Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Exhaust manifolds and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Exhaust manifolds and exhaust

I found new exhaust manifolds for the IDI on Summit Racing Equipment's website and they're around $108 each. I really thought they'd be more and was a bit surprised. Has anyone bought exhaust manifolds from them? Are they quality?

Is there a company who makes an exhaust system for 6.9L IDI's? I've been searching and can't find one for the life of me. I found something for an aftermarket turbo exhaust, but that's it. I hate my dilapidated dual exhaust system on my truck and want to replace the entire system with a large single pipe. I require a muffler to pass emissions inspection.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:00 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm curious why are you wanting to change your exhaust manifolds.
The drivers side one in that link looks just like the stock one.
No one that I know of makes a bolt on kit that I know of, however several guys have used the one for the power strokes and had a Y built to match it.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:43 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
The truck is 24 years old. From the looks of it, it has been worked. It's my daily driver. I don't want to have this happen: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ng-broken.html
when I take them off to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets and install a new exhaust system. Preventative maintenance.

So an exhaust for a PSD will work as long as I order one for the same body package (CCLB, SCLB, etc).

Old 03-17-2010, 06:30 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement

Is there a company who makes an exhaust system for 6.9L IDI's? I've been searching and can't find one for the life of me. I found something for an aftermarket turbo exhaust, but that's it. I hate my dilapidated dual exhaust system on my truck and want to replace the entire system with a large single pipe. I require a muffler to pass emissions inspection.
how much ya wanna spend?
good options:

stans headers part# 269 $546
(note.you cannot run headers w/turbo.)
Headers for Ford, Mustang, Pinto, Bronco, Cougar, Ranger, exhaust parts for home built do it yourself automotive headers.

Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded Muffler #17224 $ i grabbed it for $75 via amazon w/free shipping.
(3.5 inlet/outlet.this is the one i went with.provides a DEEP tone.straight pipe/raw exhaust boys,step back.wait until you hear this one.-i just got it today.)
Dynomax Performance Exhaust | Mufflers | Ultra Flo Welded Mufflers

now take your truck into an exhaust shop who provides mandrel bends and tell them you want this:

(not sure what size it is,or what size will bolt up/fit.im just going to tell them make it up to 3.5" as well if possible.tho if 3" works im sure it would be fine.)

now hook up your high flow, and run 3.5" pipe wherever you want it to exit.

this is my future setup (minus the headers.imho,id rather have a used turbo.)

you could run 4" and go with the 4" inlet/outlet muffler,but it will be for looks only.with the deep sound of these mufflers,it's doubtful you will want a 4" lol.
i'll let ya know how 3.5" sounds with it shortly.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:03 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
hey i get to use my new camera.
(wow lol.i really had to downsize them.)

here she is guys.what ya think?
i don't think she'll be held back any lol.

it's 409 stainless steel too.
(i wear a size 13 boot,if that helps put the size of the muffler in perspective in the second pic lol.)

i hope it's not going to be to loud for me.if so,i'll be selling it to one of you guys lol.

Attached Images   
Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Why can't you run headers with a turbo?

Did you have that setup made at an exhaust shop? Are the top pipes that attach to the exhaust manifolds stock? How long did it take to have that made? Are you running a PSD exhaust from the Y back and installing that muffler?

I'm not looking for a really loud exhaust. Just a better flowing one and one that's not destroyed. I need to pull our horses behind our truck and don't want to blast them out with an obnoxious exhaust. They load very well right now.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mechelement

Did you have that setup made at an exhaust shop? Are the top pipes that attach to the exhaust manifolds stock? How long did it take to have that made? Are you running a PSD exhaust from the Y back and installing that muffler?

I'm not looking for a really loud exhaust. Just a better flowing one and one that's not destroyed. I need to pull our horses behind our truck and don't want to blast them out with an obnoxious exhaust. They load very well right now.

you cant run headers w/ turbo because there is no room for the down pipe.
least thats one of the reasons.i can't remember the others.
it might of been,that even if you could route it somehow,the down pipe would be long and take to long to spool up as a result.-though don't take my word for that one.i don't have a turbo,so the reasons kinda went in one ear and out the other.there's a thread where i asked with the reply's.
probably more peeps will state the reasons why again for you here.

Did you have that setup made at an exhaust shop?

