1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Redoing front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:50 PM
lbrauer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redoing front end

Hey guys and girls if I can get some feedback on what I need to replace on my 1952 F1 frontend to make it turn better and ride better. I am keeping my straight axel I am guessing king pins, springs, tie rods, ect. If someone could tell me other things I should change I would ge greatfull. I don't think a power steering kit will fit with the exhaust the way it is run so I'm trying something else to help out. I'm thinking some where around $ 1,400 for the replacement does that sound about right? I think Classic Haulers has most of what I'm thinking I will need. As always thanks for the help.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
From what I have read on this site the solid front axle seems to require some future maintenance even if it is all replaced with new parts. King pins and spring bushings, specifically. But it will always ride like a truck which is fine, but is that what you want?

You are getting very close to the cost of an economy Mustang II kit with IFS and power steering.
There is a reason that the manufactures of new trucks (including 4x4) use IFS, in a solid axle when one wheel goes up the other one has to go down.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm running the straight axle on my truck and it rides great. I just got the MLO and replaced the king pins, spring brackets along with the spring shackle bars it wasn't as much as you mentioned though. However, I do have power steering and a drop axle. Check Dennis Carpenter the springs will probably cost the most, mine were OK so I just got the main leafs.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:28 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
King pins, spring hanger bolts and bushings,tie rod ends, steering box if worn (likely). The Toyota PS box will fit almost anywhere the stock box fits. If the springs are not cracked or badly gouged, take them apart (do a search on how to do it safely) clean each leaf, restack with plastic slider strips between (if you won't be hauling heavy loads or traveling off road and/or want to lower your truck some while softening the ride, leave out every other leaf when reassembling). Use good quality radial tires and get a proper alignment. It shouldn't come near that amount unless you have someone else do the labor. Finally get a good set of high quality shocks, not the off the shelf junk from a discount store or chain parts store. I was already planning my front suspension replacement flying out to get my truck. after driving it across the country to get it home I was very impressed with the beam axle, I couldn't tell it wasn't an IFS.
Your front axle lasted 50 years+ so a good rebuild will last another 50 or more years. The only maintainance is a once a year greasing.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Here is the step by step I wrote up when I did mine.

I'm just about to update it with the back spring work I had done. I need to take it back in a week to have one more part made for it. So I will be updating it then with back suspension. But for now, here's some good reading and advice from folks:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-end-savy.html