1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

1960 F100 4X4 and 4X2 Leaf Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:08 PM
JPBrecheisen
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy
Jonathan; Do you need the driver side or the passenger side? They are different sizes. the one for the DS has a hole spread of ~5" PS ~4". The part # stamped in the parts are--
DS== B9TT-5442-B
PS== B9TT-5A500-A

A quick web check found nothing for either number.

I know you're working on a 1960 and some changes were made to the front axle during the 60 period. But just thought this might help!

Wally,

Thanks for the part numbers. I hadn't gotten under there with a wire brush to read the part numbers yet. I like that Ford stamped everything in that way. I appIreciate the information.

From what I can tell, I may need the driver's side. It looks like it could be bent to some degree. I need to get it apart to be fully sure.

Thanks again. Love your truck BTW.

Jonathon

Old 02-21-2015, 10:11 PM
JPBrecheisen
Freshman User
Originally Posted by thundersnow70
Don't be so quick to think the rear brackets are junk. I also have a 1960 f250 4x4 and the brackets from the factory look like they have been repaired on a farm. Mainly what looks like washers welded on the side of the bracket. That is factory ford 4x4 washer welding on the sides of the bracket from what I have seen.

Thanks for the heads up on the factory Ford welding. One of mine has the welded washer like you're talking about, but I need to post pics. I think you'll agree these are a little messed up once you see them. It looks to me like the rear bolt on the driver's side spring failed and they operated the truck like that for some time. I'm certain they both can be repaired, but I wanted to have a set of brackets on stand-by just in case. I wanted everything to line up in the end.

I will take a few pics when its daylight and post.

Thanks for chiming in with the information. I appreciate any tips anybody has.

Jonathon

Old 02-21-2015, 10:19 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
You are welcome. Its kind of odd that those numbers don't jive with the book. NumberDummy may happen by and cast additional info.
Ford changed part numbers frequently and he has access to other files that can cross reference old numbers to new numbers. Ford magic, he has it.
If you would like pictures or measurements to compare I have a spare set stashed.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:34 PM
JPBrecheisen
Freshman User
Originally Posted by thundersnow70
Don't be so quick to think the rear brackets are junk. I also have a 1960 f250 4x4 and the brackets from the factory look like they have been repaired on a farm. Mainly what looks like washers welded on the side of the bracket. That is factory ford 4x4 washer welding on the sides of the bracket from what I have seen.

Here is a few pics of my brackets. As you can see, they are kinda chewed up.

Jonathon

Attached Images   
Old 02-22-2015, 10:39 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Johnathon Just to clarify The part numbers I posted earlier [QUOTE]
DS== B9TT-5442-B
PS== B9TT-5A500-A/QUOTE]
Are for the spring pack clamp (5a316 in your picture of the book page), not the rear hanger.
These

That should be clear as mud for any future viewers

Old 02-23-2015, 07:19 AM
JPBrecheisen
Freshman User
[QUOTE=theodore/teddy;15114051]Johnathon Just to clarify The part numbers I posted earlier
DS== B9TT-5442-B
PS== B9TT-5A500-A/QUOTE]
Are for the spring pack clamp (5a316 in your picture of the book page), not the rear hanger.
These

That should be clear as mud for any future viewers
Wally,

10-4. I must have been misleading in my post. I have issues with BOTH items. The rear hangers on the front springs, AND the brackets you posted, which are the 5A316. I was able to acquire a set of NOS rear hangers, so I'm set in that area.

The next problem is, the brackets you posted, my driver's side one looks a bit distorted, so I was going to keep on the look-out for one.

I posted the pic of the rear bracket since it was suggested that the welding on them could be factory. I was simply posting to show that they were in-fact damaged and repaired by non-factory methods.

Can you do me a favor and post a side profile view of those brackets as they lay flat on the table?

The issue I have with mine is that it appears to be "wrapped" around the axle a bit, almost as if someone tightened the heck out of the u-bolts and it sort of began to pull it around the axle housing. The WX here is terrible, but when it gets better, I'll snap a pic.

Thanks again for the efforts and information. This is my first old Ford truck, so I appreciate the education.

Jonathon

Old 02-23-2015, 08:29 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Happy to help. I don't have a lot of experience with restorations, this my only one but I have had Teddy for about 44 years.

The driverside may have a slight twist in it.

I would like to see pictures of your project as you progress.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:55 PM
JPBrecheisen
Freshman User
Happy to help. I don't have a lot of experience with restorations, this my only one but I have had Teddy for about 44 years.

The driverside may have a slight twist in it.

I would like to see pictures of your project as you progress.

Wally,

Thanks for the additional pictures. Maybe mine are ok. The wx here is freezing rain, but I'll get out there and send a few pics when I can. My main concern with the caps was the u-bolts don't go straight down like I am used to seeing. By the looks of your caps, I guess the u-bolts would be slightly at an angle once tightened down.

I'm certainly no restoration expert either, but having the experience that you do with your truck should certainly help with mine. Its off by a single year, but I bet most of its the same.

I posted some pics already, but I snapped a few of the "starting point" yesterday.

