Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Best & Worst Engines Ever Made ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 02:44 PM
BigDH01
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 92f150I6
I will pick the two items I have knowlege about.

1) Power in not what tows trailers, torque is. While the 300 I6 does not have the biggest amount of torque, it has a lot right at the bottom of the rev range, right where you need it for towing. The hardest part of towing is getting the load moving, not keeping it that way (got to love Newton's laws of physics) While the 300 6 is not the best choice for this situation, it will outperform many small V8's in this situation. Hell, You could get the 300-6 in heavier duty applications, such as the f250.

THE 4 speed transmission has a granny low gear, which drasticly improves pulling ability at low revs, an area which the I6 excels.
He says that he has the 11" clutch, so cluths slipping wont be a problem.
Gotta love Newton's laws, that's right. An object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. This would mean that once the I6 started the load moving it would keep going forever, *IF* we lived in a vacuum such as space with no objects nearby emitting a gravitational force. Unfortunately, as long as we are on Earth we will always have to deal with 9.8 m/s^2 gravity at sea level. Not to mention friction and the resistance of moving the air in front of the trailer and truck. Friction on a 20000 lb trailer alone would be incredible. Frictional resistance, of course, equals the normal force times the coefficient of friction. N=mg or mass*gravity. The coefficient of friction between the tire and the pavement is unknown to me and is the combination of several factors. How much tire is touching the pavement at any time? What type of pavement? etc. I'm sure this number is approaching 2 or even higher. You could see that this number is going to be high. Then you have the air in front of the trailer and truck being compressed creating another force acting against the motion of the truck/trailer. This is all on flat ground. On a hill you have to contend with these forces plus an addition force creating by gravity alone. In this case it would be sin = opposite/hypotenuse. Sin being the angle of the hill above flat ground, hypotenuse being mass*gravity. Multiply hypotenuse by sin (a) and you get opposite of the force acting against the motion. Sin (a) will never be greater than one, but it will still be a substantial force combined with the other two. The whole point of this Spiel was to illustrate some people's company loyalty to the point of being blind. There is no way this I6 in a 1/2 ton was pulling a 20000 lb trailer especially uphill. If you believe he was pulling it and especially pulling it "well" then you are blind also. You shouldn't let company loyalty distract your common sense.

Dustin

edited: spelling

Last edited by BigDH01; 07-06-2003 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:20 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dustin, book learning and common sense don't always come together and it does take both. Most people tend to embelish a little when trying to make a point. I think the point here is the 300 is a workhorse, not the acuracy of the actual numbers. The 300 remains one heck of a engine no matter whose camp you are from.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:26 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BigDH01
Gotta love Newton's laws, that's right.

I know that ther are other forces which effect the load. But You argument does not take into accout that the trailer is a rolling load. Your reasoning would be for dragging a 20000 pound trailer. Something i'd bet even a 6.0 PSD would never do. Still, the hardest thing to do is get the load moving from a start. wether it be gravity acting upon the trailer up hill or not, starting out is the hardest part. I am not saying that the 1/2 ton 300 6 would pull that load no problem, but it could do it. It is possible.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:33 PM
BigDH01
New User

Originally posted by willowbilly3
Dustin, book learning and common sense don't always come together and it does take both. Most people tend to embelish a little when trying to make a point. I think the point here is the 300 is a workhorse, not the acuracy of the actual numbers. The 300 remains one heck of a engine no matter whose camp you are from.
I'm sure many people have had great experience with the I6, but the quoted experience obviously never happened. Unfortunately, we must have observations to make conclusions and embellishments like the one created in this thread make me question any conclusions that have been made about the I6. I'm not saying everyone lies about the performance of this engine, it just calls to point the validity of some of the testimony. People tend to love and cherish the products they own, especially when the products are this expensive and there is such a division between the people who own said product and the people who own competing products. People like to feel like they 'got a good deal' or 'made the right choice,' it's natural human psychology. I'm just questioning one thing: did the great engine make the loyalists or did the loyalists make the great engine?

