Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Scotch-Lok taps are a hack!!!!

Old 02-02-2017, 01:29 AM
rechinca
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Scotch-Lok taps are a hack!!!!
I haven't seen those used in a long time! Not a good way to trust your wiring needs and definitely not a place I would be trusting those!

Old 02-02-2017, 11:34 PM
redcreekauto
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen way to many wiring harness's pieced together with scotch-loks. Loss of amperage on various systems as well as a considerable fire damage if placed in the wrong location. You won't ever find those in our shop.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:00 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by rechinca
I haven't seen those used in a long time! Not a good way to trust your wiring needs and definitely not a place I would be trusting those!
Originally Posted by redcreekauto
I've seen way to many wiring harness's pieced together with scotch-loks. Loss of amperage on various systems as well as a considerable fire damage if placed in the wrong location. You won't ever find those in our shop.
I have them for emergency repairs/MacGyvering but otherwise they are a big no-no.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:13 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I wont even use Scotchloks for that Hio.......I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a #2 Phillips then strip the wires with my teeth and twist them together. Someone gave me a couple of boxes of them once........I threw them all away..........I DESPISE them..........

Old 02-03-2017, 06:49 PM
9thPony
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
Did the 1G fords come with a 10mm belt or a 13mm for the alt/pulley?

What's what I really want to know.

I've got a 10mm belt on mine right now and she squeals like a stuck pig. Wondering if the last owner put on the wrong sized belt cause it sure looks like a 13mm would fit without protruding up above the pulley.
Due to my belt configuration with with aftermarket AC, I could only run a single belt on my 3G. I could not get the squealing to stop.

I ended up switching to a CVF Racing serpentine setup which solved the issue. Not a cheap option, but it got the job done nicely.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:11 PM
redcreekauto
Senior User
I'm running a single belt on mine. I've had no squealing at all. I had previously removed all my pulleys and bead blasted them and repainted them. A new pulley was installed on the alternator. Its no tighter then it should be. I am not running an amp or any high amp draw electronics on it however.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 9thPony
Due to my belt configuration with with aftermarket AC, I could only run a single belt on my 3G. I could not get the squealing to stop.

I ended up switching to a CVF Racing serpentine setup which solved the issue. Not a cheap option, but it got the job done nicely.
Good info. What kit did you order and what motor are you running?

Link or P/N?

I'm not ready to spend $$$ on the CVF pulleys just yet, but don't get me wrong... if I had the extra money, I definitely would.

Originally Posted by redcreekauto
I'm running a single belt on mine. I've had no squealing at all. I had previously removed all my pulleys and bead blasted them and repainted them. A new pulley was installed on the alternator. Its no tighter then it should be. I am not running an amp or any high amp draw electronics on it however.
Both good sets of information.

Are you running a notched belt or a solid belt? What size of belt (width)?

Old 02-06-2017, 02:52 PM
JakeHan
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 78 PEB
I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a #2 Phillips then strip the wires with my teeth and twist them together....
I like that one - my sentiments exactly. I take it you've worked on trailer lights a time or 20??

Old 02-06-2017, 05:12 PM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Nah...........Never.............LMAO

Old 02-06-2017, 05:19 PM
9thPony
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
Good info. What kit did you order and what motor are you running?

Link or P/N?

I'm not ready to spend $$$ on the CVF pulleys just yet, but don't get me wrong... if I had the extra money, I definitely would.
My motor is a 390 with aftermarket AC, 3G alt, and Saginaw PS pump.

I bought the full kit :

https://www.cvfracing.com/Ford-390-S...pentine-ac.htm

I already had the AC and PS brackets so I was able to get a discount on the system.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:58 PM
redcreekauto
Senior User
I am running a solid belt. No frills.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:18 AM
grandpas1974
Junior User
Reviving to discuss pulleys, and b/c I know you all are missing this thread; I mean it's been like two whole months. Anyway, I picked up two 3g alternators at the picknpull last week. Both tested good at local parts store. The one going on came out of a 93 Taurus wagon and the backup out of a 96 stang. Old serpentine pulleys came off no problem with 18v impact. I figured I would go ahead and get a new v-belt pulley to go on the 3g. Will this Powermaster 111 work?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-111/

I measured the shaft diameter of the 3g and it is right at .671", same as the pulley bore diameter. The difference is this pulley has a slightly smaller O.D. (smaller by only approx. 0.350") meaning the alt will spin faster right? Charging more at idle?? I don't necessarily need this, but will it hurt anything?

I have seen all the posts about going to a 2 groove pulley, but I would rather not get into changing other pulleys to complete the setup.

I have read the 3g wiring info extensively so hopefully I have that figured when I go to install this weekend. Pretty straight forward; looping the yellow from alt plug back to charge post on alt, going to tap into red/green just before it enters the old voltage regulator, wht/blk stator loops back to alt, and charge cable to plus side of solenoid (thru 175 amp mega fuse). Any reason charge cable can't go directly to battery? I think the Painless Performance kit instructions show going straight to battery. Also going to run the yellow/blk from harness to + side of solenoid.

I will eventually go to rocketman for a custom voltmeter to replace my stock ammeter (truck has no idiot light, just stock ammeter).

Heres to hoping im drinking beer after no more than an hour this weekend.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Thunderkiss65
Junior User
Just wanted to contribute my $.02 to this thread and say I performed this conversion on my 65 F250 (352 FE motor) this weekend and it was as easy as advertised. 130amps charging at a dead steady 14.5 volts no matter the load. $30 from my local Pick n Pull out of a 96 Taurus (Didn't hurt that the alternator was in near new condition)

Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2017, 07:53 PM
grandpas1974
Junior User
Went ahead and ordered the powermaster 111 pulley. The smaller O.D. shouldnt matter since i have plenty of room in the bracket for adjustment to tighten the belt to spec and the alternator rpm will not even get close to what the 3g can handle. This truck is a cruiser and i will probably never push engine rpm above 4000. Cant wait to get this upgrade done and see the difference.

Quick Reply: just did a 3g upgrade