wasn't QUITE right). plugged the <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</ACRONYM> back in and pulled the codes and got these--- P1280, P0113, P0478. haven't looked these up yet to see what they were. i turned the truck off and then started it back up again a few seconds later and everything returned to normal. <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</ACRONYM> was normal, full power was back, normal boost pressures, and normal idle.

So, any thoughts guys??????
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 03-25-2010, 03:03 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
maybe the screen in the pick up tube on the front tank is stoped up and starving it for fuel or the tank selector an the frame rail is not working as it should

Old 03-25-2010, 03:14 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe you're abusive to your truck and it doesn't want to take it anymore...

Old 03-25-2010, 03:40 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by strokersace
Maybe you're abusive to your truck and it doesn't want to take it anymore...
While that wouldn't surprise me i don't think it minds taking it.. So far it has refused to give up on me??? I've been being nicer to it lately too. nice and easy on it except for the testing i was doing on the econo tune and extreme tunes to take comparisons of pulsewidth, ICP, and IPR DC%.. that's the only time i've been hardish on it lately. haven't even taken it to the drag strip since October, but maybe it overheard me considering racing it at the upcoming event on April 10th???

Old 03-25-2010, 04:06 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IDK.... sounds like you spoke to loud and it heard what was coming so it rebeling lol. Track opens April 2nd up here and I refuse to let my truck hear cuz she will get a temper haha. I think that you need a fuel pressure gauge and if you already have one then you need to see what you fuel pressures are when this kinda crap is happening. But idk, if its got no ***** then does it make sense for the truck to have no power. It would make sense on the smoking black side of things but no in the other sense..... My truck acted funny on me the past two days, wonder if they know our plans haha.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:06 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL. I bet that is it! In all seriousness though, I really don't have a clue to help. Maybe an IPR issue? Maybe an ICP sensor issue. That's were I'd look I think.

Good luck man!

Old 03-25-2010, 05:50 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

You said you have been nice to it lately maybe it doesn,t like it lol I,ts tellin you to HAMMER DOWN get the cobwebs out LMAO

Old 03-25-2010, 10:25 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
i drove it 30 miles back home from work on the tank that it was screwing up on. didn't seem to run quite right. got home, drained the water seperator and got no water in the fuel(drained into a coke bottle and saw no water seperation). i popped the hood and checked the fuel pressure earlier while it was acting up and fuel pressure was the normal 70psi, no fuel or oil leaks anywhere. it's full on oil. everything is good on it. i have a new ICP and pigtail in it and the IPR has new o-rings and all that fun stuff. wonder if it's just sticking real bad, but the P1280 code tells me ICP out of range low or something i think. gotta go back and look again. once i got home i switched tanks as the one i was on is down to 1/4 tank and i never take them down any farther than that so i'm going to put about half a tank in there and see if it runs good on it. I actually can't tell any difference after switching tanks now. it just doesn't seem to be running quite right, but if i floor it then it spools and hauls azz just like normal. @ WOT feels like it has all it's power, but looks like it's building ICP kinda slowly. instead of popping straight to 2600psi in the extreme tune it pops up to around 2200 psi and climbs kinda slowly from there up to 2600psi.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:21 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
That's weird because in those vid's it was at 2,900 or so. Is it at all possible to get a little air in the hpop when you nail it then let off a dozen times in a row? Mine will seem a little rough for a few seconds then be OK after 'playing'. Your injectors are pretty new, aren't they? If not fill your fuel bowl up with PS to give them a quick clean. Maybe do it anyway, maybe something got into one or two of them?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:43 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
That's weird because in those vid's it was at 2,900 or so. Is it at all possible to get a little air in the hpop when you nail it then let off a dozen times in a row? Mine will seem a little rough for a few seconds then be OK after 'playing'. Your injectors are pretty new, aren't they? If not fill your fuel bowl up with PS to give them a quick clean. Maybe do it anyway, maybe something got into one or two of them?
the injectors probably have around 50-70k miles on them now on the stage 2 build. more before that.. they were in my buddy's SD that cracked the block. we took them out of his truck and through them in this truck. i just thought about something. I remember Roy telling me he "cleaned" out the injectors before he brought them to me.. wonder what he sprayed in them....... be my luck he hit them with like brake cleaner or carb cleaner or something that tears up O-rings really bad and i now have internal injector o-rings going bad. phone call going out to Jim tomorrow!!! On the CCT tests that i have done i get codes for cylinders 1,2, and 3 cylinder contribution/balance faults. i have done the CCT test about 5 or 6 times all with the same results and oil temp around 195* at the time of the CCT tests... i never thought anything about him "cleaning" them out b/c it did get water in the oil and he was getting the oil out of them since there was water in it. thinking now though the truck ran AWESOME after we got the air out of it, but it smoked HORRIBLY while we were driving it to bleed the air out of the HPO system. i'm talking white/grey smoke while cruising at 50mph and completely covering the entire highway(5 lanes.. ppl slammed on their brakes b/c they couldn't see) when i got on it. yep, call needs to go out to Jim tomorrow at some point and i may have a new set of injectors on the way.... the truck has ran progressively worse ever since the install. ran AWESOME at first, still runs OK now @ WOT, but the idle has gotten progressively worse, misses a little at steady cruising RPM. this was progressive and i haven't noticed it much, but now that i'm thinking on it it makes a little sense, but gotta verify with Jim and see what Roy sprayed through the injectors.

I strongly doubt the injectors are causing this issue, but i don't think they are in great shape. probably have a differen't problem. maybe the IPR sticking or something, but i haven't diagnosed a sticking IPR yet and don't know how to know if it's sticking or not.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:50 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
ahhh schucks, dont you hate it when parts go bad and your "forced" to upgrade? haha

Old 03-25-2010, 11:53 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JamesHajek
ahhh schucks, dont you hate it when parts go bad and your "forced" to upgrade? haha
can't upgrade brother unless i decide to go with 180's instead of 160's, but i doubt i will. i can't afford to throw another turbo on the truck yet so i have to stick with smallish injectors or get a little bigger and keep the tunes low til i can get another turbo, but might be awhile. haha

Old 03-25-2010, 11:59 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Dang. Well i hope you figure out your problem whatever it is.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:14 AM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Travis, If those stage 2's are too troublesome for you, why dont you send them on up here to Washington and ill figure out the problem! haha

Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JamesHajek
Travis, If those stage 2's are too troublesome for you, why dont you send them on up here to Washington and ill figure out the problem! haha
don't think so dude. u know how many ppl have told me that same thing??? way too many and i tell all of them that these injectors are SCREWED and i'm not giving someone injectors that are screwed. i was going to sell a set to Joe, but the poppet valves are all screwed up on them so i can't let myself sell them to Joe and i won't sell anyone these if they are screwed either. i will get another set from Jim and send him these so he can use the good parts for another set of budget builds..

Quick Reply: EXTREMELY rough running after startup, but cleared up? WTF???