Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Turbo alignment and plugged breather

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:32 AM
BUT
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo alignment and plugged breather

New to me 94 turbo 7.3 idi, looks like someone added the ford turbo. The exhaust doesn't line up coming into the turbo. It has a straight exhaust and looks like the turbo needs to come around a few degrees to be able to line up right. Can I disconnect the down pipe clamp connecting to the straight pipe then loosen the bolt that is through the center of the bottom piece of the turbo then just turn the whole thing? Then line up the down pipe?

It also started missing and leaking a lot of oil. When I removed the breather there was a foam block like a filter plugging the air inlet just in front of the turbo. Would this cause an oil leak sucking from the supply line? It also looks like the not original braided supply line may be damaged.

Appologize for the long thread but except for the loud exhaust this was running good then whoosh something happened and it started sputtering on accelleration, smoking and spewing oil out the back of the engine.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shouldn't be any foam in there that I am aware of unless you are a running a fram filter. They have a layer of foam attached to the paper, but it's on the opposite/intake side of the filter and would never get near the turbo unless of a catastrophic failure.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
BUT
Welcome to FTE and the IDI diesel forum.

Between the turbo pedistal, the up pipe and the turbo to intake manifold snail, the turbo is only going to fit in one place.

You would probably have much better luck making adjustments to the exhaust to get the down pipe lined up.

As for the foam filter, sounds like something is not where it is supposed to be.
If the air filter was to dirty and/or had to much oil on it, the turbo can suck the filter right out of the air cleaner housing.

I am assuming you have the square filter housing when I say that though.

Any chance to see a picture?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:58 AM
BUT
Freshman User
example of bad mechanic

I have figured out that my truck has suffered through a bad mechanic and is still surviving.
The air filter was put on with the foam block on the wrong side of the filter. I bought a new WIX filter which comes with the foam block and pictures of which side goes where. All I can figure is that they did it backwards. Probably the same guy put on a braided oil supply line that pointed straight into the back of the turbo where the heat shield is. It wore through the braiding and was spraying oil on the exhaust and under the turbo making a huge mess. I'm lucky I didn't burn the thing up since the turbo was plugged up the EGTs were high and they also didn't line up the exhaust going from the Y into the turbo so there is a 1/2" gap where they are offset.
Now the turbo is spinning up ok considering the exhaust leak. EGTs are staying low or as expected for the position of the pyro. And no oil leak or blue smoke.
My thinking is to loosen all the nuts clamping down the Y and crossover pipe and try to get the male side of the lower up pipe to fit into the female side of the upper up pipe.
Does this sound like the way to go or is there a way to pivot the turbo for alignment?

Old 03-28-2010, 08:04 AM
gumboluvr
Senior User
There is no rotational adjustment to the turbo. Exhaust must be made to mate with turbo.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:11 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like You need a custom Down Pipe.

Oilburners.net

Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 AM
BUT
Freshman User
Final note. Somebody had just put this thing together wrong. I loosened everything up fit the pipes into the proper holes, tightened all the exhaust clamps in a rotation so nothing bound up and it's all together no leaks. After listening to people ,in shops tell me that I needed to order manifolds and up pipes and cut exhaust ... It seems to be good.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just goes to show that some people shouldn't be allowed to drive a vehicle, let alone work on one. Glad you had another easy fix.