Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Elder User

bunklash is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
AC control switch wiring

Many searches did no good. I'd like to install a switch allowing me to choose when the AC compressor comes on. I don't mind the compressor being automatic on for defrost, but rather not use the compressor for every setting except the one Ford allowed. Is there anybody out there with a wiring diagram who could tell me which wires I'm hunting? Thanks in advance.
Happiness doesn't come from getting what you want, it comes from appreciating what you have!
Old 03-21-2010, 07:05 AM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
If you want to kill the compressor clutch, the wires are easily found out at the accumulator tank switch under the hood.

The A/C only works on "normal", "max" and "defrost" as far as I know.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 03-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud of
Actually, the compressor is enabled in every position except OFF, VENT, and FLOOR.

If you want to manually control when the compressor clutch is enabled on an 02 F350, install a SPST switch on the violet wire on the mode switch (if manual) or the EATC (if equipped).

Turn switch off to disable the compressor, turn it on to allow default operation.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Elder User

Right on guys. That was fast and right on target. I'd be happy if it did work the way Dave said, but it's more like projectSHO says. The owners manual says it works like that too, but my compressor is engaged in Floor position too! Don't know why of course, but always have prefered bieng able to manually select. Violet wire, here I come!
Thanks so much!

Happiness doesn't come from getting what you want, it comes from appreciating what you have!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Post Fiend

subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
Looking at the wiring diagram for the '02 F350 the compressor should not come on in the OFF or floor position only. It does run in the vent position.

Sounds like you may have a computer problem if it runs in the floor position, if so putting a switch on that wire will not turn off the compressor.

The clutch is turned on and off by the computer.
77 F250 351M-2V NP 435/4 Speed 4X4
subford@gmail.com
Bill K, Kansas Chapter
Old 03-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
Looking at the wiring diagram for the '02 F350 the compressor should not come on in the OFF or floor position only. It does run in the vent position.
I suspect that is an error in the EVTM (Cell 54-2) since it would make no sense to have both a "A/C" and a "VENT" position that are identical. The WSM describes the operation that is logical and is the same as every other Ford I've ever seen.

If the compressor is engaged in the FLOOR position, you'd better check it in the OFF and VENT positions, also. It might be a simple as a missing shim causing the clutch plate to not disengage. If the clutch is mechanically jammed, then you cannot control it electrically.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 03-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Post Fiend

subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
If he has it in auto from the 02 shop manual then:
When PNL/FLR is selected:

The recirculation door vacuum control is at no vacuum, admitting only outside air into the passenger compartment.

The panel/floor door vacuum control motor is at partial vacuum and the panel/defrost door vacuum control motor is at full vacuum, directing airflow to the floor duct and the instrument panel A/C registers.

The heater control valve is at no vacuum allowing the flow of hot coolant to the heater core.

The temperature can be adjusted to heat or cool the air below the outside temperature.

The A/C compressor will operate if the outside temperature is above approximately 6ºC (43ºF).

The blower motor is on.

The center console blower motor is enabled.
subford@gmail.com
Bill K, Kansas Chapter
Old 03-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Post Fiend

"PNL/FLR" is a discrete mode that is separate from both the "PANEL" and "FLOOR" modes. It is supposed to enable the compressor since it is not "PANEL" (vent-only), "FLOOR" (only), or OFF (self explanatory).

See the COMPLETE section of the WSM that you took that excerpt from in which each mode is fully described.

Sounds like he has the manual system anyway since the EATC already has an AC request button...
Old 03-21-2010, 06:44 PM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Yea, what they said.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 03-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Elder User

I was mistaken. My compressor is on in every position except OFF and VENT. The owners manual, IIRC, says it should also be off in the PNL/FLR position, but I'm certain mine is engaged in PNL/FLR. Any way, like I said, violet wire, here I come.
Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Post Fiend

I would not go by the owners manual. I always go by the wiring diagrams or shop manual and that is also what the diagram said as I stated above.
subford@gmail.com
Bill K, Kansas Chapter
Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring

Tags
95, ac, control, diagram, f150, f53, ford, mode, switch, wiring