6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How Nervous Would You Be??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:03 PM
SturgeonHunter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Nervous Would You Be??

I have a bone stock 2004 6.0 PSD, with 108000 miles. I read up on the plugging oil cooler issue and figured I better get check into it. Well, now I am scared. I hooked up a ScanGauge II and here is what it reads.

highway cruising at 55 mph (empty truck, no trailer):
EOT = 196 degrees F
EWT = 188 degrees F

highway cruising at 70 mph (empty truck, no trailer):
EOT = 200-202 degrees F
EWT = 188 degrees F

I know it is not at the 15 degree differential YET, and it is not puking coolant YET, but is my cooler on borrowed time?

Also, if I pull a heavy load am I going to surpass the 15 degree differential?

p.s. - how much am I looking at to have a mechanic replace the oil cooler and EGT cooler, if I have to do it? $2500.00-3000.00?

additional data set: I took it out for a 20 mile highway cruise pulling a 4000 lb trailer.
highway cruising at 70 mph:
EOT = 204 degrees F
EWT = 190 degrees F
Ambient Temp = 45 degrees F

Old 03-24-2010, 06:06 PM
utjer
Elder User
I think you are getting close. I am running at 70mph ECT 183 and EOT 189. (average)

Old 03-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
as long as your within spec you should be fine. when it get out of spec your on borrowed time since it will not fail at 16* off but will start to get farther off and then other issues will popup. if your under 15 i wouldnt stress when you start exceeding that you will want to look into fixing it.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:15 PM
SturgeonHunter
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979
as long as your within spec you should be fine. when it get out of spec your on borrowed time since it will not fail at 16* off but will start to get farther off and then other issues will popup. if your under 15 i wouldnt stress when you start exceeding that you will want to look into fixing it.
Too late, I am already stressing over it.

Any reasonable way to forecast how much time or mileage before repair is necessary?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If it ain't broke.... don't fix it.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 PM
da-bees
Senior User
Originally Posted by SturgeonHunter
Too late, I am already stressing over it.

Any reasonable way to forecast how much time or mileage before repair is necessary?
If there is anyone who can answer that,he is certain to be crowned FTE Guru Extoderineer. However,you can help the odds depending how far you care to go with prevention. How long/many miles have you owned it? Part of the answer you seek lies in how many times coolant has been changed as well as what method was used. Wherether one or both coolers have ever been changed will be considered also.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:43 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If your coolant is clean, and there is no additional sand to work loose and end up in the coolers, you are probably fine.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Again. There is always going to be a temp differential. The coolant cools the oil. The oil cooler is relitively small in size. I'd only worry when you get to 16* or more. It will not just explode at 16*. That will be the forcasting sign your looking for. If you can predict the future you'd be better off doing it for lottery tickets.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 PM
SturgeonHunter
Senior User
Originally Posted by da-bees
If there is anyone who can answer that,he is certain to be crowned FTE Guru Extoderineer. However,you can help the odds depending how far you care to go with prevention. How long/many miles have you owned it? Part of the answer you seek lies in how many times coolant has been changed as well as what method was used. Wherether one or both coolers have ever been changed will be considered also.
I bought the truck (my first diesel) with 56k on it. At that time, the stealer tested the coolant and told me it was was good to go (believing that was probably my first mistake). I changed oil, oil filter, fuel filters, air filter, and tranny fluid/filter at that time. I have always been by the book with fluid and filter changes since day one, and use 5w40 synthetic oil (Rotella T). Now for the bomb.......oil cooler was replaced by dealer at 93000 miles. At that time I did not know what I know now about the casting sand issue, and apparently the dealer did not either because there was no mention of EGR cooler replacement, coolant system flush, or coolant filters. I checked back with the service department and all they did was replenish the coolant that was lost while replacing the oil cooler. They could not give me an actual number on the volume of coolant added. So.....here I am, smarter than I was then, but a day late, dollar short.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, take a breath. I have traveled this road. Right now you have put 15000 miles on your new oil cooler and if you do not have a coolant filter you have been using your new oil cooler for a filter. You need to put a coolant filter on this truck now. The more you run it the more it sends casting sand into your oil cooler. The engine block will shed casting sand throughout its life. Grains of sand that have been embedded in the engine block casting work themselves loose during the thermal expansion/contraction process of operating the engine. It becomes less and less as miles pile up. Though some may disagree, the $165 that it costs to buy the complete kit from Dieselsite is a cheap insurance policy. You can see the value already of being able to monitor this parameter. I use an Edge Insight to keep my eye on it. I consider it the second best insurance policy I have. $400 or so. JMHO and ymmv

Regards

Old 03-24-2010, 09:02 PM
John Diem
Senior User
Riskatic has convinced me that the cooler is the first thing to change on my low mileage 2004 F350

Old 03-24-2010, 09:02 PM
da-bees
Senior User
Ok there you are. Not many miles on the oil cooler and way passed time to flush the cooling system and replace coolant. I vote you follow instructions posted elswhere on this forum for flushing cooling system,keep up maintanance and an eye on temp diff as you have been and enjoy your truck untill you see occasional sorjens of 20+degree.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And Ricatic plans on giving Mr Diem a hand.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:21 PM
His/Hers 6.0s
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Edge Insight?

OK, trying not to hijack this thread, but was mentioned above.
Some of you have helped me getting my EGR Delete/Oil Cooler replacement going and I want to avoid the meltdown just experienced by my brother-in-law's 2005, so I want to monitor.
Is the DashDaq eye candy that I don't need and can I do just as good a job with the Edge Insight keeping an eye on things?
I'm balking a little at the DD $650 price tag. The insight is $299 right now with free shipping.
I know these things can be like religion, but I'm looking for value right now. I want the truck to be solid, not necessarily a show queen.
Thanks guys/gals!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Randy777
Tuned
Last year the dealer replaced my oil cooler along with some other stuff. After the repairs the oil and water temps stayed within about 2-3 degrees. Then I took my 11,000 lb fifth-wheel on a trip. Pulling the Baker grade in California (7 percent) my oil temp went to 255 with water about 220. Outside temp about 90 degrees. I almost had a heart attack. But the trip went fine. I took it to the dealer but it is fine with just the fifth-wheel and we have no steep grade close. So is 255 degrees for 15 minutes or less gonna damage the engine. I doubt it the engine is supposed to defuel before it will damage itself. I have changed to synthetic oil and installed a coolant filter but for now I'm not going to do any more repairs. The dealer told me temps of even 300 degrees for a short time will not hurt the engine. I think hes right because my last tow vehicle (a K-15 Chevy Blazer) always had high oil temps while towing (250-270) and when I sold it with 133,000 miles it still ran fine.

Quick Reply: How Nervous Would You Be??