Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Senior User

Shane in WI is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air Cleaner Vacuum Routing?

I have a 77 F100 2wd with a 73 302 and a rebuilt 73 Motorcraft 2100 carb. The air cleaner is stock off a 75 302. I have spent alot of time searching here and looking thru my books. I think I have the vacuum lines routed correctly with one question. The snorkel has a vacuum motor that opens and closes an air flap door and when I hook vacuum to it it closes.
I have read where the hose should go to a switch on the air cleaner and then to a delay valve before connecting to the air cleaner. The delay valves listed in LMC are different colors and prices. My air cleaner has a metal sensor in the bottom where a hose hooks into and out of. This seems to stop the vacuum, so I'm assuming it's not working. There is a plastic 2 connector switch on the side of the aircleaner that is broken. I am not running smog at all, just trying to make the necessary connections for it to look and perform correctly.
There is also a hole behind the snorkel which I believe to be for the connection from the charcoal canister with an aluminum tube. I have not been able to find that connector or see exactly what it should look like.
My question is what do I need to make the snorkel work corretcly? There is no heat shield or risor tube as my truck has headers. Would a tube alone bring enough heat up from the headers to help open the valve in the snorkle?
I found some of the parts numbers from old posts, (thanks to NumberDummy) but wondering what is necessary.
Lots of questions, I know. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Senior User

rjent is starting off with a positive reputation.
Put one of these on it!

Click the image to open in full size.

They flow better, look better, and you obviously aren't trying to keep it stock.!

JMHO!
1986 BII Eddie Bauer Green
Old 03-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Senior User

Shane in WI is starting off with a positive reputation.
Even though my post sounds like an old Jonny Cash song, I am trying to keep the truck stock. At least what I can without major unnecessary costs. I bought the truck with one of those open air cleaners and the first thing I did was get rid of it. I prefer original.
If I connect the vacuum hose directly to the snorkel valve, will the door still open as the engine heats up? Even without the shield and tube?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Postmaster

Jermafenser has a good reputation on FTE.Jermafenser has a good reputation on FTE.Jermafenser has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjent View Post
Put one of these on it!

They flow better, look better, and you obviously aren't trying to keep it stock.!

JMHO!
Wrong.

They have more value in scrap price than on an engine.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Postmaster

Jermafenser has a good reputation on FTE.Jermafenser has a good reputation on FTE.Jermafenser has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane in WI View Post
Even though my post sounds like an old Jonny Cash song, I am trying to keep the truck stock. At least what I can without major unnecessary costs. I bought the truck with one of those open air cleaners and the first thing I did was get rid of it. I prefer original.
If I connect the vacuum hose directly to the snorkel valve, will the door still open as the engine heats up? Even without the shield and tube?
No, without the sensor, the vacuum will keep the flap closed.

The sensor is a bi-metallic strip that open as the engine heats up, cutting off vacuum going to the snorkel so the air can be sourced from outside where it's cooler than the stove under the hood.

Dunno if you can find replacement parts...look around.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Postmaster

berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If his stove pipe is gone, there is no need for this system as it will just pull air from right under the air cleaner arm-not warmed air around the exhaust manifold. If your gonna leave the headers, then I wouldn't worry about these parts.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:33 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1973, 2100, 29, air, cleaner, f100, ford, hose, lines, motorcraft, routing, snorkel, truck, v6, vaccum, vacuum