1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion
Old 11-17-2014, 05:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Oil/Transmission Fluid in my Coolant Reservoir!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by a11m1ghty
Upon reading this last night because I noticed the flurry in my coolant tank, I parked the 03 Nav. Can I flush out the system, bypass the radiators internal tranny cooler with a Jegs aux tranny cooler unit with a fan and still keep the radiator? My tranny has been slipping for the past month. I didn't think to see the connections of these issues.
You might get lucky if you change the fluid and bypass the radiator cooler as soon as possible.
You don't NEED the Jegs unit unless you are pulling a heavy trailer or in the mountains a lot. A standard H.D. unit that is available at most parts stores will do fine. You should seal the connections on the radiator because if fluid can get into the radiator you will likely lose coolant when the Nav needs it the most.
Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 AM
a11m1ghty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
You might get lucky if you change the fluid and bypass the radiator cooler as soon as possible.
You don't NEED the Jegs unit unless you are pulling a heavy trailer or in the mountains a lot. A standard H.D. unit that is available at most parts stores will do fine. You should seal the connections on the radiator because if fluid can get into the radiator you will likely lose coolant when the Nav needs it the most.
Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks MotoMel!!!!! I'm heading to the parts store after work to pick up the parts and have a night of wrenching ahead. I'll definitely keep everyone updated.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:33 PM
a11m1ghty
Senior User
After I drainined the coolant, I noticed that there was an oily residue that is consistant with oil, not tranny fluid. My coolant resovior looked like chocolate milk, not strawberry milk. And I had the white frothy residue along the walls of the resovior.

Now, I found that since I have the factory towing option, the truck has an external and internal (Inside the radiator) tranny cooler.

Is there any where else aside from the head gasket that oil and engine coolant can come into close contact on an 03 Nav? My 98 EB Expy of course has the leaky oil cooler hose and the bad oil cooler hose gasket which has cause the chocolate milk effect (Just got the parts in, just have to install them)..

Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by a11m1ghty
Is there any where else aside from the head gasket that oil and engine coolant can come into close contact on an 03 Nav?
Yes, a leaking intake manifold gasket. However, if the leak is there you will most likely get AF into the crankcase and cause the milky fluid to appear there instead of the reservoir.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:28 AM
bigbeardbiii
Freshman User
'95 Bronco: Tranny Oil in Brand New Vista Pro (Ready Rad) Radiator!

I know this isn't the Bronco Forum but this is the closest thread I could find to my problem(s). I just pulled my radiator, thermostat, & right side heater core hose. I took the thermostat out of the housing, placed the housing back and flushed it out the bottom radiator hose. Then back flushed through the heater core hose to remove coolant/sediment from the block as the drain bolts on the Bronco 5.0 are a nightmare. Anyway, flushed til it was clear water coming out bottom radiator hose. I then installed a brand new Vista Pro (Ready Rad) OEM aftermarket radiator and a Victor Reinz Thermostat gasket (w/victa foam, so don't have to use sealant). Connected everything back-up, filled rad. w/coolant, turned heat on high & cranked Bronco. After about 3-4 minutes, my coolant overflow bottle began overflowing with pinkish milkshake consistency fluid. I immediately turned it off and let it cool. Then, opened the new rad. lid and there is also tranny fluid in the rad opening (pour hole). What in the H**L HAPPENED? Yes, it is tranny fluid and yes, it is the rad. w/the tranny coller built-in w/the two tranny metal pipes going vertically into the rad. just below the opening (pour hole)! How is this suppose to work anyway? I mean if I look into the neck of the opening (pour hole) of rad. about 2" down is the top tranny hose connector which is obviously going straight into the neck of the rad. where you pour the coolant, so how are they suppose to keep from mixing? And, I know they're not suppose to. Luckily, it's not my only transportation so, I will keep it parked until I figure out why it happened and how to fix it. I initially thought that I'd undo all the hoses and pipes, drain all the BRAND NEW coolant, flush & reverse flush again, & refill w/new coolant but now I'm thinking that if there's an issue with why the tranny fluid is going into the rad, then it'll simply do it again! Any advise will be welcomed!

