1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f-250 steering box adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
f-250 steering box adjustment

I just bought a 2003 f-250 7.3 with 150k miles. My alignment guy said the steering box needed tightening up. He did and I noticed it was a little tight turning, but didn't feel comfortable questioning him. Subsequently, there is a groan when I turn the wheel now. It's been about a month since he adjusted it.

Does anybody have any ideas what this might be?

Thanks,

Wayne

Old 03-14-2010, 07:26 PM
sjgordo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would try backing the adjustment off and see if it stops. On top of the steering box there is a nut w/allen head, nut is a 5/8's i beleive. Mark the allen head with paint stick or something so you can tell how much you turn it. Just loosen nut and turn allen head counter clock wise just a 1/4 at a time. If you back it off a 1/4 and it goes away your all set if not keep at it and make sure your steering wheel isnt getting sloppy.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:36 PM
bunklash
Elder User
Not to hijack the thread, but gotta ask, what is the purpose of adjusting the steering box? It won't tighten up my turning radius will it?
Thanks.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
No, It's supposed to tighten up slack in the steering wheel. It's a last resort if you've already done ball joints, tie rod ends, and bushings.

It helped mine a some, cut the slack in half. I ended up going a half turn on the adjustment screw.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Thanks, guys!

The interesting thing is I haven't done all the other things first. I'm not quite sure where that leaves me. I guess I should back it off a 1/4 turn and see what happens. I've been thinking of doing all those things but haven't got started on it, yet.
Do you think the power steering pump maybe damaged?

Wayne

Old 03-15-2010, 08:47 AM
sjgordo
Junior User
You could have a pump going bad, just try to back of the adjustment and if nothing changes check the pump, fluid level ok? Have someone in the truck turning the wheel and listen to the pump if it’s screaming could be the pump on its way out!

Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I tightened my box ('01, 160K) and it removed the slack, but the box still feels worn out. As someone pointed out, the wear all happens in the 'straight ahead' position where you do most of your driving, so adjusting the box can make it tight in the unworn areas. I have adjusted several other boxes with success, so it can work, but not on every box, every time.

In my case, the front end is tight (all parts replaced), so I may just replace the box.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
I'll check it out as you say, and see what happens. It just seems like quite a coincidence that the pump started howling after it was tightened.
I really want to replace all the bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, steering damper, u joints and will probably replace the steering box. It's a super nice truck and is worth making it run right.

Does anyone know someone in the South Central Kentucky area that works on Power strokes and really knows how to do the job properly. I don't feel capable of doing something that extensive.

Thanks,
Wayne

Old 03-15-2010, 06:17 PM
WestxSRT10
Elder User
Originally Posted by Waynenap
I'll check it out as you say, and see what happens. It just seems like quite a coincidence that the pump started howling after it was tightened.
I really want to replace all the bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, steering damper, u joints and will probably replace the steering box. It's a super nice truck and is worth making it run right.

Does anyone know someone in the South Central Kentucky area that works on Power strokes and really knows how to do the job properly. I don't feel capable of doing something that extensive.

Thanks,
Wayne
If you want it done right, do it yourself its easy.
You must first and always jack the front end off the ground during the adjustments. Test the steering wheel for binding as you adjust the box. Adjust it till you feel a tightness in the wheel then back off till it easy to turn the wheel inside the cab.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:22 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by WestxSRT10
Adjust it till you feel a tightness in the wheel then back off till it easy to turn the wheel inside the cab.
And always check it near the ends of travel for binding. A worn box will lock up near the ends, but still be sloppy in the middle (that sounded bad)

Old 03-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Waynenap
Elder User
I'll check out that adjustment but I actually meant I needed someone to do all the replacement work for the rest of what I want to do.

Wayne

Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Downriver Thunder
Posting Guru
It is possible to adjust it too far and too tight. I was warned by the guy that works on our trucks not to adjust it, you can damage the whole box if you don't do it right.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 AM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Wayne: If you just bought your truck, then back off the steering adj. a little and then drive it a while. I have the same truck as you, and mine has always seem to wander a little. After I drove it a while, I hardly notice it. My plan is to put adjustable ball joints in when mine go bad.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
I backed off the adjustment a quarter turn. It loosened it up a bit but I need to drive it a bit more to guage how it is.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Waynenap
Elder User
It's a little looser but still moans a little on slow speed turns. I'm going to do a power steering flush this weekend, if all goes well.
It did increase the play in the steering, though.

Wayne

Quick Reply: f-250 steering box adjustment