1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 07:46 PM
wdonohoe1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drive shaft

any body have a trick to pull a 60 1/2 ton drive shaft??

Old 01-24-2003, 08:12 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
drive shaft

Not sure what you are asking but is it a 2 piece? Are you tring to remove it from the truck? If you remove the 2 u bolts at the end of the drive shaft use a screw driver to push the drive shaft foward out of the yoak then just pull it out. If it is a 2 piece you will need to mark it so you can put it back on in the same place. They need to stay in faze.

Old 01-24-2003, 08:15 PM
wdonohoe1
New User
drive shaft

it's a 1 piece. i have pulled 2 u bolts and removed it from the rear end but i can't get it out of the trans. it's frozen in

Thanks Bill

Old 01-24-2003, 08:32 PM
57_ford
Elder User
drive shaft

What kind of trans do you have? If it is the kind that uses the rear of the trans as a slip yoak it should pull rite out. Or does it have 4 bolts up at the trans an an external slip yoak. If so remove the 4 bolts then drive shaft. The flange under the 4 bolts will have a larger bolt holding it on.

Old 01-24-2003, 10:22 PM
wdonohoe1
New User
drive shaft

it's a slip yoke. i know on my 56 chevy truck drive shaft i hade trouble pulling it off to but not this much. who knows if this shaft has ever been off. i wonder if it's all rusted inside. i put a rope on the drive shaft and pull hard enough that i rolled the truck. i'm thinking of using heat but i don't know if i will melt any thing or not. i don't know whats in the trans

Bill

Old 01-25-2003, 03:11 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
drive shaft

You can try this method to get it off. I used it once to break a pressed-on bearing loose on a big dump truck.

1. Get a piece of heavy-gage pipe with an ID just bigger than the spline shaft. Aluminum will actually work best but you can try steel. If you have machine tools you can bore out a round to create a pipe.
2. Cut a length of pipe that BARELY fits between the end of the yoke and the back of the tranny (or shoulder on the spline shaft). Grind it or turn it to make the ends very nice and square.
3. Split the pipe lengthwise.
4. Clamp the two half pipes around the spline shaft with a couple of breeze clamps. If you cut the pipe a little short you can split a washer or put some shim material between the pipe ends and the yoke. You want a tight fit.
5. Heat the pipe with a torch.

If you get it set up correctly you'll break the yoke free without heating up the tranny, spline shaft, or yoke very much at all. It's a bit of work but you won't break anything by trying it.

Old 01-25-2003, 09:11 PM
57_ford
Elder User
drive shaft

I made some thing like that also it worked for me. Does the slip yoak move in and out at all? Are you just changing the u joints? If so just change the u joint on the truck and leave the yoak in.

Old 01-25-2003, 11:32 PM
wdonohoe1
New User
drive shaft

i got the yoak to move in about a 1/4 inch. just enough to get the shaft out of the rear end. i thought about leaving the yoak in but it needs to move when you hit bumps or have a load on.

Bill

Old 01-26-2003, 08:32 AM
57_ford
Elder User
drive shaft

You are rite it does need to move. Some ideas you could knock out the u joint and get the drive shaft out of the way. Make some sort of puller to pull the yoak out. Or rig a slide hammer so you can work it in and out you do not want to force it.Or you could try drilling and taping a pipe thread(1/8 I think) into the back of the center of the yoak and thread a greese gun hose into it and pump the greese gun. When you are finshed clean the greese out and install a plug into it.

Old 01-26-2003, 10:34 AM
BELLM
Senior User
drive shaft

Don't know what kind of transmission you have, mileage etc but my guess would be that the yoke is worn where it runs in the tailshaft housing bushing, probably has built up crud on the portion of the yoke that is in the transmission past the bushing, maybe on the spline on the tailshaft, inside the yoke.. I would not apply heat. I vote to disassemble the u joint from the yoke, use a slide hammer or maybe you could try not disassembly and attach a piece of chain,with about a foot of slack in loop, would have to be small, thru the driveshat/yoke/ u joint them take a piece of pipe, steel bar, etc thru chain and jerk on the pipe/bar etc like a slide hammer, make sure the driveshaft can move toward rear while doing this. This works good for pulling rear axles also. In any event I would at least install a new tailshaft housing seal, probably even the bushing and yoke, if they show lots of wear.

Old 02-02-2003, 12:40 AM
wdonohoe1
New User
drive shaft

this truck was picked up with a fork lift and bent the drive shaft. i guess that's one problem with abandoned trucks. i pulled the u joint today and left the yoak in the trans. the yoak is bent to. at least i can try to find a new shaft now that i can take a tape to it. i was planing on ghanging trans anyway. as it hangs up in high gear. i think that's why it was abandond.

Thanks Bill