Old 03-20-2014, 02:30 AM
alloro
It's a defective radiator. The tranny cooler is inside of the radiator, but there should be no contact between the 2 different fluids...ever. After replacing the radiator again you will have to flush the cooling system again and most likely the transmission too, if it also shows signs of contamination.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:59 PM
bigbeardbiii
Freshman User
tranny fluid in new rad.

Yeah, I plan on contacting Vista Pro about the problem. They do have a warranty but it states that it's void if it's due to over tightening/stripping threads. I, however, didn't strip the threads as there wasn't any fluid coming out where the lines go into the tranny line connectors on the outside of rad. Whether they replace or not, I plan tonight to flush all lines and back flush again, through heater core hose but since there's tranny fluid in rad & vice-versa is there anything specific I should use other than water to flush with?

Old 03-20-2014, 02:21 PM
alloro
It's more likely a faulty leaking seam in the tranny cooler and not a stripped thread issue.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:17 PM
bigbeardbiii
Freshman User
Tranny Fluid in New Rad

I agree with you and guess what? So did, Rock Auto (so far, they have saved me over $600.00 in parts alone from estimate, on the "Exact" same parts I was given at local repair shop to order them)! They sent me a free return shipping page for Fed-Ex and guaranteed me reimbursement to my credit card as soon as they receive it. Therefore, I went ahead and ordered another one today to save a few days in shipping (surely two bad vista Pro/Ready rad radiator's won't be bad in a row)! Dam* well better not be b/c I still don't know if there will be any further repercussions to my engine & tranny from having trans fluid in engine & rad fluid in tranny!

Old 03-21-2014, 01:36 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
One question I have is if they are liable for all the work that you must perform now?

Also, what about transmission repair?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 AM
gcburkett
Junior User
Since you have not driven the Bronco the transmission will probably be fine with just flushing the fluid.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:33 AM
alloro
There is still a chance that coolant never got into the tranny, if the cooling system never pressurized. You need to inspect the tranny fluid, or you can change it to be on the safe side.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 AM
bigbeardbiii
Freshman User
Tranny Fluid in New Rad

I did check the tranny dipstick and yes, it is milkshake looking and a little lighter red than normal but NOT near as thick and lighter (pink) as the rad. I'm about to begin the unbolting of hoses, draining and cleansing it all! Wish me luck that there's no extensive damage! The upgraded Vista Pro rad is suppose to be here by Tuesday, so I'll know more once I can get it installed and crank it up!

Old 03-22-2014, 02:04 PM
bigbeardbiii
Freshman User
Tranny Fluid in New Rad

Update,
I removed the new/damaged Vista Pro rad., removed therm. from housing and flushed until clear H2O only and then some more coming out of bottom rad. hose. Then, put therm. housing back on (w/out therm. of course) and reverse flushed through the our RH side heater core hose to get engine clean (drain plugs on engine are not easy to get to w/out removing starter, etc... & reversing through heater core hose works nicely). These are the same steps I took to flush system a week ago before putting in the new/damaged rad. Further, I have read, in numerous places that a tranny flush is not the best way to clean it out & possibly worse than not doing at all due to flush possibly loosening metal material that has clung to the magnet in the tranny housing! Therefore, I'm going today to pick-up a new tranny interior filter and synthetic gasket from NAPA (WIX tranny filter). However, I've also heard that there are aftermarket filter brackets that keep the filter from coming loose in tranny housing. I've heard of people not using the brackets and them staying in place and vice-versa. Therefore, I don't know if I should order one or not (since I'll already have tranny pan & filter off (what a messy job that's going to be) and install it while I'm in there so I know filter won't dislodge? Also, from what I can find out, they are only available by ordering (i.e., auto parts stores don't carry). Any thoughts?

Old 03-22-2014, 03:48 PM
alloro
Draining is a better method for getting out the contaminated fluid over flushing, but bear in mind that the torque converter hold 4 quarts that will not get drained out.

Quick Reply: Oil/Transmission Fluid in my Coolant Reservoir!!!!!!!!!!!