Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2014, 08:44 AM
Posting Guru

BruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to behold
I'm nowhere near a jag expert, but in my machinist days the shear number of aluminum jag heads I saw that were complete junk was astounding. That's my gripe, many would chock it up to poor coolant maintenance but IIRC the aluminum they used contributed greatly to the issue. Mostly however I had to toss something out there so I did.

Worst is hard, sure a lot of engines weren't good but many were early before they knew better or cheap engines from cheap companies. Also we talking families or specific models, overall design flaws or specific issues on otherwise good engines, know what I mean? However a couple bad engines that should have been much better come to mind now, both Cadillac's, the 4.1 and the northstar.

The 5.7 diesel comes to mind, I don't consider that an overall flawed design. It was crippled by GMs poor final execution and how they dealt with it. Largely it only had one real flaw, they used very insufficient torque to yield head bolts, the head bolts failed of course, this was made worse by the GM dealer techs re-using the bolts on the inevitable warranty head gasket repairs.
“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ―Samuel Adams
Old 07-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Old School Hot Rodder

85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.
william.a.vose
Brute, I owned two different cars with the 5.7L diesel, got real proficient at changing head gaskets. The real issue with these, only 10 head bolts per head, and they were 1/2-13, same as a 351W. The upgraded bolts were actually never torque to yield, but were some tough material, stronger than GR8 bolts.

The common failure on these was the inboard bolt on the left bank between #5 and #7 cylinder. Since they fired one after the other, the peak load on this bolt was incredible (found this out when we acquired a Raymond Boltmaster at work) as a result, this bolt would fatigue fail from the cyclic loading.

As for reusing the bolts, GMs recall and various TSBs instructed that all the bolts be replaced, just like a 3.8L Ford V6.
http://www.oldschoolhotrodder.com
"growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional"
Old 07-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Posting Guru

BruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to behold
Two bad ones just came to mind;

The chevy 2.8L V6, that sucker was total junk. never made decent power and never lasted long. I'd be surprised if there are many at all still on the road.

The Jeep 4.0L I6, this is an interesting one as it has a long history, it's an evolution of the Nash I6 engine taken over by AMC when Nash went bankrupt and put in Jeeps when AMC bought Jeep in the mid 60s, then continued by Chrysler when they bought Jeep. Anyway, they never made decent power and one that will last 200Kmi is rare indeed. They have very poor rod bearing oiling and generally start getting a knock in the IIRC #4 rod bearing long before reaching 200K depending on oil maintenance.
“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ―Samuel Adams
Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
Brute, I owned two different cars with the 5.7L diesel, got real proficient at changing head gaskets. The real issue with these, only 10 head bolts per head, and they were 1/2-13, same as a 351W. The upgraded bolts were actually never torque to yield, but were some tough material, stronger than GR8 bolts.

The common failure on these was the inboard bolt on the left bank between #5 and #7 cylinder. Since they fired one after the other, the peak load on this bolt was incredible (found this out when we acquired a Raymond Boltmaster at work) as a result, this bolt would fatigue fail from the cyclic loading.

As for reusing the bolts, GMs recall and various TSBs instructed that all the bolts be replaced, just like a 3.8L Ford V6.
Wow well I learn something new everyday, I was going off what I remember of what I've read. A while back I was mildly interested in building one, I thought it might have potential as a good diesel for a Jeep CJ and did some internet searching having never owned or even worked on one. I take it then you're not a fan of those engines?

I have to tip my hat to you, you know your stuff.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:27 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2fords View Post
for the hauling that i do, i had to move to a 3/4 ton truck, but before that i drove a nissan 2.4 litre for many hundreds of thousand of miles ... ridiculously trouble-free and dependable. everyone i ever met who owned one agreed.
I tend to agree, I'm a fan of Nissan engines in general. I was all about hot rodding my 510 with a hoped up L-series back in the day. Had an L18 with a L16 SS head, DCOEs, a stahl header and big erson cam. That sucker would scream, I had a blast kicking Honda **** in my always underestimated 72 2dr 510.

These days I got my mom driving a maxima with a 3.0, so far 140K completely trouble free miles and no signs of wear.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Old School Hot Rodder

85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.
william.a.vose
Not a big fan of them in some ways, in others, yes. 31 mpg highway in a full size 4dr sedan. It was a 1978 Olds Delta 88 Royale with the handling package added. I had a front and rear sway bar set that was listed for Delta 88 and Catalina Police cars, that and one size up tires and Koni shocks when the originals wore out. Trivia, my front Konis were some of the first out of the newly opened Harrisonburg VA plant.

