Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Senior User

gpfarrell is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wipers & Lights

So it's rainy season... at least the snow has melted!

Anyhow, the lighting control module in my 2003 Mercury Marauder knows to turn on my headlights whenever my windshield wipers are on... but my 2007 Navigator doesn't seem to do this.

I've always liked the extra visability other drivers get when my lights are lit during gray days... is there a way to do this on the Navigator? Besides, Pennyslvania has a "Wipers on, lights on" law now and I'm spoiled by the Mercury doing it automatically for me!

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Senior User

n2umr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.n2umr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 2007 Expedition has its lights on all the time so they would be on when the wipers are on. Your Lincoln should have the same thing, what more do you want.

Mark
Old 03-24-2010, 02:30 AM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
I know a ghetto way to make this happen...but it would be a shame to do that to your new purty ride. just think about what a relay can do

have you thought about installing the DRL module? it's $45 from Ford and gives you Daytime Running lights. Love mine
Old 03-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Senior User

hookd is starting off with a positive reputation.
you got any details on installing that module (where and if an 07 xlt would be prewired for it)
Old 03-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Posting Guru

TennesseeMustangPerf has a good reputation on FTE.TennesseeMustangPerf has a good reputation on FTE.
I suppose you could wire it to the wiper switch.

"Seat heaters are God's way of saying 'No matter how bad your day may be, it could always be worse. You could have all this happen to you and your bum not be pleasantly toasted.'"
Old 03-24-2010, 12:46 PM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookd View Post
you got any details on installing that module (where and if an 07 xlt would be prewired for it)
none of them are pre-wired for it

it's a relay and simple wiring package that Ford sells as OEM equipment. The relay goes into the main junction box under the hood and you hook up a few wires

when in Park or Neutral the lights are off, but when in R or D the lowbeams come on at a lower wattage. It's cheesy, but I like it.

Your local Dealership should sell it in the Parts Department
Old 03-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Senior User

Tylus,

I, appreciate the work-around idea... but I guess the real answer is I should quit looking for something that's not there!

I'll ponder the DRL's. I haven't been a fan of them, but our BMW has them and they're starting to grow on me.

I really like how the Marauder's lights come on with the wipers. We had a Jeep SRT8 that could do that too... I was hoping the Lincoln offered the same feature. I hate people who drive in the rain without headlights and I don't want to be one of them.

Anyhow... pondering the relay/module answer.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 03-24-2010, 05:31 PM
MMNC (SS)

You could do it in a non-ghetto way. But you'd have to find a timer and use a relay

have the relay set to trigger on once the wiper motor gets powered. Have the relay set to trigger a timer switch. Have the timer set for say 10 minutes. That way the timer would keep the headlights on more consistently...rather than cycling (blinking) with each stroke that the wiper motor is actuated

is your Marauder feature hardwired? Or software? If hardwired, I bet you could adapt it to the Expy
Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Senior User

The Marauder's feature is stock. I'm guessing its part of the lighting control module, which is probably a combination of hard wires, soft wires, and voodoo!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Senior User

n2umr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.n2umr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Your lights are on all the time, why do you need them to come on when it rains if they are already on, I don't understand your problem. If its dark enough when it rains they will also come on.

Please clarify your problem.

Mark
Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Senior User

Evidently, you are the only one who seems to think my lights are on all the time. If my lights were on all the time I would not have asked the question.

My lights are not on all the time.

I've checked.

They also don't come on by themselves when it rains.

I've checked that too.

They will come on by themselves if it's dark enough when it rains, but it's not always dark enough when it rains to count on that.

Thank you for your concern.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Freshman User

scottmeiners is starting off with a positive reputation.
scottmeiners
When I saw that day time running lights were an option I as a bit surprised, I would think it would be standard. I did come to like the day time running lights on my old trailblazer. Never had to worry about someone not seeing me.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Senior User

williamsplumbing is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lights and wipers

It appears that your problem is not being understood. I have an 08 Expy Limited EL with out DRL. My headlights are automatic such as yours and do come on when the wipers are actuated. Here in Ca. we have such a law. I would supose that a trip to a knowledgeable dealership would help, but I really think there are people in this forum that could assist you.
You might even research some of the earlier threads, problems such as this are not really new.
I would also like to know the answer as I would do the same to my 05 SCrew
Old 03-26-2010, 01:17 AM
MMNC (SS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsplumbing View Post
I have an 08 Expy Limited EL with out DRL. My headlights are automatic such as yours and do come on when the wipers are actuated.
please explain how they do that?

because you are the only person I have ever heard of with a 07+ Expy who has this feature.
are you positive that the headlights aren't just turning on because the rain conditions are making it dark enough outside to activate the light sensor
there are only 2 instances when the Headlights will come on without driver input.

1. DRL module installed (only activates the heads though, not the running lights)
2. Light switch is placed in "Auto" and the light sensor on the dash senses that the outside light conditions are dark enough to actuate the headlights/running lights.

many states have a law that requires headlights on when raining. but that is a driver requirement, not a vehicle requirement. even in the great dictatorship of Kalifornia.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Senior User

hookd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tylus, thanks for the info on adding DRL I'm going to do that just to save a few bucks on insurance every month.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:03 AM