slidingdelta
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clunk in drivetrain when stoping in neutral or clutch in

2000 Ranger
5sp manual
2.5L
2wd

the problem im having is when slow down to stop at a stop sign or light, as soon as i push the clutch in a clunking noise starts that sounds like its coming from the rear around the driveshaft or differential. the noise continues and slows down as the trucks slows, and it stops as soon as the truck stops. but if i leave it in gear and slow almost all the way down, the noise doesn't occur, and then as soon as clutch goes in the noise starts.

what i did to test this was start at the top of a hill, engage in first or second and coast down the hill. leaving in gear i would repeadedly push the clutch in and out, noise would stop whenever the clutch was let out. the noise also happens in neutral with clutch engaged.

one thing i should mention is when i changed the clutch about 6 months ago i forgot to mark what bolt position the driveshaft was in, so i probably bolted in back in a different spot, but i never had a problem till now.

a different problem im having is a high pitched grinding from the engine when accelerating and letting up the clutch. i think its a pulley, but the belt is still in good shape. so can i leave the bad pulley on untill the belt needs to be replaced? i think it is still the original belt at 106,000 miles, but they seem to last a long time.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if you installed the driveshaft the wrong way believe me you would know it because the whole truck would shake like a paintshaker.

if the clunking happens when you go from reverse to first or first to reverse, or just being on a level surface and letting the clutch out a little quick i would suspect there is play or wear in the differential. my 69 f100 has this problem, its an automatic, but shes still truckin with many miles, so i probly wouldnt lose sleep over the problem.

if it happens at stop signs as the rear sinks down and compresses i would suggest checking the grease on the slip yoke.

and finally i would suggest spending a total of 40 dollars on a new idler pulley, and tensioner pulley, and if you spend just a little more, you can get the whole tensioner assembly with the pulley included. i had a similar problem and when i pulled it off it was missing ball bearings, and the whole thing was damaged from egging around so much. and if your belt is that old you may want to replace it as well as clean your pulleys real good with a wire brush or sandpaper and a solvent, but not on the power steering pulley,
so that the new belt will grip and not squeal. a complete diy tlc service of the belt and pulleys is rewarding. if any of those components fail, you are stuck with no a/c, steering, electricity, water pump, no fan