Sponsored by:

Please help me locate my VIN

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:57 PM
madfella
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please help me locate my VIN

Hello, I'm new here and need a little help. I just bought a 2000 Excursion Limited V-10 and tried to transfer the title from TX to NM. Long story short, the VIN sticker is missing from the door jamb but the title matches the VIN plate on the dash and NM will not transfer the title or register the vehicle with out secondary proof of the VIN matching the title. I have looked in the obvious places like the frame, engine block and rear wheel well to no avail. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Old 03-17-2010, 07:35 AM
madfella
New User
Bump...anyone?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:16 AM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only reason that the sticker would be missing from the drivers door jam area is due to a repair where the area had to be replaced due to damage. There is no way that that sticker would just fall off on its own. That being said, you are telling us that the state of New Mexico Secretary of State or DMV actually goes out to the vehicle to inspect it and to make sure that the title that you are transferring matches?? That's crazy and they have way too much time on their hands. Here in MI we would just have to walk in with the title and a bill of sale, pay the fees, and off we go.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:25 AM
OutlawNomad
Senior User
Originally Posted by rlh68050
The only reason that the sticker would be missing from the drivers door jam area is due to a repair where the area had to be replaced due to damage. There is no way that that sticker would just fall off on its own. That being said, you are telling us that the state of New Mexico Secretary of State or DMV actually goes out to the vehicle to inspect it and to make sure that the title that you are transferring matches?? That's crazy and they have way too much time on their hands. Here in MI we would just have to walk in with the title and a bill of sale, pay the fees, and off we go.
I agree, I have never heard of this when transferring title.
Maybe during a motor vehicle inspection, but even there they always use the vin plate on the dash.
I cant imagine they actually come out to inspect the vehicle.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 AM
dsquared
Elder User
Originally Posted by OutlawNomad
Maybe during a motor vehicle inspection, but even there they always use the vin plate on the dash.

I've seen it done here in California; but only when the previous owner and registration was from out-of-state. They checked the VIN on the dash, and under the hood for something (my son's Toyota from NJ; still had the NJ plates and registration. I don't recall why DMV was under the hood...)

Usually, walk in with title, bill of sale, and pay registration and transfer fees (and sales tax if bought from private party) and you're good to go!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:35 AM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There should be a stamped vin plate above and behind the passenger's side headlight. Lift the hood and look just behind the headlight, it should be screwed (or rivited?) to a the body there.

took a couple pics:

Attached Images   
Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 AM
OutlawNomad
Senior User
Originally Posted by madfella
Hello, I'm new here and need a little help. I just bought a 2000 Excursion Limited V-10 and tried to transfer the title from TX to NM. Long story short, the VIN sticker is missing from the door jamb but the title matches the VIN plate on the dash and NM will not transfer the title or register the vehicle with out secondary proof of the VIN matching the title. I have looked in the obvious places like the frame, engine block and rear wheel well to no avail. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated
Doesn't Ford put a vin sticker on all of the quarter panels?

Old 03-17-2010, 12:50 PM
madfella
New User
Thanks for your response. I didn't say it fell off. The previous owner said the sticker was removed by her local dealership when the whole Firestone recall took place. I don't care if it was painted over or removed, I don't even care if she's lying or not. I just know the local DMV here in Artesia, NM, said since it's coming from TX to NM they must verify the VIN in two locations.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:53 PM
madfella
New User
Originally Posted by RMBC Freeride
There should be a stamped vin plate above and behind the passenger's side headlight. Lift the hood and look just behind the headlight, it should be screwed (or rivited?) to a the body there.

took a couple pics:

Thank you!!! Mine is screwed on as well. Hopefully this will satisfy the NM DMV Gods.

On a side-note, they've also managed to lose the title of my other car and are asking me to pay for it.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:58 PM
madfella
New User
Originally Posted by OutlawNomad
Coming from AZ, I have never had to do this ridiculous bull crap non-sense. I just moved to NM and already hate this Google-forsaken state. And yes, they have A LOT of time on their hands...

Old 03-17-2010, 02:23 PM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
Thanks for your response. I didn't say it fell off. The previous owner said the sticker was removed by her local dealership when the whole Firestone recall took place. I don't care if it was painted over or removed, I don't even care if she's lying or not. I just know the local DMV here in Artesia, NM, said since it's coming from TX to NM they must verify the VIN in two locations.
That could be true, but they removed the wrong one. There is/was another sticker on the door frame itself that was supposed to be removed, not the sticker on the lower "B" pillar that I think your looking for. This is the Certification label and besides the VIN it also lists the GVWR, axle codes, paint codes, etc... for the vehicle.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:31 PM
madfella
New User
That plate did not satisfy them...they need it stamped on the frame somewhere or on a sticker. Anyone know where the "hidden" VINs are?

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-18-2010, 07:21 AM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
That plate did not satisfy them...they need it stamped on the frame somewhere or on a sticker. Anyone know where the "hidden" VINs are?
Maybe call a Ford dealership and see if someone there knows of another location.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:56 PM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
Were you ever able to get your new truck registered? I noticed today when I was changing my coils and plugs that there is a sticker on the drivers side valve cover that has the VIN on it. Mine was a bit worn off, but you can still make it out. Take a look there.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:52 PM
madfella
New User
Were you ever able to get your new truck registered? I noticed today when I was changing my coils and plugs that there is a sticker on the drivers side valve cover that has the VIN on it. Mine was a bit worn off, but you can still make it out. Take a look there.

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Please help me locate my VIN