Changing Front Brake Lines...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:04 AM
DeathSpiral
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Front Brake Lines...

2000 4x4 Diesel Excursion

I need to change my front calipers and brakes lines this weekend since my front left calipers have locked up.

I have a question on the front brake lines. It seems Each Side has 2 lines for the brakes lines. What is the second line for? ABS? Any special instructions on installing and bleeding this second line?

Yes. Have 3 rubber lines. I remove the Vacuum hose when I replaced the Auto hubs with Warn Hubs. If you look at the Napa Link, you'll see the replace brake lines has 2 rubber lines. One is the standard brake line, but clueless on the other one.

Here is the info/link to what i'm getting:

Brake Line UP381187

Unfortunately, the link doesn't work correctly. You'll need to enter your zip code and search for UP381187.

Brake Hose - Right Front
Product Line: NAPA ULTRA PREMIUM BRAKE PARTS
Part Number: UP 381187
Price: $26.49

Thanks. Later...

- Wayne

Old 03-19-2010, 09:44 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
There is only one brake hose to the caliper on each side, then there is a wire to the ABS sensor. Now if you have a 4x4 you will also have a vacuum line to the hub.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:45 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you elaborate on why you are thinking you have to change brake lines just as a result of a frozen caliper? I've NEVER changed brake lines for anything other than an upgrade to stainless steel lines to allow for a firmer pedal by taking the expansion of the rubber lines when under pressure out of the mix of possibilities. You should just be able to swap out (or 'rebuild' your calipers), bleed out the old fluid, and be good to go. Just remember to replace your calipers in pairs - uneven braking is all bad.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:06 AM
DeathSpiral
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cbradford
There is only one brake hose to the caliper on each side, then there is a wire to the ABS sensor. Now if you have a 4x4 you will also have a vacuum line to the hub.
There are actually 3 lines rubber lines. I removed the vacuum line as I replace it with the Warn Hubs.

There are still 2 rubber lines left. If you look at the NAPA link it's 2 lines for the brake lines for a 4x4. The 4x2 only has 1 line. So that is why I'm confused.

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:17 AM
DeathSpiral
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 5030tinkerer
Can you elaborate on why you are thinking you have to change brake lines just as a result of a frozen caliper? I've NEVER changed brake lines for anything other than an upgrade to stainless steel lines to allow for a firmer pedal by taking the expansion of the rubber lines when under pressure out of the mix of possibilities. You should just be able to swap out (or 'rebuild' your calipers), bleed out the old fluid, and be good to go. Just remember to replace your calipers in pairs - uneven braking is all bad.
Yes. Going to replace both calipers at the same time. I was debating on switching to Stainless Steel, but saw several people debating about pros/cons of switching to stainless steel as rubber lines has a little give to expand if there is a lot of pressure. Figure if the rubber lines have worked for 10 years and 120K miles, it would be good for another 10 years with new ones.

As far as replacing the rubber brake lines with another set of rubber brakes lines, it's a 2000 and I figured while I'm in there, I would just go ahead and replace it. It's 10 years old and things are starting to fail/break, so figure I'll be proactive about it especially since I tow a trailer and jeep on it.

Thanks.

- Wayne

Old 03-19-2010, 10:23 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Not sure what kind of a set up you have but I know my Excursion only has one brake hose to the caliper.

Maybe more information on your Excursion would be helpful.

The NAPA link only takes me to a store locator.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:28 AM
DeathSpiral
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cbradford
Not sure what kind of a set up you have but I know my Excursion only has one brake hose to the caliper.

Maybe more information on your Excursion would be helpful.

The NAPA link only takes me to a store locator.
Yup. Sorry. I have a 2000 4x4 Diesel Excursion.

Sorry about the link. Here it is again:

Brake Line UP 381187

Unfotunately, you have to enter your zipcode and then search for UP381187. The link works for me b/c it must have put cookies in my browser. You'll see in the pic, there are two (2) rubber hoses. One is the standard Brake hose, the other is ???

I looked at the Excursion yesterday and forgot where the other other hose connects too. As mentioned in the other posts, I removed the Vacuum line for the 4x4 as I replaced them with Warn Hubs.

Thanks.

- Wayne

Old 03-19-2010, 03:56 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
So Wayne,

You understand now that even though you changed the hubs, originally there were three "lines" going to the caliper vicinity, the brake line (hose), vaccuum line (hose), and ABS sensor (wires). As expensive as ABS parts are NAPA is not including that, so they are including the vaccuum line which you don't need anymore.

I don't know why they include it with a brake line. And the link does work, just choose to shop on-line.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:13 PM
DeathSpiral
Freshman User
Originally Posted by X-Hibition
So Wayne,

You understand now that even though you changed the hubs, originally there were three "lines" going to the caliper vicinity, the brake line (hose), vaccuum line (hose), and ABS sensor (wires). As expensive as ABS parts are NAPA is not including that, so they are including the vaccuum line which you don't need anymore.

I don't know why they include it with a brake line. And the link does work, just choose to shop on-line.
Yup. Picked up the calipers and brake lines this morning and changed them out. I finally figured it out just like what you just said. The picture had me confused. When I took a quick look at the caliper the other day, I miss took the ABS link for another rubber line.

Definitely didn't need the vacuum hose and just needed to get the 4x2 kit for for the front, so I just wasted $20 for nothing. Know better next time.

Thanks for all the responses.

Later...

- Wayne

Old 03-23-2010, 12:44 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathSpiral
Definitely didn't need the vacuum hose
If you still have those vacuum hoses, I could possibly use them. I'll be working on my ESOF this weekend or next.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 PM
DeathSpiral
Freshman User
Sorry. I'm going to keep them around if I every decide to fix the original autolock hubs and use them.

Another option is to upgrade to the braided lines:

Braided 4WD Electronic Shift on-the-fly Replacement Lines | SuperMotors.net

Later...

- Wayne