I'm going to yes.
i was going to call around to check prices/set appointment,but i had other things i needed to get too.
this is on the list for tomorrow.

Are the top pipes that attach to the exhaust manifolds stock?
no.
this whole Y gets replaced.
noticed the stock one is smaller,and more like a T?

How long did it take to have that made?
it shouldn't take them to long to build and bolt in.

Are you running a PSD exhaust from the Y back and installing that muffler?
I'm going to be placing my muffler right after this custom Y and then exiting right in front of the rear pass side tire.
so im going to have them just do it as well.this way they can weld in the good hangers etc.will take them all of a couple mins extra.
im just going to show them my truck/this custom Y,and drop off my muffler,and say here ya go.
the muffler is almost half the pipe i'll need anyway.so it's doubtful i could save much by frigging with 3.5" pipe/elbow/and aftermarket bolt on hangers all for a couple extra feet run of pipe after the muffler at this point.

I'm not looking for a really loud exhaust. Just a better flowing one and one that's not destroyed.

nor am i.
based on the sound in vids w/glass packs it doesn't seem to bad on the IDI.
this should not be as loud even,just deeper/bigger sounding.

if im not correct,i will swap out to the dynomax super turbo.
this ones quieter.
it was the one i wanted,however,the inlet/outlet size is only 3" max for the biggest one and i didn't want to downsize to 3" couplings to make it fit.
so im gunna try this one first.if its to much,then im going to switch to the turbo muffler.
based on some clips.i think this one should be just right.if so,there wont be any restriction at all for the IDI.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
well.this isn't the best of examples.but this one shows the basic sound of it.
notice its nothing like straight pipe raw exhaust sound? its toned down,and deeper in general.
you could imagine this car with straight pipes? or even glass packs? this goes to show how cool it should be on the IDI but not be loud/blat like all out glass pack,due to the way its built.

******** width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sts_p7TzbwU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sts_p7TzbwU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>*********>

that's duals too though.so very rough idea really.
man.i wish i could find one on the IDI.

search youtube for some clips.
you'll see how well they tone down large gas race cases over glass packs.this gives a good idea on much more mellow they should be on the IDI.
just a great high quality deep sound is what it should be.
hang tight,im sure i can get in somewhere within the next week and i'll post up a vid w/ audio with it before you order.
no sense two of us (who don't like loud) to make the same mistake lol.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:02 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Sounds like a good plan. I think I have an exhaust leak close to the manifolds and definitely throughout the entire exhaust. I'm going to do my valve cover gaskets, injectors and another return line kit before manifolds and exhaust. I'm interested in your setup and ballpark price. Why'd you decide to exit in front of the rear tire and not behind?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:24 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
i always end up bending tail pipes backing up to brush piles to load (when i can't use the chipper) or to dump the loads at the transfer stations.
so i learned fast,the easy way to never have problems is to exit in front of the rear wheel.
however,when i do install my underbody tool box on this truck,i may have to get creative with its exit placement and still pass yearly state inspections (which means meanwhile,keep it so it will always pass,so as to avoid tickets.)

Old 03-17-2010, 11:21 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. Exhaust manifolds are not what you would call a wear item, and very few ever crack on an idi, especially if they are not taken off. I would trust the ones you have more than some aftermarket ones.

I have never had one crack and only remember seeing someone on here with a cracked or broken one 2 times.
The exhaust y, muffler and pipes I feel should replaced approximately 10 minutes from the original purchase when the pickup was new.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:38 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by starmilt
The exhaust y, muffler and pipes I feel should replaced approximately 10 minutes from the original purchase when the pickup was new.
she's that restrictive stock hey star?
man.i can't wait to see the difference.
I'm going to wait to modify the air intake duct,just so i can get the feel of each thing and see if i notice each.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Now Iv'e heard of three of them, were haveing an epidemic.lol

Old 03-18-2010, 12:18 AM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the point of upgrading the exhaust all the way to the manifolds, when the manifolds are still restricted at 2 1/4"? It seems to me like you're trying to fill a water main with a garden hose.

If I'm not mistaken, it'd be easier and more effective to just run full dual exhaust with 2 1/2" up to the manifolds.

Anyone care to enlighten me why 3.5" bolted to a 2.25" manifold isn't just a waste?

Thanks
-Matt

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifolds and exhaust