Always wanted a 1959 Factory 4x4 Ford F250, but I was able to find this '60, and so far am happy with it. Has a locked up motor right now, so its soaking. I hope I can free it up.

Jonathon

Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2015, 09:28 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Well it looks like a great truck to start with, body appears to be straight, no major changes! Is the running gear complete? Is the engine a six or Y-block

Old 02-23-2015, 10:19 PM
JPBrecheisen
Freshman User
Well it looks like a great truck to start with, body appears to be straight, no major changes! Is the running gear complete? Is the engine a six or Y-block

The body is pretty straight. I was surprised how good it was when I picked it up. The only real body damage is isolated to the doors. Other than a few dings from stuff rolling around in the bed on the farm, there isn't any major dents. The cab has one sour spot on the driver corner and the inside sun visor area looks like its starting but can be saved.

Its a custom cab trim with 292 V8, all original running gear with 4:56 ratio axles. I think maybe with that low a gear it may have had the 19 inch steel wheels? I'm not real sure.

I'm pretty excited about it. It had been sitting in a farmers field apparently for years. That's why the motor is set-up. That's what I was told anyway. For having been on a farm, the truck is remarkably complete and just about everything (minus the rear front spring brackets) is in its place and not molested or cobbled.

I'm hoping to get the motor freed up soon. In the meantime I'm searching parts etc for items I think I may need.

Jonathon

Old 02-24-2015, 09:02 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
[QUOTE]Its a custom cab trim with 292 V8, all original running gear with 4:56 ratio axles. I think maybe with that low a gear it may have had the 19 inch steel wheels? I'm not real sure.
/QUOTE]
All 1959 F250 got that ratio, 4:56 rear and 4:55 front. My truck came with tubeless 17.5 wheel option. With the 7400 GVW they had the option of 800 x 17.5 or 8.00 x 19.5. According to my 1959 Ford service booklet #7, it shows a foot note that this option was only available with V8 and 4speed, however my truck was a 7400 GVW , V8 with 3 speed on the column.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:42 PM
JPBrecheisen
Freshman User
[QUOTE=theodore/teddy;15118798]
Its a custom cab trim with 292 V8, all original running gear with 4:56 ratio axles. I think maybe with that low a gear it may have had the 19 inch steel wheels? I'm not real sure.
/QUOTE]
All 1959 F250 got that ratio, 4:56 rear and 4:55 front. My truck came with tubeless 17.5 wheel option. With the 7400 GVW they had the option of 800 x 17.5 or 8.00 x 19.5. According to my 1959 Ford service booklet #7, it shows a foot note that this option was only available with V8 and 4speed, however my truck was a 7400 GVW , V8 with 3 speed on the column.
Are these the 19.5 wheels in the stock photos?

Also, I snapped some quick photos of my spring u-bolt clamps. As you can see, the driver's side is a bit cobbled, but the clamp itself looks like it may be ok. The part that concerns me is the angle the u-bolts go down at. The passenger side is pretty much straight down like I am used to seeing.

Thanks for the info on the truck. I need to check the ration of the front axle. I'd heard of older 4x4's having the higher ratio in the front so the front axle will pull the truck along, but I've never seen it. I'll have to check the tag if there still is one on my front axle.

Jonathon

Attached Images     

Last edited by JPBrecheisen; 02-24-2015 at 10:45 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 02-25-2015, 08:28 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
[QUOTE=JPBrecheisen;15121414]
Are these the 19.5 wheels in the stock photos?

Also, I snapped some quick photos of my spring u-bolt clamps. As you can see, the driver's side is a bit cobbled, but the clamp itself looks like it may be ok. The part that concerns me is the angle the u-bolts go down at. The passenger side is pretty much straight down like I am used to seeing.

Thanks for the info on the truck. I need to check the ration of the front axle. I'd heard of older 4x4's having the higher ratio in the front so the front axle will pull the truck along, but I've never seen it. I'll have to check the tag if there still is one on my front axle.

Jonathon
Yes those look like 19.5's

Your U-bolts do look splayed out. My top spring plate on the driver side has three notches in it. You can kinda see it in these pics.

I don't remember if the plate came that way or if I added the extra notch. I do remember having the same concern you are having so when they go back on I move the U-bolt to the front notch, spreading the tops out to match the width of the housing.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:07 PM
JPBrecheisen
Freshman User
Wally,

Thanks for helping with this. It makes me feel a little better that yours was sort of the same way. Makes me think there is "less wrong" besides the cobbled up u-bolts. I will take a second look at the spring plate and see if there are additional notches. I've just never seen u-bolts set up that way before, but I suppose if the spread between the two caps has a difference of 1", and the upper spring plate is the same on each spring, the u-bolts would have to be splayed out a tad just to make up the extra inch of spread on the cap.

Thanks for the input and photos. I need to get into mine soon.

Jonathon

Old 02-25-2015, 11:41 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
I think that is something that bothered me way back when and I modified the top plate. Today I dug out the top plates that came on the half-ton front axle I bought recently and they both had just two notches each.
Good luck with your project and keep us updated.

Quick Reply: 1960 F100 4X4 and 4X2 Leaf Springs