Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

john deere A, 1944

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:44 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
john deere A, 1944

sorry to ask this question here, but Any one know of a website that would help me with this? I have a 1944 john deere A, its in great shape, and runs great. I need a how to site that would help me change some things like the flywheel seal. It is starting to leak oil. Again, sorry to ask this on a ford site,

Old 03-25-2010, 11:27 AM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as I am concerned, John Deere is always welcome. My grandfather restores antique John Deere tractors. I will have to ask him if he knows of any. Doubtful he will know of any websites. I have a great book for that most likely. I will look for it.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
thanks quite helpful. It does in fact run very strong. Flywheel start and usually starts on the first compression stroke. Pulled trucks, scrap loads and loads of hay. Just hauled 4 good size round bales on a 2800 pound trailer t
he other day with out breaking a sweat! Could have hauled more, but I don't need to be hard on it. I love this thing like I love any work truck. Gets the job done. Acts like it has a slight miss every so many times it fires on just one of the cylinders. Oils been changed (takes 10 quarts! Wow! Its a 321 ci!), replaced the ail filter oil (engine oil), cleaned the gas float bowl, and adjusted the carburator, just things like that. The flywheel seal leaks, and flings oil, and the clutch seal does a small amount. Its getting worse. Runs great, but there are some things I would like to fix. If possible, I will be taking it to the tractor pulls down the street. Thanks for all and any help!
Trent

Old 03-29-2010, 08:07 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Those antique John Deeres have always been a passion of mine. I love going to shows and spending time with my pappy working on his. I wish I had any amount of land and a barn to have one to work on myself. I haven't had a chance to get ahold of him, but he is coming up for a visit this next weekend, so I will be sure to chat with him about it. Where is it you live?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
By the way, have you spent much time on yesterdaystractors.com? They have a forum on there too I believe that could be pretty helpful. I saw something on there about a john deere 60 having a flywheel oil leak. They refer to the use of a rubber seal instead of a cork seal, and something about a vent tube in the valve cover being plugged and causing blow-by. I'm not familiar with the different seals because I tend to deal with the letters series and the early numbers series, but it could be worth looking into.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:05 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
wow, thanks. That is a lot of help

Old 03-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Like he said Yesterdays tractor has plenty of info. I have an I&T manual for my B and 630, parts are plentiful by after market companies who reproduce manifolds etc.

One obvious place to receive information......your JD dealer I can mooch any information from them, the parts guy will copy off a page from the repair manual if I don't have it. My dealer has been around for a long time, I always joked that if I bought a Waterloo Boy I could probably still order parts for it....he just shakes his head.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:53 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
I'm glad you still have a JD dealer around that has helpful, and maybe even somewhat friendls staff. The dealer near me has a few guys that only know how to read, and they are about as rude as they come. Not worth my time really. Glad to see another Ford guy into old JD's

Old 03-30-2010, 05:54 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
friendly*, that is

Old 03-31-2010, 12:39 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
yes, there is in fact a john deere dealer nearby. They are very helpful with parts. Still can get quite a few things if needed. Pretty neat if you ask me. Yes, I know ford guys into john deere. Quite a few. Well, I think the saying is true, "if John Deere made a truck, it would be a perfect world!" That was a bumper sticker my dad saw the other night. Just posted on yesturdays tractor. See what happens thanks I will keep you guys posted.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:32 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
would love to see some pics... i grew up around Z model miniapolis moline's, and me and my dad have an la deere in storage (along with everything to fully restore it) sitting in storage that has been in the family since the 60's.

gotta love em,

Old 04-24-2010, 10:23 AM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
I was just looking through my pictures and I can't find any of the tractors my pappy and I restored. Plenty of tractors from a tractor show here in Durham, CT though.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:24 AM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Hey blueeyed, any luck on there yet?

Old 04-24-2010, 11:29 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
once I get a digital camera I can load up some pictures. Im told flywheel seal is not hard to do. I will do it after I come back from college. Other wise she is running strong.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:39 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
hey, how do I post pictures on here??

Quick Reply: john deere A, 1944