Car would go around an exit ramp at double the posted safe speed and scare the heck out of other cars, it sat like a police Chevy. I drove it to Jacksonville FL to a Mercedes-Benz training center. The head of the center asked the second day if they could borrow it for a while, next thing I know, I hear the sound of an 8 cyl diesel on their chassis dyno. When I got the keys back later, I had a full tank of fuel.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:03 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteFord View Post
The Jeep 4.0L I6, this is an interesting one as it has a long history, it's an evolution of the Nash I6 engine taken over by AMC when Nash went bankrupt and put in Jeeps when AMC bought Jeep in the mid 60s, then continued by Chrysler when they bought Jeep. Anyway, they never made decent power and one that will last 200Kmi is rare indeed. They have very poor rod bearing oiling and generally start getting a knock in the IIRC #4 rod bearing long before reaching 200K depending on oil maintenance.
never heard this before. everything i have ever heard of jeep is that the 4.0 is the most dependable engine they ever used.
i know of 6 jeep 4.0 six cylinder engines with over 300,000 miles on them that have never been taken apart, and my buddy that runs a junk yard has never had a jeep come in that did not still run like a top. the body will fall off them but they still purr.

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:04 PM
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Jakebrake has a good reputation on FTE.Jakebrake has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
never heard this before. everything i have ever heard of jeep is that the 4.0 is the most dependable engine they ever used.
i know of 6 jeep 4.0 six cylinder engines with over 300,000 miles on them that have never been taken apart, and my buddy that runs a junk yard has never had a jeep come in that did not still run like a top. the body will fall off them but they still purr.
I think that 4.0 inline six is a sweet engine. I have never owned one but have several friends with older jeeps with that motor and they have been trouble free...good power and fuel economy also. I drove an old girlfriends Cherokee with a manual tranny on a 1100 mile trip about 12 years ago and I was impressed. 4 people and loaded with camping gear and food and it just hummed along on the highway and through the mountains.
Ken-2006 F350 PSD CC/SB FX4 Lariat w/Torqueshift, Readylift SST 2.5" Leveling Kit, Toyo 285/75-18 AT's, Edge Evolution, MagHyTec Diff & Tranny covers, Dieselsite Coolant & Tranny Filters, Rancho RS 9000XL Shocks, FS2500 Oil Bypass Filter, Magnaflow SS Exhaust, Magnefine PS Filter, BulletProof Diesel EGR Cooler, Blue Spring upgrade, FICM by Ed @ FICMRepair.com
Old 07-13-2014, 01:26 PM
Freshman User

respectedtech86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
When your motor passes 300,000 with no problems then I will believe you
Old 07-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

william.a.vose
You want over 300,000 I had a Mercedes-Benz 220S with the M180V (vergasser) engine, 450,000 before the floor got so bad you could check the tire wear through the rust holes. My best friend has an 03 E-250 with over 600,000 on the 5.4L engine.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Freshman User

respectedtech86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
[QUOTE=85lebaront]ok I believe you because you mentioned the flinstone action.I drove a 240 inline 6 3/4 ton Ford.took it passed 850,000. and it rotted away.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Posting Guru

IMO really not that hard to get an engine, even gassers to 300K these days. Just takes a decent engine that isn't undersized or abused while being well maintained. Engines are better all around and cost effective synthetic oils have made a huge difference.

As for the 4.0 thing, my experience is a lot of rod knocks. I might have been a little to harsh though. Maybe it's a Chrysler version thing cause I'll have to admit a lot of the AMC versions are still kicking. My dad's owned 2 4.0s the first in a small Cherokee made it about 220K, the second he still owns in a Wrangler Rubicon and he hates it.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:05 PM
I am the NRA and I vote

gatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud of
A friend of mine had a 75 Gremlin with a 258 i6. It was 1 of the toughest lil engines I have ever seen. He sold it to another friend after about 175,000 and as far as I know it is running today.
78 Bronco Ranger XLT, 358, Edelbrock performer 400 and Holley 600 carb, Erson cam. Ugly, but DAMN FORD TOUGH Speak softly and carry a large caliber. Bring them home NOW! Get out and vote or kwitchyerbitchin.
Allen
Old 08-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Canadian, eh?

trozei has a good reputation on FTE.trozei has a good reputation on FTE.trozei has a good reputation on FTE.
I've never heard of a bad Jeep 4.0L before. I think it's pretty much unanimous that the inline six engines last the longest. The ford 300, the Jeep 4.0L (apparently debatable though), the Toyota 2JZ...

1969 Ford F100 300 C4 // 1973 Ford F100 Ranger 360 C6 // 2004 Ford F150 FX4 5.4L // 1995 BMW 525i
Old 08-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Senior User

Deadsquiggles is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah, those are the longest lasting gas engines, I thought. My friend bought a 95 Wrangler our Junior year of high school with 210k on it and he dogged the **** out of it till he totaled it at 320k.

My dad's old 95 F150 with the 300 made it to 250k before he traded it in.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:43 PM