TPS - Throttle Position Sensor FYI

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation TPS - Throttle Position Sensor FYI

Just a heads-up.

Ford catalog does not list the TPS for a 1999 7.3 Super Duty as a separate replaceable part which leads to replacing the whole throttle pedal assembly. I found this to be incorrect. If you have a throttle pedal assembly with separate TPS (separate 3 wire connector) and IVS (Idle Validation Switch 2 wire connector) just the TPS can be replaced.

This is a pic of my 99 with new TPS installed.

Close-upofTPSIVS.jpg?t=1269362091

Without removing the whole assembly you only need to remove the 2 T25 screws and the connector to replace.

Since this part is listed for more then 20 Ford trucks I figured it would work in my 99 7.3. I bought a brand new TPS from Pete (F250_) that he could not use. He has a 2002 with one 5 wire connector. It works perfectly in my 99. Not sure if it will work in a 2000 or 2001 but if the TPS and IVS each have their own connector it should. Make a visual inspection to be sure.

Part DY-967 or F4SZ-9B989-AA - Potentiometer

I was going to go with a Dorman TPS but like PartsGuyED likes to say "OEM Baby". The OEM TPS through Ed is actually cheaper then the Dorman.

Side-by-side pic of the old and new TPS. Only the center rotating part is different but it fits and works just fine. It also has a better fit so there is less slop and almost immediate response.

NewOldTPS.jpg?t=1269362105

By the way, the original TPS was working fine so I have no idea what the symptoms of a bad TPS are. Since it was available I replaced it to have a spare and to see if this one would work. Both Pete and I thought it would and we were right.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:54 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Thanks for posting that, Robin.

I need to say, too, that the part you got from me was spec'd by Ford as a sensor replacement on a 2002 model year F250, even though my 2002 F250 actually has the integral unit where the senser cannot be changed by itself. That's what ultimately lead us to this situation where I had one available for someone to try.

On a sidenote, Robin was generous enough to offer me what I had in the unit when I purchased it two years ago and never could use it.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:02 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
By the way, the original TPS was working fine so I have no idea what the symptoms of a bad TPS are. Since it was available I replaced it to have a spare and to see if this one would work. Both Pete and I thought it would and we were right.
The symptom on my 01 was engine was idling at a stop light, light turns green, hit the throttle and nothing happened for a few seconds, the engine was still idling. Then after 5 seconds or so it would kick in and the truck would move. It happened to me a few times and I replaced the whole pedal assembly, which is a completely different assy. because it comes with a different mounting bracket to install.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:17 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F250_
On a sidenote, Robin was generous enough to offer me what I had in the unit when I purchased it two years ago and never could use it.
Thanks for the kind words Pete but I don't know how generous I was considering what I paid was less then the going price today.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:16 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Pete but I don't know how generous I was considering what I paid was less then the going price today.
May have been less than the going price today, but it was more than I had in my pocket!!

Old 03-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Just a heads-up.

Ford catalog does not list the TPS for a 1999 7.3 Super Duty as a separate replaceable part which leads to having to replace the whole accelerator pedal assembly. I found this to be incorrect. If you have an acelerator pedal assembly with separate TPS (separate 3 wire connector) and IVS (Idle Validation Switch, 2 wire connector) just the TPS can be replaced.

This is a pic of my 99 with new TPS installed.

Without removing the whole assembly you only need to remove the 2 T25 screws and the connector to replace.

Since this part is listed for more then 20 Ford trucks I figured it would work in my 99 7.3. I bought a brand new TPS from Pete (F250_) that he could not use. He has a 2002 with one 5 wire connector. It works perfectly in my 99. Not sure if it will work in a 2000 or 2001 but if the TPS and IVS each have their own connector it should. Make a visual inspection to be sure.

Part DY-967 or F4SZ-9B989-AA - Potentiometer

I was going to go with a Dorman TPS but like PartsGuyED likes to say "OEM Baby". The OEM TPS through Ed is actually cheaper then the Dorman.

Side-by-side pic of the old and new TPS. Only the center rotating part is different but it fits and works just fine.

UNBELIEVABLE!

another bend me over Ford situation.....

well any one that wants to order one make sure it will work on your truck first....

I'll save this thread.....

Old 04-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just tried one of those new sensors and it is not working on my E99 model.
Right after plugging in the SES light gets lit and engine doesn't respond to the pedal at all.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Remember that the ECM won't respond to the potentiometer at all if the Idle Validation Switch doesn't change states.

The problem detailed in Post #3 above sounds like a "sticking" IVS that may be "gummed up". There's a lot of dust and grime down near the floor to mess with electrical parts.

Spray "TV tuner cleaner" is your friend.

Pop

Old 04-26-2010, 12:41 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
I just tried one of those new sensors and it is not working on my E99 model.
Right after plugging in the SES light gets lit and engine doesn't respond to the pedal at all.
Mine has been working flawlessly for a month.

Make sure the connector is fully seated and that the IVS is not stuck open or its connector is not loose. The IVS is a normally open contact and if the contacts don't close or the PCM does not see them close when you press on the throttle the PCM will not respond to the TPS signals.

Edit: Your just too quick Pop.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:29 AM
64F260
Senior User
I have replaced the tps on my early 99 several times. Not sure why I was having this problem. FWIW, it is also the same on my 2000. I think the cheap aftermarket brands are not as good as the Ford brand. I carry a spare tps and torx tool to swap it along with a spare cps in my truck.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:15 AM
460461whatever
New User
All good information. I have an "iffy" TPS in my '00 F350 right now. It has been much of an issue this summer, but I will change it before winter. I'm getting too old to be crawling around on floor boards, but I'm not rich enough to have someone do it for me.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:37 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
What are the signs of a TPS going bad on one of these trucks? Jerky throttle? Where is the TPS located?

Old 08-24-2010, 07:03 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
What are the signs of a TPS going bad on one of these trucks? Jerky throttle? Where is the TPS located?
The TPS is attached to the accelerator pedal up towards the top of it. A jerky throttle is one possible symptom as well as no throttle at all, dead spot in the throttle too.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:46 AM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
yep...like jim said.

mine would completely loose throttle (engine would idle fine) and the SES light would come one. should also store a code when that happens.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:11 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The throttle has been jerky all summer. I thought it could have been fuel related, changed the filter, still jerky, changed fuel stations, still jerky. It's especially noticeable when in a higher gear at low RPMs and letting off the skinny pedal.

Quick Reply: TPS - Throttle Position Sensor FYI