General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

reps and infractions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:56 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reps and infractions

alright, i have 2 infraction points as of today, and 31 rep points. i know infractions are bad and reps are good but what are they for? i've been a site member since 03 but really haven't used the site much up until about a 2 months ago. and on a side note how do i quote someone else's post in mine? i can't check the box to try and figure it out, it's shaded.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:24 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
anyone out there?

Old 03-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I understand correctly, that little balloon down in the right-hand corner that says "Quote" doesn't work for you?

If nothing else, you could try this:
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - BB Code List

Can't help ya with the infractions/reps thing...

Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Arlene
Just passing through...

Let me see if this helps... Infractions mean you've upset someone with what you've posted (there might be a link next to it to direct you to the post?), so they deduct points.

Rep points mean that someone liked/agreed with something you've posted.

To quote - you should be able to click the little quote button at the bottom of the post to add it to your new post.

Hope that helps~~

Old 03-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Arlene
Just passing through...

Old 03-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Infractions and reps are different systems. Infractions are when you step beyond the guidelines. You get a private message notification when the infraction is handed out stating the specifics of it.
Reps are when your post was helpful or entertaining, and given out by users.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It takes a while to find everything - there are more options here than Clinton had when his big lie was exposed....

Click on "USER CP" and pay close attention to the menu on the left.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:40 AM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
greywolf, you're a stand up guy. thank you for posting

Old 03-20-2010, 05:00 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I've found all of the FTE "officials" to be very professional and extremely lenient. That's good thing as we have a vast stockpile of personalities and opinions.

My only gripe is that a member has the ability to award negative rep points if they disagree with a post. IMO, anything that detracts from positive reps should be handled exclusively by an official.

I've never issued a negative rep for anything and would be very upset at someone for doing that to me.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:43 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I've found all of the FTE "officials" to be very professional and extremely lenient. That's good thing as we have a vast stockpile of personalities and opinions.

My only gripe is that a member has the ability to award negative rep points if they disagree with a post. IMO, anything that detracts from positive reps should be handled exclusively by an official.

I've never issued a negative rep for anything and would be very upset at someone for doing that to me.

I did neg reps twice--and got negs right back. Usually, if something is that bad--language, banned topic, blatently offensive, you can just report the post and stay out of it. Every once in a while, someone comes on just to cause trouble. The moderators take care of that real quick.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:25 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
i'm not on here to cause trouble, i just have a loose sense of what's offensive, and my humor can be pretty lude sometimes without me thinking about it. this is a great site, and it's nice to have a place to find help, and help others, and sometimes it's nice to just have some like minded people to vent to sometimes

Old 03-20-2010, 08:19 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You can vent in the club. The guidelines are for adults there. The forums are "G" rated for the most part.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:19 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I've gotten negative reps from two different people on the forums and both of them came within the last three months or so. I was ticked at first but then got to thinking about it. First of all, both of them were immature and too thin-skinned. They didn't like it when someone figured out they were full of poo and called them on it in open forum. Secondly, reading their posts and realizing I was dealing with a lack of maturity and intelligence made me realize that it really didn't matter.

I've never given negative reps....never. I may not agree with other folks' opinions but I don't negative rep. Chicken poo way for keyboard warriors to look tough and hit you with a cheap shot behind the scenes. Negative reps should be for moderators and admins to hand out.

Never been infracted. Just lucky I guess because I know I've had some borderline moments when I could have received one. Like Tim said though, the mods and admins here do a great job and are pretty dang lenient. If you get infracted, take a look at what caused it and try to avoid the same in the future. If you get negative repped, ignore it and let me know and I'll send you some positive reps to replace what you lost.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Funny stuff reps............I have gotten plenty of reps for jokes or boldly stating my opinion or backing up another member.......Not very noteworthy.

But for handing out tech./mech. advise that actually HELPED someone to save big money..........very little.
There are some incredibly knowledgeable people in the forums that regularly hand out very detailed info that only would have been obtained by a lot of research or trial and error on ones part.........Those oracles of info seldom seem to have more than a couple of green squares..........hand out a little rep where its REALLY deserved!

Old 03-21-2010, 06:00 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I threw some neg reps onto a poster one time. I was in a very foul mood that day and was extremely upset by the attitude and innuendo that I read into the poster's comments. I felt badly about it later and apologized and try to make sure I send some positive reps his way whenever warranted in an effort to make up for it.
Since then, I just back out of a thread if I am getting too worked up over the topic and/or the poster's comments.

Quick Reply: reps and infractions