Dustin

Old 07-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Common sense is devoid in whoever would put a 20,000 lb load on a 1/2 ton truck.
Yes a 300 I6 could do it, the truck would not hold up long enough to go anywhere.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:47 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mattsbox99
Common sense is devoid in whoever would put a 20,000 lb load on a 1/2 ton truck.
Yes a 300 I6 could do it, the truck would not hold up long enough to go anywhere.
Thank you. That is my point, it is possible.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend

No problem, I didn't think I had to point that out though.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:56 PM
BigDH01
New User

Originally posted by 92f150I6
I know that ther are other forces which effect the load. But You argument does not take into accout that the trailer is a rolling load. Your reasoning would be for dragging a 20000 pound trailer. Something i'd bet even a 6.0 PSD would never do. Still, the hardest thing to do is get the load moving from a start. wether it be gravity acting upon the trailer up hill or not, starting out is the hardest part. I am not saying that the 1/2 ton 300 6 would pull that load no problem, but it could do it. It is possible.
There is no doubt that accelerating this load does take the most amount of force, I am not arguing this fact. It's to say whether the I6 in a 1/2 ton has the necassary force to keep said load moving, especially uphill. The tire, even when rolling, will have a kinetic coefficient of friction with the ground or pavement. Granted the kinetic coefficient is probably less than 1, it will still be a large impact because of the 20000 lb weight. If this friction did not exist then you could never accelerate nor could you stop. You have to have enough friction to grip and move. I do know some physics well (it's what being an engineering student does to you) and we've done these problems before, albiet not overly complicated. There is, however, another force which I did exclude and that is the resistance of the tire to deformation. With such a heavy weight the tires will flatten where they meet the pavement. This deformation causes resistance as the rubber, under pressure, wants to maintain equilibrium and its natural shape. This means the vehicle and trailer are losing energy to air compression (resistance), tire deformation, and friction between the flat area of the tire and the pavement. Therefore, I stand by my original claim that a 1/2 ton I6 truck will certainly not pull this load well, and in my honest opinion, it'd probably not pull it at all.

Dustin

Old 07-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend

You are beating a dead horse.

Old 07-06-2003, 07:22 PM
BigDH01
New User

Respectfully disagreeing . I'm just trying to point out that although the I6 may have been a good engine it cannot do the impossible.

Dustin

Old 07-06-2003, 07:23 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend

To my understanding thats the general consensus.

Old 07-06-2003, 07:30 PM
alfalfa6945
Freshman User

You are beating a dead horse.
The road does in fact go both ways

Old 07-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend

Do you have something to add?

Old 07-06-2003, 07:50 PM
alfalfa6945
Freshman User

Do you have something to add?
About as much as you do...
But seriously, I "add"ed it up, it didn't make sense, I left it alone.
I was just pointing out that it's a two way street, and when one guy is "beating a dead horse", someone else is there trying to resuscitate it.

Old 07-06-2003, 08:20 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by BigDH01
I'm sure many people have had great experience with the I6, but the quoted experience obviously never happened. Unfortunately, we must have observations to make conclusions and embellishments like the one created in this thread make me question any conclusions that have been made about the I6. I'm not saying everyone lies about the performance of this engine, it just calls to point the validity of some of the testimony. People tend to love and cherish the products they own, especially when the products are this expensive and there is such a division between the people who own said product and the people who own competing products. People like to feel like they 'got a good deal' or 'made the right choice,' it's natural human psychology. I'm just questioning one thing: did the great engine make the loyalists or did the loyalists make the great engine?

Dustin
You make some good points here and I would not blindly support such claims. I only support people being able to use this forum without having their character slandered, even if their facts are obviously erronious. Look at the whole thread and you will see that this engine has a great amount of support.
If this little engine isn't for you or you had bad experiences with them, well that happens. I have had 4 of them and not without problems. Overall they performed as well as I could expect, but people mean more to me than any engine or brand loyalty. I just feel that insulting someone to make a point reveals some undesirable traits in a persons character. I will say it again, let's be nice.
As for your cause and effect statement, I am sure it comes both ways. As for me I was destitute for a vehicle and pulled into a Ford dealership with a broken cam in my 69 highboy. I bought the only thing I could get a deal on, a year old leftover E-100 with a 300 and C6. I liked it but the van was too wimpy. Then I had a chance to buy a low milage 72 3/4 ton 2wd with a 300 4 spd and disc brakes. I have now had that truck for 18 years. I married into one. An 83 Bronce 300 C6. It had nearly 200,000 and still ran good. We had about a week of minus 50 and when it warmed up to -35 it started right up and sat there and idled perfect, wasn't plugged in either. The other one was actually my Dad's. A 79 F-150 4 speed. It ran great but was a horrible driving pickup for some reason. 4 for 4. I haven't done that well with any other engine.

Quick Reply: Best & Worst Engines Ever Made ?!?!